Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2008, 05:20 PM

2 posts, read 5,557 times

Advertisements

Hello All,
I am new to the springs area.
I travel at least two times a year for at least three weeks each time.
I will be leaving in December for 3 weeks.

I really need a job but it seems that no one wants to hire me due the the fact I will be leaving in December for 3 weeks.
So, basically I would just like to know if anyone has any ideas of any jobs I should look into or if you know anyone that is hiring.
I have a high school diploma and I am finishing up my associates degree this year and I have retail experience.

I have already looked at all the online hiring sites, but it seems they are just not what I'm looking for. I would not mind a job until December or a job that is cool with me taking that time off.
I would appreciate any input. Thanks so much ahead of time.
- J
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2008, 02:03 PM

252 posts, read 926,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandibeaches View Post
Hello All,

I really need a job but it seems that no one wants to hire me due the the fact I will be leaving in December for 3 weeks.
So, basically I would just like to know if anyone has any ideas of any jobs I should look into or if you know anyone that is hiring.
I have a high school diploma and I am finishing up my associates degree this year and I have retail experience.

I have already looked at all the online hiring sites, but it seems they are just not what I'm looking for. I would not mind a job until December or a job that is cool with me taking that time off.
- J
If you want to travel twice a year for 3-weeks at a shot, you don't need a job, you need a sugar daddy/momma. I don't know many people with bachelors or masters that can live like that.................
Just WHAT are you looking for, job wise that is?

Old 09-06-2008, 11:12 PM

6 posts, read 25,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandibeaches View Post
Hello All,

- J

I was a Human Resource manager for 12 years and when looking for a job it's best not to place too many demands on your prospective employer. Most companies give time off (especially during the holidays) based upon seniority. They are also looking for someone who can work a flexible schedule. So, if you are going in to the interview and telling them that you will be taking 3 weeks off in December, this could be the reason you can't find employment. I live in Florida and our job market is horrible as there are too few jobs for far too many applicants for each of them. I don't know the situation in your area (I hope to move there soon), I just wanted to let you know how some HR managers arrive at their decision of whether or not to hire an individual. I hope this helps.

Old 09-07-2008, 03:13 PM

7 posts, read 41,005 times
Wow, it must be nice to travel for 6 weeks out of the year. I can tell you that most companies don't even offer that much time off per year, especially if you are new to the company. Shoot, you will be lucky to get 1-2 weeks the first year. When an employer is looking for someone to hire they are looking for someone that is going to be at work...period. I don't know your situation so the time off might be something that you can't get out of but if that is the case then you are going to struggle with finding a regular 8-5 job.

Old 09-08-2008, 07:58 PM

115 posts, read 458,531 times
Have you thought about working jobs through the temporary agencies. I had a friend who did that because her husband liked to travel alot and it was easy for him to take off but harder for her with a permanent job. With the temporary agencies she was able to take off weeks at a time.

Old 09-15-2008, 09:41 PM

2 posts, read 5,557 times
Default thanks

Thank you everyone for the replies.
I have family in Asia and it is important to me I see them during two important holidays. I know my demands are kinda crazy and maybe I will just have to figure something else out.
Thanks a lot for everything though.

Old 09-15-2008, 09:53 PM

17 posts, read 82,492 times
I am Asian too, and I travel to Asia once a year. My boss said that if I were to go on vacation for 3 weeks straight while someone covers me, it means that they could function without me. I agree with his comment. If you just joined a company, you will only get 2 to 3 weeks unless you have very high skill sets that not many people have. However, I commend you for your honesty and letting them know up front. Not trying to be a jerk, but I wouldn't hire someone with those request and lack of experience. Like someone else mentioned, try doing some contract work. Best of luck

Old 09-15-2008, 10:31 PM

2,221 posts, read 5,290,974 times
The idea of a job applicant presenting me with "demands" of any kind has me LMAO.

Six weeks off per year at a new job? In this economy??

You a funny guy.

Old 09-17-2008, 06:16 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,198,807 times
Most companies only offer one week to start.

Old 09-17-2008, 06:53 AM

1,664 posts, read 4,366,184 times
I got 3 weeks when I started with my employer, 5yrs ago. After 10yrs, I get that coveted 4th week of vacation, should I last that long.

Nevermind my European counterparts get their standard 6 weeks...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs