Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2009, 10:32 AM

73 posts, read 187,098 times

Advertisements

Thanks Mike. You have done an outstanding job with info on your thread for people like me...It should be a perm. fixture at the top of the threads since there are so many us wanting in to COS
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2009, 11:33 PM

565 posts, read 1,847,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cs2go View Post
We are thinking about moving to CS but on a recent visit found that it is almost too isolated with very few places to go. The only direction to head is in Denver. I am comeing from Ca wher there is all kinds of cities to venture too. What do families with young children do besides ski or go to school? Are there public parks or other places children can do in CS. Could someone take me through a typical 5-10year old week after school?
You are correct in that Colorado Springs has less big city areas nearby to venture to...less shopping, less malls, less restaurants, less urban congestion, less pollution...

...however, Colorado Springs has more mountain bike trails, more ski resorts nearby, more large secluded mountain parks nearby, more hunting, more camping nearby, more hiking trails, more horseback riding, more olympic athletes, more snow...

Old 04-09-2010, 02:23 PM

3 posts, read 3,971 times
I actually work with the climbing center on Old Denver Rd in Monument, and we have a TON of kids' climbing programs - summer camps, after school sessions, family specials, etc. The owner just opened up another branch in Colo Spgs, and we've had kids as young as 2 years old coming in to climb, and loving it! Colorado is an amazing outdoorsy state, and climbing is a lot safer than you'd think. I've watched the instructors teaching the kids' programs, and the kids have a blast. The website is [URL="http://www.climbingtherock.com"]www.climbingtherock.com[/URL] if you're interested.

In the same building as the Monument climbing branch is an ice rink, and you can find kids skating around in there all times of the day, and an indoor soccer building with grass turf.

Colorado College also sponsors kids events like Cool Science - a day of free science-related activites for kids - like playing with magnets, making mini water tornadoes, scavenger hunts, that sort of thing. It's fun for adults too. I'd reccommend looking into it.

Old 06-02-2012, 10:43 AM

3 posts, read 11,922 times
My husband and I are moving to Monument with our 2 year old daughter in July. I am a working Mom and I am looking for some "Mom groups" or events for my daughter. I see a ton of groups/activities in the Springs but nothing for Monument...anyone have any recommendations?

Old 06-02-2012, 11:52 AM

6,824 posts, read 10,518,651 times
Monument is small but also very close to the Springs - some people who say they are in the Springs may really be in Monument. Look for groups at the north end of the Springs - are you looking on Meetup.com?

Old 06-02-2012, 03:52 PM

1,836 posts, read 3,166,868 times
The library has a lot of things for kids, including the Monument branch:

Programs and Events for Kids: Monument Library | Pikes Peak Library District

Old 06-09-2012, 06:41 AM

3,490 posts, read 6,099,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cs2go View Post
After doing my research since this question, I feel pretty silly asking it. You are right treedonkey, it is a kids paradise and parents here live for their kids. I think this is why COS is a moving destination for people like us from other states where there is a lack of parental guidance or things to do.
We don't all have kids

My wife and I live for each other, and we're moving there. It certainly is a destination city. It has so many of the things people want in a city. I'm just glad we found it while we still had the flexibility to move.

Old 08-24-2015, 09:19 AM

73 posts, read 187,098 times
Thought I would update my 6 year old post. We decided to move to North Colorado Springs. As I feared, unless you join or pay for extra activities, kids have very limited chance other than school time or paid activity to meet or play. Even these are no guarantee for what we would consider "Normal" playdate opportunity. We have been here 6 years, decided to move on from Colorado Springs, because of this factor alone. We are courteous, respectful people and our kids have same values. Rented/Moved into several neighborhoods and people tend to "Hunker" down inside their homes, summer & winter, rather than play outside or the families are so large that the siblings make no room for other kids. Meeting adults were kind of the same. Saying hello when they are outside but not a strong community, just keep to themselves. It is also very transient due to military so that could be a reason some families don't bother. I would strongly urge anyone, non military, who wanted to plant roots to rent and move around before you make the long term plunge. You can get a nice house, neighborhood but, if you are social and like community you need to do extensive research. Wolf ranch , fairfax, Northgate estates, older Briargate, and Gleneagle areas seemed to be the best places for "active" children and friendly neighbors. Here are some quotes from parents why kids could not play on weekends: "We have bible classes on weekends", "We have violin", "We have to practice Multiplication","My kid had a birthday party yesterday and is not in a good mood", "my other kids have XYZ".

Old 08-24-2015, 01:27 PM

3,961 posts, read 4,389,750 times
I'm sorry to hear your experience were divergent from what you were anticipating. Looking at the D20 and D38 growth rates, I would think the sheer concentration of families moving into the northern COS area would make it a very child rich environment, although it is fairly large geographically. I always assumed it was more of a mid term transient area with tech workers and military cycling through every 4-6 years and have chosen to not live in those areas. Sounds like this may be the case and a number of families aren't engaging for community and simply biding their time until their next move.

I'd say my experience in the more central areas of town have actually very busy socially for my family, and that is only with a couple of families with kids in my immediate neighborhood. The contacts my kids have made in their school years have created plenty of play dates, sleep over invitations, and once we throw in pay for participation sports, our own vacation schedule, and their volunteer and club activities, my kids are learning time management along the way. Sure we have to turn down an invite now and again, but you certainly can't do everything all the time.

Maybe as you prepare for your next move, you could consider one of these ten locales: http://www.msn.com/en-us/travel/arti...lSuPj#image=10 Good luck in your next move and I hope you find an area that meets your expectations.

Last edited by TCHP; 08-24-2015 at 02:00 PM..

Old 08-24-2015, 04:22 PM

6,824 posts, read 10,518,651 times
I don't know if its true but it seems like the most elite/wealthy neighborhoods are the quietest and most sanitary - both in good and bad ways. If you want a community, kids playing in the streets with neighborhood kids, etc., there seems to be more of that in the middle/working class neighborhoods than the ones with $400,000 houses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs