Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2006, 03:32 PM

14 posts, read 47,862 times

Advertisements

I drive back and forth between Nebraska and Colorado several times a month. In the last two years, we have hit deer and antelope SIX TIMES! The population is absolutely thick and needs to be thinned out IMO. It's cost us several thousand dollars a year in insurance deductibles, but luckily no one in our family has been severly hurt. I don't think banning lewis ranch will disrupt the antelope or deer population any time soon. What's between COS and Kansas City?...not a whole heck of alot. I think there is plenty of room for us all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2006, 09:37 PM

648 posts, read 2,940,129 times
I read the Gazette last Sunday, they had a huge article about Banning Lewis Ranch. According to the article in the paper, they have no plans to build a high school for the students that currently go there, K-8. So, those kids will be put in the already existing high schools in D-49. According to the article there is already crowding in those high schools. bashep

Old 12-27-2006, 12:30 AM

32 posts, read 89,417 times
Quote:
Do the earth a favor and stay where you are. I will be doing everything in my power to stop this construction. It's disgusting and it makes no sense. I've been to the website http://www.banninglewisranch.com/?hardreset
and they make it sound like they are doing nature a favor. The only favor they could do, is leave it alone. peace and love for the next seven generations.

-Muriel

Alrighty, Muriel...population growth is a fact of humanity, and we will build where once the antelope roamed. The land on where your college is located was once a deer loafing ground! They can move to Eastern CO and into Kansas, still native habitat.

The Banning Lewis masterplan has been delayed multiple times, but I couldn't tell you why since official PR info has not been forthcoming. However, living right off of Marksheffel road now and driving by the development quite often, after MONTHS of an army of heavy construction machinery activity it appears much of the final grading has been complete (rough in streets/lots). They are now covering the exposed land with straw and I assume the master developer will soon allow the builders will begin building their models any day. I recall seing a sign that they will be open for shop in the Spring--we'll see...since a year ago they were slated to be selling now.

The BL website does paint a desirous masterplan concept, and it looks like "Village 1" (Northtree) has dinky lots. The city of COS had or still has the masterplan available online if I recall correctly. The COS airport flightpath historically runs roughly along Marksheffel on the edge of the property (incoming/landing). I would expect flight noise to be a concern to those opposed to it.

However, in my opinion, the BL development is very Colorado Plains with excellent views of Pikes Peak and the range. If developed properly I think this master plan could offer a welcome addition to an otherwise disjointed and half-baked city in terms of local amenities thoughtfully integrated into the local community: trails, open space, greenbelts, parks, and community centers.

Is this the largest masterplan community in the world??? Time will tell, but I think the potential is there. As Irvine, CA has become a 1970's success in the proof of concept in masterplanned communities (if you don't know what I mean, next time you visit Disneyland, drive through Irvine's mostly meticulous neighborhoods/greenbelts/uniform retail signage) if Capital Pacific replicates similar in Banning Lewis Ranch, homeowners will see lasting value and quality of life--Colorado style.

Chris

Old 12-28-2006, 09:05 PM

119 posts, read 705,743 times
will there be a high school built in the future? I can't see a huge developed community like BL not have a high school in mind. I can see if they don't have one planned right away because it's so new.

BTW Roastedbeans...how dinky is dinky for the lot sizes there? I'll have to look into the area once I'm out there. I don't even know what it looks like aside from seeing it online. The general area seems pretty convenient to lots of places....is that true? And I'm curious what the homes will be going for once built. Does anyone have a clue what range they will be for a single family home or is it too early to tell?

Also...just curious (as my name implies) why is this development being delayed? Thanks for any more info you may have.

Old 12-28-2006, 09:23 PM

648 posts, read 2,940,129 times
There is no plans for a high school to be added to the K-8, which to me makes no sense... In Colorado Springs, most charter schools take their approach to teaching differently. Kids are taught the basics differently, the teaching environment is different. Which is why the school is not built identical to the other D-49 schools. More high schools will be going up in D-49, but those are for the overcrowding that is already happening in D-49. I think it is great that BL built the schools for K-8 in those neighborhoods, but I don't agree w/ them not providing a high school. That is not fair to those kids and their families. bashep

Old 12-29-2006, 01:15 AM

616 posts, read 3,004,435 times
Doesn't sound like a great master plan if schools for all grades are not being provided for. I live in Highlands Ranch and I've been very impressed with how areas for homes, schools (for all grades), shopping, open space, trails, parks, rec centers, and churches were planned out. We feel close to everything. It sounds like BL will be huge, so I am surprised that they will not start out with a high school. In HR (which is mostly built out now) we have 4 high schools.

BTW - I don't necessarily think having a charter school is a good thing. We had a very bad experience with a brand new charter school here in HR. The parent board was out of control and the school administration with it. That is a long story. I'd just be very cautious of any charter school that isn't already established since you don't have the opportunity to talk with parents of kids that have gone (or are going) there to hear what the school is really like.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcdonald View Post
Banning Lewis Ranch is approx. 22000 acres of old homesteads,prairies, and old rail beds. ... Approx. 75,000 homes and businesses are slated to be built on this property in the next 10 to 15 years.
HR is also about 22,000 acres, but only is only projected to have 36,700 homes once fully built out. How much of the 75,000 is projected to be homes? Seems like that number is very high.

Old 12-30-2006, 11:58 PM

32 posts, read 89,417 times
Google Capital Pacific Homes for some more info.

Last edited by Mike from back east; 12-31-2006 at 01:07 PM.. Reason: Commercial links not permitted.

Old 12-31-2006, 08:19 AM

8 posts, read 87,888 times
Roasted beans is correct. The stats I got was from the master plan submitted in 2004. Not only will there be over 75,000 homes(dwellings) but 79 million square feet of office, industrial, and retail space.

Old 12-31-2006, 11:33 PM

616 posts, read 3,004,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcdonald View Post
Roasted beans is correct. The stats I got was from the master plan submitted in 2004. Not only will there be over 75,000 homes(dwellings) but 79 million square feet of office, industrial, and retail space.
Yikes! If that is the case, it will be more than twice the housing density of Highlands Ranch (since they are about the same amount of acreage).

And I thought some areas of HR have the homes crammed too close together. HR has very few condos and apartments (a fact I rather enjoy), so I wonder if Banning Lewis will have much more? Maybe there will be much less open space and parks?

Old 01-16-2007, 10:52 AM

3 posts, read 12,899 times
Default Banning Lewis - about the high school

I actually have contacted a few people involved in the Banning Lewis project because I also am interested in living out there. They ARE going to build a high school. There are several types of schools being built out there, but they obviously have to wait until they sell enough roof tops before they can build. It is projected to be built around 2008 to 2010. Just depends on how quickly the community sells. Hope that information helps everyone. Thanks!!

Sincerely,
a future excited Banning Lewis resident
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs