Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2008, 05:39 PM

2,957 posts, read 8,376,785 times

Advertisements

It seems like everywhere I go, I end up behind a whole string of cars that drive 10mph under the speed limit.

You'd think for a city of it's size, people would be flying everywhere. It's like that in Chicago, everyone is always doing almost double the speed limit (not that I condone that)

It just drives me nuts when i'm waiting for a green turn arrow, and i'm like only 3 cars back, but by the time I get my chance, the light's already turning yellow, because, and maybe this is a topic for another thread, but for some reason the green lights here last about 3 seconds.

When I'm sitting at a red light, I have to have my foot hovering above the gas pedal, just waiting to pounce on it, like i'm in a drag race or something.

It's like i'm the only person who's noticed the short green lights thing. No one else seems to care much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2008, 06:40 PM

8,214 posts, read 16,700,075 times
Yes, my theory is that they are all trying to conserve gas. When a light turns green the majority lazily accelerate to 10, 12, 14, 18, 20, and eventually 30 mph. LOL... And this is on a work day. It seems like a zombie mode or something. But they will eventually speed up especially if you attempt to pass them. Its like awakening the inner zombie.

Old 08-01-2008, 08:59 PM

268 posts, read 1,130,059 times
I'm with you. I often wonder why people are going 60 in a 65 on 24 or even worse about 55 or 60 in a 75 zone on I-25. I just don't get it.

Old 08-01-2008, 09:10 PM

3,331 posts, read 5,956,654 times
I have no idea, but this city has the most most inconsistent drivers I've ever seen. Some are poking along and some are driving like maniacs. The ones who poke, speed up, slow down, speed up, slow down. Makes me crazy. I think its because there are people from all over here. A lot of Texans (raises hand) --slower guys. A lot of Californians -- maniacs. And then a whole lot of folks from all over with the five military bases here with their own ways. I've been here for eight years now, but I've gotten used to it. But when I go back to Texas to visit family, it always amazes me...everybody drives the same!

Old 08-02-2008, 03:42 AM

1,312 posts, read 7,916,764 times
Try living in Grand Junction when the farmers are in town...30 in a 55 mile hour zone is not unheard of.

As for C Springs, slow down a little. It wont kill you to go a bit slower. Leave a bit earlier and enjoy the scenery.

BTW, I experience just the opposite. I usually go about 5 mph over over the posted limit and people pass me like I am a flippin' snail.

Old 08-02-2008, 04:10 AM

52 posts, read 230,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanek9freak View Post
It seems like everywhere I go, I end up behind a whole string of cars that drive 10mph under the speed limit.

You'd think for a city of it's size, people would be flying everywhere. It's like that in Chicago, everyone is always doing almost double the speed limit (not that I condone that)

It just drives me nuts when I'm waiting for a green turn arrow, and I'm like only 3 cars back, but by the time I get my chance, the light's already turning yellow, because, and maybe this is a topic for another thread, but for some reason the green lights here last about 3 seconds.

When I'm sitting at a red light, I have to have my foot hovering above the gas pedal, just waiting to pounce on it, like I'm in a drag race or something.

It's like I'm the only person who's noticed the short green lights thing. No one else seems to care much.
I have noticed the exact same thing. The drive slow, and are over cautious, but they still crash The stop lights are the longest of anywhere I have ever been including Vegas, and a lot of times they are timed wrong, and the sensors don't work correctly. I have sat over 10 minutes at the stetson hills/powers light at night. One thing I have noticed is people tend to drive slow, and be overcautious but at least they are rude like Ca, Vegas and other places I have been. About all we can do is leave early, and live with it. I try to take back roads, and side streets just to get away from it, even if it takes just as long, or longer.

Old 08-02-2008, 05:05 AM

87 posts, read 458,586 times
My experience is mostly with my own town, I don't leave it much. I did find the Springs confusing, but at least people weren't rude to me when I was puttering along lost considering how busy it is there.

I'm still getting used to the higher speed speed limit here. In Massachusetts, it's mostly 65 everywhere. I have noticed on the local roads, like Mc Culloch here, people crawl along and go way below the speed limit. Then, once they get on Route 50, they drive like a bat out of hell and 75 isn't fast enough for em and they pass you, no matter how fast you're going, they have to be in front. Driving here makes me go

And what's with all the dips in the roads? Almost every car I see is an suv or pickup who can ignore them anyhow...(yet they come to a near stop for them, go figure...)

Then there's the street signs, they aren't always there! I had to go to Fortino Blvd yesterday. I thought I knew where it was, but I wasn't sure. So, I had my gps and it was telling me to take a left, but I couldn't see a street sign to be sure it was in fact the right street. The street sign was on the other side of the highway for the opposite traffic Many places don't have street signs, sometimes they are way high up and you have to hunt for them. Very inconsistent.

Old 08-02-2008, 07:56 PM

2,957 posts, read 8,376,785 times
I just had to deal with this again today. ANd JAF, I know what you mean about the Stetson Hills/Powers interchange. Sometimes that light is rediculous.

Old 08-03-2008, 12:06 AM

52 posts, read 230,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanek9freak View Post
I just had to deal with this again today. ANd JAF, I know what you mean about the Stetson Hills/Powers interchange. Sometimes that light is rediculous.
Ya I spend about 30 minutes of my day waiting at that light. Think of the air pollution, and wasted fuel that causes. Another bad one is Tutt, and N carefree. I guarantee you they could cut back a good amount of pollution, and clean the air up a noticeable amount around here by setting those lights correctly.

Old 08-03-2008, 10:47 AM

26,212 posts, read 49,044,521 times
'cause we left our back east Type-A self-important attitudes back east and just chilled out

was here 3+ months before we heard a single horn honk!

s/Mike
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs