Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2008, 02:47 PM

1 posts, read 4,556 times

Advertisements

Well after several visits to the Waste Management recycling center on 4th St (off of Stone in case anyone is interested) it is heartening to see just how many people are making the effort to recycle. I've lived all over the country, and Colorado by far has the WORST record for recycling. When I first moved here over 15 years ago, it was almost impossible to recycle short of paying for limited service through your trash company. In New Hampshire the TOWN gives you a bin and picks up your trash and recycling for free. (Yes the property taxes in NH are insane but there is no state income tax or sales tax...) In Fargo, North Dakota, nearly every grocery store and school has recycling drop-off bins all over town. Tacoma, WA is the "holy grail" of recycling. Whatever they don't pick up at the curb you can haul to this wonderfully organized landfill with little "highway" signs for the different recycling areas. They even take styrofoam and fluorescent tubes for free. I guess the mentality here is we have unlimited space to expand the landfill, so who cares?

I don't think that $5 is too much to pay for a unsorted recycling bin. However Bestway is the MOST expensive trash company in town, except for maybe Waste Management. We use Springs Waste, which only picks up aluminum, newspapers and 1 & 2 plastics, which you have to separate into plastic bags. (I haul everything else up to the W/M center) I've also caught these guys emptying the recycling bin right into the hopper with the trash. We have one of those rolling bins for the trash, and our latest bill is now $54 for 3 months, which has steadily increased every billing cycle due to "fuel and dump charges". I'm going to look into L&L Disposal, which I belive is cheaper but I'm not sure what they do about recycling.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2008, 02:02 PM

14 posts, read 51,801 times
Best Way is a locally owned trash service here in the Springs. They now do unsorted recycling - you get one full size can for all your recyclables and they take it for sorting. Talk to your Apt management - maybe whoever does their trash can provide containers.

Old 02-25-2009, 02:44 PM

26,208 posts, read 49,012,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronMoore View Post
Best Way is a locally owned trash service here in the Springs. They now do unsorted recycling - you get one full size can for all your recyclables and they take it for sorting. Talk to your Apt management - maybe whoever does their trash can provide containers.
WM also has that "one bin" service, they call it "single stream" recycling. WM charges a 1-time fee of $84 for a big 96-gallon toter that is just like the trash toter, only it has a bright yellow top to differentiate it from the all-green trash toter.

LINKS:
- Waste Management
- Bestway Disposal (http://www.bestwaydisposal.com/bestway/html/index.html - broken link)

Last edited by Mike from back east; 02-25-2009 at 02:57 PM..

Old 06-01-2009, 05:50 PM

1 posts, read 4,026 times
I'm happy with Waste Connections Inc/US Waste Systems. They pick up every other week, but you don't have to pay for or rent the cans. WM wanted $85 for each tote. WC takes plastic (1-7), glass, cardboard/paper, cans. We recycle over half of our garbage.

Check out this link to for other recycling around the Springs - El Paso County, Colorado - Solid Waste Management Division (http://adm.elpasoco.com/Environmental_Services/Solid_Waste_Management - broken link) Click on RECYCLING DIRECTORY

Old 06-02-2009, 09:29 AM

2,437 posts, read 8,180,958 times
The "R" Rock Yard at I25 and Baptist road now has bins where you can drop you paper, plastic and aluminum recyclables .

Old 01-27-2010, 04:34 PM

50 posts, read 216,821 times
I see different companies listed here. Can you choose your own company or does it depend on what neighborhood you live in?

Old 01-27-2010, 07:57 PM

6,822 posts, read 10,510,104 times
You choose your own.

Old 01-27-2010, 08:09 PM

26,208 posts, read 49,012,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mamameko View Post
I see different companies listed here. Can you choose your own company or does it depend on what neighborhood you live in?
If you have an HOA where you live, they probably arrange for it and pay for via HOA dues. That's how we do it in my 'hood; we pay $98 per year here via the HOA, but back east the same service in Fairfax County cost me $360/year.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs