Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2008, 09:57 AM

11 posts, read 40,563 times

Advertisements

Hi All - I am new to the board but have been reading everyone's posts daily. We are about to put a contract on a house in Cordera. We will be out there in 2 weeks ! Can't wait.

We are trying to find a neighborhood with people our age (30's) and are very involved and energetic. Do we have it right with going to Cordera ? Everything looks so nice and I work at hospital so Memorial Health would be so close to our new home.

I can't believe the home prices out there compared to Baltimore. Just to give you a little taste...We live in a 742 sq.ft house and my city taxes are 4k a year and the house across the street just sold for 400k. We can't wait to leave.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2008, 10:05 AM

26,112 posts, read 48,696,623 times
Hey Hon, my hometown is Charm City... Catonsville HS, class of '66.

Been here 3 years. LOVE IT. You will TOO. Cordera is FINE. We primarily came here for housing prices that are HALF of the DC metro area, especially Fairfax County where we were, near Dulles Airport.

Hopefully you've been to the index and seen threads like "why choose colorado springs" and the "briargate" threads/photo tour.

Cordera is just 1-2 miles up the street from "main" Briargate, just across Powers Blvd. Whole area is a great place to live.

Keep an open mind. Consider seeing some existing houses in zip 80920 before buying a new one. There are 73 single family homes there now in the $175-250k range, mostly 10-20 year old homes.

By all means, work with a realtor. I'm not one, but can recommend one to you if you'd like, just send me a DM.

Old 10-09-2008, 10:33 AM

Thanks ! We have checked out the existing houses for sale...We can't wait to get away from the traffic and humidity !

Old 10-09-2008, 01:35 PM

252 posts, read 922,509 times
My freind's daughter bought a house up there is it's beautiful........ the house and the view

Old 10-10-2008, 11:13 AM

14 posts, read 51,590 times
Default Cordera is very nice

A friend rented in the Springs for 2 years before buying and he decided on Cordera in June. Some of his reasons:

1. LaPlata community. LaPlata has the best reputation of all the housing area developers in the Springs. When the market started to turn south, people selling homes in LaPlata communities like Pine Creek had the shortest on the market times. LaPlata communities are "upscale" very well maintained and their community associations don't allow the cars on blocks and trailers parked on streets you will see elsewhere. Cordera was the Springs magazine choice for top community for 2008. The "Ye Old Castlewood" park (Alice in Wonderland theme) was chosen as Colorado Spring's top park for 2008.

2. Cordera has the best rated builders in town: Saddletree/Symphony Homes, Vantage, and Campbell. Saddletree was the Springs magazine choice for top builder for 2008.

3. Taxes are lower. Mill levies vary throughout the city. The Cordera community tax is lower than other Briargate area neighborhoods. Cordera does not have the higher Cottonwood Creek mill levy that its neighbor, Wolf Ranch, has next door to the south.

4. Community clubhouse, pool, exercise room, meeting rooms, staffed sports drink/snack bar, staffed daycare area, multiple parks, and significant trail system are all part of the community. The HOA fees of $100 include all clubhouse/pool/etc use, garbage pick-up, and snow removal. The Cordera clubhouse, pool, bar, and daycare are staffed by YMCA personnel (YMCA is located about a mile away). The HOA fee is not bad considering a YMCA membership is $70+ per month.

5. Saddletree homes allowed customizing of the home design with no or little additional cost depending on changes. eg. moving the fireplace and windows to different locations on the plan were no cost changes.

6. Community is in school District 20 (D-20), the top rated school district in the area. Several IB schools are available. The new elementry school built within the Cordera community teaches Mandarin Chinese starting in 1st grade.

7. All streets with homes are cul-de-sacs reducing speeding in the neighborhood - good for families with small children.

8. Good views of Pike's Peak and Black Forest from most homes - The community is located on a slightly hilly rise.

9. Mostly young community.

10. North end of town with convenient access to Powers Bvld., Briargate Bvld., Woodman road, and I-25.

Old 11-10-2008, 11:04 AM

19 posts, read 61,027 times
I would have to agree! We are moving to Cordera from the Seattle area, watching our Keller Home being constructed via email pics. Sounds like great schools, great community, great access. Looking to change the environment, detoxing from Microsoft.....

Old 11-11-2008, 07:46 AM

Update: We were out there the last weekend in October and decided to go with a Keller Home in Cumbre Vista. After looking at our lot again in Cordera..there was too much construction going up in front of it and they couldn't tell us what they were building. We didn't want our view of the mountains to be blocked.

But we are VERY happy with our choice. We back up to a park and have a fantastic view of Pikes Peak. Plus the model that we wanted was 30k cheaper in Cumbre Vista then Cordera.

They start building next month. We are soo excited.

Old 11-11-2008, 10:29 AM

26,112 posts, read 48,696,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcokes View Post
Update: We were out there the last weekend in October and decided to go with a Keller Home in Cumbre Vista. After looking at our lot again in Cordera..there was too much construction going up in front of it and they couldn't tell us what they were building. We didn't want our view of the mountains to be blocked.

But we are VERY happy with our choice. We back up to a park and have a fantastic view of Pikes Peak. Plus the model that we wanted was 30k cheaper in Cumbre Vista then Cordera.

They start building next month. We are soo excited.
Cool news! Hope all goes well. IMO, you cannot go wrong with Keller. Early in the new year you'll probably be in Keller's design center to pickout most of the interior options. We set aside a whole week to do that, visiting the design center for 3 days, plus the lighting store, electrician, smart-home techs, etc. When design time comes around, come back to the forum for recommendations and ideas.

Old 11-11-2008, 12:38 PM

1,938 posts, read 7,095,658 times
Cordera is a beautiful neighborhood...wish we could afford it! I think you will like your choice of Cumbre Vista but no matter what, you will love CO! Welcome!

Old 11-13-2008, 10:51 AM

We have our Design Center Appts scheduled for the first weekend in January. We have 2 days scheduled for our appts. Now I'm thinking we need to extend it.

I'm open for suggestions for the Design Center !! I have been buying almost every decorating magazine I can find.

I'm hoping to hear back about a job out there sometime this week.

I'm going to have to come out here before my husband and start working. Any recommendations on extended stay hotels ? I really don't want to get an apt. if I don't have to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs