Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-25-2007, 09:55 AM

13 posts, read 206,022 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone,

I am a lady in my mid-forties who anticipates a job offer on the east side near the airport, and will visit within the next couple of weeks. Where should I walk/drive through to get the Spring's flavor? Will it be difficult to make friends if I am no longer on the Christian path?

Thanks,
newbeginnings
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2007, 10:49 AM

4 posts, read 27,698 times
There are 2 areas you might truly enjoy. Definately go to Manitou Springs. My favorite. I'd like to live there, but can't afford the property prices. It has an open feel as far as politics and religion. Holistic healers, crystal shops, hemp clothing, cozy coffee shops. There's a restaurant with a pool table and it's smoky, but it has the best cranberry and walnut salad and steaks. Its just as you enter Manitou proper on the right side. Manitou is tucked inbetween Mtns. and is quaint. Woodland Park is up the pass on 24 west into the mountains. It's growing and will have a hospital soon. Lovely country, open spaces. Windy commute down the pass to the Springs at times. The hiking in these 2 areas is great. (We belong to a small group that hikes on Saturdays). Just outside of downtown Colorado Springs (to the west) is Old Colorado City. Lots of great little shops, galleries, restaurants. Go to Celebration Bookstore on Colorado Ave. - locals. Wicca meetings, yoga, holistic health. You'll love the open atmosphere there as well. All 3 areas are a mix of income levels. Diverse in many ways which give them a unique flavor. Most of us who know Colorado Springs live north of Colorado Springs. (It's really really uptight up here). There's little pockets of liberals, but it takes awhile to ferret them out. Try meeting friendly open and tolerant folks at Unity church on 1945 Mesa Rd, Community of Spritual Living on 3685 Jeannine Dr., All Souls Unitarian Universalist Church on 730 N. Tejon, Eckankar on 1685 W. Uinatah, and Buddhists' meet at Shove Chapel at Colorado College Campus call 684-0210 for info. The city of Colorado Springs is small for a city of 500,000 people (in El Paso county). It's got the southwest feel, and has lots of restaurants, coffee shops (go to Poor Richard's on Tejon - locals), go to the Kimball Theater on Pikes Peak Ave (some movies show there that don't show at Cinemark). Visit our Fine Arts Center (on going art classes at Bemis Art School) and Pioneer Museum. Our downtown is small and you can walk the 3 major streets north and south and several that go east and west. Wonderful gallery on Colorado Ave.: go west out of town: Cottonwood Artists School and Gallery. On going classes (all local artists with about 30 studios at this location). Cascade Ave. going north out of downtown has nice victorian homes. Downtown area to live in is a mix of people and ideas. College students are on Cascade and Nevada Ave. Most of everything else to the east of the city is developer sprawl - just a sea of rooftops. There's an airline corridor of traffic noise (north to south) from the Black Forest area going over Peterson AFB to the C.S. airport. Fort Carson is to the south. Fountain, Security and Widefield are iffy to live in. Lots and lots of conservatives and republicans here! I'd like to visit Eugene, Oregon for a change of pace.

Old 01-25-2007, 11:25 AM

13 posts, read 206,022 times
Thanks for the incredible tour! Actually, I am practicing Bhakti yoga, which is a very conservative lifestyle focused on devotional service to God.

Best wishes,
nb
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs