Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-23-2008, 04:27 PM

764 posts, read 2,037,178 times

Advertisements

I'm looking for info about lakes/reservoirs near the Springs. I see on maps the Rampart Reservoir is nearby (kayaking is allowed there--yay!) and I also see Palmer Lake further north. I'm mostly interested in kayak/canoe possibilities and possibly lakes for wading/kid stuff, too (I see that wading is prohibited at Rampart).

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2008, 06:18 PM

2,437 posts, read 8,184,079 times
If you use google earth, I made a KMZ file which I can send you that will show you all the Boatable Waters that I could find in the State of Colorado. Also, check out this link...
Boatable Waters - Colorado State Parks

As for the nearest local spots, here's what I know first hand:
Rampart Reservoir - Boating: yes Paddling: yes, BUT not this year due to the Zebra Mussel invasion. Check with the dept of fish and game for more info on that.
Palmer Lake - Fishing is allowed, and it's even stocked. Paddling and swimming are not allowed but they have a master plan to allow it, pending final approval. It will always be too small for power boating though.
Upper and Lower Palmer Reservoirs: Fishing ONLY, no swimming or boating, ever.
Monument Lake: Fishing and non-motorized boating is allowed, but not swimming (I think)
Lake Woodmoor: Allows Fishing and non-motorized boating, but apparently it's only open to Woodmoor residents <snobs> (maybe someone could provide more info for this one?)

A little further afield, some of your better bets for fun in and around the water are: Eleven Mile State Park, Chatfield Res., Prospect lake, Lake Pueblo, and of course, the crown jewel of Colorado's non-flowing bodies of water, Lake Granby.

Last edited by treedonkey; 07-23-2008 at 07:03 PM..

Old 07-23-2008, 06:41 PM

2,437 posts, read 8,184,079 times
Default Boatable Lakes in CO - kmz file

1) Unzip the attached zip file on mac or win to extract the kmz file within it.
2) Install Google Earth if you do not already have it
Google Earth
3) In Google earth, choose file>open> then point to that kmz file
4) Make sure "Boatable Waters..." is checked on in GE's places panel
5) Zoom in on Colorado and see all the lakes represented by blue tags - they should be accurate within a mile or so. It's a work in progress. Someday I'd like to have all the lake specific info attached to each flag.
Attached Files
File Type: zip Boatable Waters in CO.zip (8.7 KB, 420 views)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs