Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2008, 07:33 PM

252 posts, read 922,509 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by COflower View Post
Just so everyone is clear, I have already put my view out there:

//www.city-data.com/forum/5248285-post2.html

Oh and a few people agree with me. Just saying.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhnpennington View Post
COflower,

I should imagine an awful lot of people are familiar with your views on a wide range of subjects.

Cheers,
John.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhnpennington View Post
Hello all,
My wife and I are considering moving to Colorado, and have been considering a few diferent areas.
I have posted in the Denver forum and found a number of the people on there pretty hard edged (see my post regarding outdoor cats!)
I appreciate that people have wildly differing views on the subject, but, personal views aside, would it be safe for my two cats to go outside in any area around Manitou, or is it just too dangerous?
I would not let my cats roam too far BTW or go onto neighbours property.
Is fencing off an area possible, or would wildlife just get in and attack my cats anyway?
I hope the folks on here are a little friendlier than those in Denver.

Thank you for your time,
John.
John,

Please forgive some of our snobbish American ways. We are not all self-righteous and narrow-minded. I lived abroad for 9 years and know how loving an responsible Europeans are about their pets, something more Americans should follow. Colorado can have issues with wild animals, but so can many other places. Your pet going out doors is not an automatic death sentence, using common sense is the key based on the location you choose. And should you choose to relocate, I'm also sure you'll find that we do have warm and friendly people who will welcome you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2008, 08:08 PM

30 posts, read 185,331 times
I am so sad to say....we just moved here in June with our 3 wonderful kitties (brought them with us all the way from Germany) We live in N.Co. Springs on 2.5 acres....and now have only ONE of our kitties left. We are absolutely sick about this so yes....I would be careful. We were bringing them into the house every night and we still wound up with two gone in span of about 2 weeks. Our remaining kitty will be stuck indoors forever now which is unfortunate with all the fun to be had outside for her but we can't take the heartache of losing another kitty!! Good luck!!

Old 09-15-2008, 01:31 AM

7 posts, read 17,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by millsy View Post
I am so sad to say....we just moved here in June with our 3 wonderful kitties (brought them with us all the way from Germany) We live in N.Co. Springs on 2.5 acres....and now have only ONE of our kitties left. We are absolutely sick about this so yes....I would be careful. We were bringing them into the house every night and we still wound up with two gone in span of about 2 weeks. Our remaining kitty will be stuck indoors forever now which is unfortunate with all the fun to be had outside for her but we can't take the heartache of losing another kitty!! Good luck!!
Thank you for your input, and I am really sorry about your two cats.

Do you know what happened to the cats that have disappeared?

We recently moved house and one of our cats disappeared, and we found him again two months later. He was five miles away! I am convinced he was trying to find his old territory and got lost.
He is perfectly settled now though.

Thank you everyone for your continued help - I know that most Americans are lovely people!

Cheers,
John.

Old 09-15-2008, 05:18 AM

1,312 posts, read 7,886,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by millsy View Post
Oh man, that's truly very sad. So sorry to hear.

< hugs >

Old 09-15-2008, 09:51 AM

3,331 posts, read 5,933,970 times
I would just say that you need to be careful of your cats living outdoors in Manitou. When my fiance I and I were living there, our next door neighbor's cat was attacked by a bob cat.. We were outside and saw it happen. We were able to chase the bobcat away and save her cat, but she kept her indoors after that. Just something to think about.

Old 09-15-2008, 09:54 AM

2,957 posts, read 8,341,268 times
My dad lives near manitou, and has had a siamese cat for as long as I can remember, and she's never comes inside, unless she wants to eat.

Either she's very smart, or very lucky. She's gotta be going on 10 now.

Old 09-15-2008, 10:05 AM

34,103 posts, read 18,343,082 times
If you let your cats outdoors pretty much anywhere in CO, its only luck that allows them to live long lives. Predators, cars and people usually take its toll. We have a large German Shorthaired Pointer. I don't even let him outside unsupervised very long, even though we have a large fenced in yard. I came out one day to find him staring down a coyote through the fence. He was bigger, but they hunt in packs. If he was lured out, I don't think there would be good results.

I vote to keep kitty inside.

Old 09-15-2008, 10:40 AM

61 posts, read 173,190 times
This was an interesting thread to me as I was wondering about cats. Now I'm on the fence..... I have two cats, indoor/outdoor and both about 10. Because they are older, they sleep in beds at night (yep, terrible family habit!). We live in a very rural area of CA and all has been fine so far... I am sure having dogs has helped. But, it sounds like CO wins on the wildlife count..... I am not sure 10 year olds will know what a litter box is!!!! And one cat, feral and I domesticated... this oughta' be great....

Old 09-18-2008, 11:24 AM

83 posts, read 303,771 times
Well, I look at it this way - if you have an animal who's attached to you (and I wager 10 year olds are) and you give them away, you *know* they're gonna be unhappy.

If you bring 'em with and teach them to hang out by the house, I think that upps the odds to an acceptable level. Having large dogs in the yard should also help ward off bobcats and 'yotes.

Yeah? Or am I delusional....

Old 09-26-2008, 12:34 AM

188 posts, read 930,649 times
Default Cats outdoors

My daughter just lost her cat Tuesday night or early Wednesday morning, we
think. She found the remains, what there was left, anyway, today. She lives just east of the Red Rock Canyon Open Space which is not far from
Manitou. I had warned her about letting him out, but he was always trying
to get out the door and did. If you want to make sure your cats are OK, don't let them out at night. This is a very sad thing to have to deal with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs