Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2008, 03:03 PM

1,663 posts, read 4,362,313 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by treedonkey View Post
Gone are the days that exercised our bodies and our minds instead of just our right to bear arms. So sad.
What's your point here? I would assume that many of us who are proponents of firearms and our constitutional right to bear arms and protect home and property have many interests that go beyond shooting/hunting etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2008, 03:35 PM

17,986 posts, read 27,444,769 times
Absolutely!

But blowing stuff up is pretty cool too!

Old 12-11-2008, 08:52 AM

2,957 posts, read 8,373,749 times
Watch it Treedonkey, we're not gonna turn this into a gun control thread.

Home invasion+assailant= Dead.

Old 12-11-2008, 08:58 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,384,526 times
little or no real punishment for the act. people commit crime bek it works.
personal safety is not a high priority for government. acts of self defense and even
resistance to assaults are highly protested by the public.
public opinion stinks. if it happens down the block its an unfortunatel incident
if it happens to me we have a serious crisis and a need for immediate community action.

Old 12-11-2008, 10:23 AM

2,437 posts, read 8,180,958 times
I know this thread was ultimately about burglary and self-defense, but when people start bragging about their propensity for firearms, I for one am not impressed. I'm not trying to stomp on anyone's constitutional rights either, but I was thinking of a discussion I recently had with and older friend of mine:
In my great-grandfather's day, if two men had a fight they would use their fists. And if one knocked the other down, he would help the guy up so they could continue fighting or make peace.
In my grandfathers day, they would still fist-fight, but if one guy got knocked down the other would kick him until he couldn't get up.
In my father's day, they might fight for a while, until one guy pulled a knife.
In my day, it was a gun.
In our kids' day, they often don't even bother to fight or even to disagree, they just start shooting.

Do you see the regression there? I'm not saying that the fist-fights of my great-grandfather's day were more noble than the fights we'd see today, but at least they had a sense of civility and relied on their own strengths for such things rather than just the size of their gun or speed of its automatic trigger.

Old 12-11-2008, 11:54 AM

I see the point, but back in those days it was pretty rare that some idiot had the audacity to invade one's domain.

Home invasion is quite a different animal from a couple of people having a disagreement with each other and 'stepping outside' to settle things with a little round of good ol' fisticuffs....

If somebody busts into my house and is bent on taking what is mine with threat of deadly force, then I don't think I'm going to say "tell you what buddy, let's step outside and settle this like real men". No, I am going to (hopefully) be prepared to meet said person with the talking end of a gun and ask them to leave and never come back.

Old 12-11-2008, 01:12 PM

16,431 posts, read 22,189,163 times
Stay alive first. Settle legalities second. as the Bible puts it:"better a live dog than a dead lion.".

Old 12-11-2008, 02:17 PM

2,957 posts, read 8,373,749 times
Yeah I was gonna say that. Back in your grandfathers day, home invasions were unheard of.

Old 12-11-2008, 02:23 PM

17,986 posts, read 27,444,769 times
Not just home invasion, but this scum bag put a gun in a young girl's face!

The best defense is a strong offense. That's what I say.

I'm not wanting to bring up another sore topic, but this has been on the news a lot this week; the church invasion. I thank God that that wonderful female guard was armed and shot dead that stupid punk who hated Christians.

I'll quote my buddy Christian Slatter from the movie True Romance; "It's better to have a gun and not need one than to need a gun and not have one."

I have yet to be a victim of such a crime. I have yet to kill anybody and hope I never need to. But if my enemy has a gun, I sure hope I have Calahan handy! Yes, Treedonkey. It's come to this. But, unless I know I'm in a real threat, I either stay away from danger or be a nice guy out there. I have yet to carry a gun around for personal protection. But if you come bustin' in my house, you're gonna get dead and I'll ask questions later.

Old 12-11-2008, 02:32 PM

all this really just reflects on the moral degradation of our society, fed by the lure of easy money and constant glorification of seedy, edgy behavior in the media and reassurances that even deadbeat thugs have 'rights'
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs