Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2008, 08:55 PM

13 posts, read 43,163 times

Advertisements

By way of livejournal I found my way to this community a couple of weeks ago and you all have offered a plethora of information! My thanks to Mike especially, but also to everyone who chimes in.

Moving is a monster of a drag, so to have helpful eyes watching and offering tid-bits is a blessing, no doubt. We're military (AF, Peterson bound come November '08) and this will be our first move in 7 years (from Texas, which I love dearly so no hatin') and it is overwhelming to say the least. Of course, after spending a couple hours on here tonight reading through it all I think it kind of backfired and now my brain feels like goo:

. ....shoot, I have lots of tattoos! I'll be an outcast!
....my slug bug (VW BEETLE) will never make it through winter!
....I'm not conservative enough!
....We're way too poor!
....my kids really are gifted, but what schools will be good for them?
....I read there's not enough to do. But we're coming from the middle of the West Texas bible belt....surely there's more than here (where cow tippin' and tattooin' rules the roost!)?
...what areas do wechoose to live in? Gardyloo! There are so many pros and cons to every area and everything's so relative to the individual so how will we really know? We can't come visit first. We've got to base it off the net and WOM and hope it works out
. ..and
.. ..and..
....Ahhhh, but thank god, there's a Sonic! We were truly worried we'd be saying goodbye to our Route 44 Cherry Vanilla Diet Dr. Peppers. And our hearts were bruised.

Yes, about a trillion and one thoughts are swarming about, but still, so much is offered here and I just wanted to send a general thanks to all...of...(oh..you have to see this one comin'....) Y'ALL!

Peace,
Jenn ~34-ish, mother of 2 (3 if you count the mister), rockin' the stay at home mom gig since 1998.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2008, 08:59 AM

2,957 posts, read 8,352,221 times
Good god you really are from Texas.

Old 09-18-2008, 09:32 AM

3,331 posts, read 5,939,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by just_jenn View Post
Ahhhh, but thank god, there's a Sonic! We were truly worried we'd be saying goodbye to our Route 44 Cherry Vanilla Diet Dr. Peppers.

Yeah, but there's no Whataburgers here...what the wide wide world of sports is a goin' on here? Perhaps I should open a franchise, but I am afraid I would eat my own profits. When I go back to Texas to see family, I must have at least one Whataburger! From one expatriot Texan to another...welcome to the Springs!

Old 09-18-2008, 09:35 AM

2,140 posts, read 6,448,095 times
Hahaha, if you aren't conservative enough, well, come on over!!!

I see plenty of tattoos round town. Good luck on your move!

Old 09-18-2008, 09:38 AM

1,618 posts, read 6,601,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanek9freak View Post
Good god you really are from Texas.
Nah - not really, you know a real Texan when they got there big a$$ truck coming out this way with white plates on it.

-But really, to the OP, you should be fine. Fitting in will be easy since you are in the military lifestyle, don't worry too much about the civilians and what having to worry what they think. Anyone can own a VW Bug w/ crap load of tat's on their arm's/legs ect..ect.

Just be yourself and enjoy what Colorado has to offer.

Old 09-18-2008, 09:40 AM

1,618 posts, read 6,601,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fullback32 View Post
Yeah, but there's no Whataburgers here...what the wide wide world of sports is a goin' on here? Perhaps I should open a franchise, but I am afraid I would eat my own profits. When I go back to Texas to see family, I must have at least one Whataburger! From one expatriot Texan to another...welcome to the Springs!

In Springs though, you do have conways redtop .. a good substitution of whataburger

Home - Conway's Red Top

Old 09-18-2008, 09:57 AM

3,331 posts, read 5,939,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike78613 View Post
In Springs though, you do have conways redtop .. a good substitution of whataburger

Home - Conway's Red Top
That's true; those are pretty good burgers and their chocolate malts are top rate!

Old 09-18-2008, 10:10 AM

26,143 posts, read 48,800,534 times
Jenn, don't worry, you'll be just fine here.

Good schools are in D20, D38, D12, with D11 being large and having decent to very good schools.

Tons of USAF types up here in the D20 area, generally north of Woodmen. Areas to consider are Briargate, Cordera, Wolf Ranch.

D38 is further north, but the commutable may be a factor. That area is Monument, Palmer Lake, Woodmoor, Kings Park.

Check the index of threads for threads on Briargate, Zip 80920, Schools, etc, lots of info here.

Old 09-18-2008, 12:07 PM

1,312 posts, read 7,895,196 times
I know plenty of people with tattoos.

Eh, VWs tool around fine around here.

I'm poor, there are a lot of dollar stores around here.

The conservative nature of this place is over rated but definitely started as military conservative so you'll do just fine if you think of the hubby's or other C.O.s you've been around.

I don't have kids but whoever helps you in your transfer should help you, read the boards about the better schools. A charter school might be a good deal for you.

There's plenty to do if you look for it. Colorado Springs Independent : Colorado Springs is a great resource - which can be found in or around various stores (for free).

Your budget will help people determine where you may want to live. Also, what kind of commute...

This is such a transient town because of military and DOD contractors, if you're from the moon we don't care.

Old 09-18-2008, 12:15 PM

345 posts, read 1,561,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fullback32 View Post
Good grief! You sound just like my husband
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs