Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-05-2007, 04:39 PM

3,041 posts, read 11,887,311 times

Advertisements

Hi, I'm a Native trying to move back!!
But don't know too much about the CSprings housing market.

#1 Why do all the builders seem to build the garage as the main feature of the house? It seems in my search most of the houses I see have the huge ugly garage right in front! Any areas where this is not the norm?

#2 Is finding a house in District 20 with a 1/2 or larger lot out of the question? (price range is up to $325, but could go as high as $400)

I love the look and feel of the east side...for a visit. The wind seriously kills me every time I'm there! (Brother in law lives in NE area with 5 acres)

My dream is to find a nice home well constructed (brick or stucco...no siding)
In a great school area on a large lot! I am sick and tired of looking into my neighbors house from my deck!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2007, 02:39 AM

1,312 posts, read 7,916,263 times
The main reason builders build homes with garages being a major part of the construction is simply the size of lots, the pricing of homes and such. It would be very difficult in most average lots to fit a garage that is not a predominent feature and still be able to build homes that many people can actually afford.

For most smaller lots and such, they squeeze as much as they can on small lots. Higher end homes are often squeezed on smaller lots as well.

Old 03-06-2007, 07:52 AM

7,184 posts, read 9,317,614 times
Many newer house lots are very narrow. We looked at Cordera, a new house area in district 20. Seems like lots are about 50 feet wide; means a 40 foot wide house. That means half of the front is a garage. And their covenants dictate everything that you cannot do.

Half-acre lots in D20 are rare. But some older regions have 2.5 acre lots with homes built in the '60s. I'd guess prices are about $500K

Old 03-06-2007, 08:29 AM

I guess I phrased my question wrong... I know wHY they build them that way with narrow lots and flat land etc... but it seem that in CS is the same as VA with even the houses on larger lots or lots with hill (could have rear entry) all put the garage smack dab front and center. we live in cookie cutter HOA neighbor hood here where I seriously can spit on my neighbors house from mine!! I see no less than 4 back decks from mine. I guess I was hoping that having MORE land to build on that CO would be different from the greater DC area.

I have 3 girls so school is very important since for the first time in 12 years we will be able to put down stakes and not move...we're home! So can I find any neighborhoods under $500k that have good schools and have atleast 1/2 lots??

Old 03-06-2007, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5stones View Post
I guess I phrased my question wrong... I know wHY they build them that way with narrow lots and flat land etc... but it seem that in CS is the same as VA with even the houses on larger lots or lots with hill (could have rear entry) all put the garage smack dab front and center. we live in cookie cutter HOA neighbor hood here where I seriously can spit on my neighbors house from mine!! I see no less than 4 back decks from mine. I guess I was hoping that having MORE land to build on that CO would be different from the greater DC area.

I have 3 girls so school is very important since for the first time in 12 years we will be able to put down stakes and not move...we're home! So can I find any neighborhoods under $500k that have good schools and have atleast 1/2 lots??
One possibility is to buy a house that backs up to a park. For example, my house is in D20, sits on a half acre lot and backs up to a park. But I'm not selling! There are many parks in D20, so maybe you could find a house like mine.

If I were you, I'd rent for awhile and look around.

Old 03-06-2007, 09:13 AM

renting always sounds like agood plan but it also means just throwing money down the drain! The tax break for us to much to ignore. We are probablably going to lose money on our house here we bought 1-1/2 years ago. But if we had rented we still would have lost way more money.

If hubby get the job we get a house finding trip for 2 weeks. plus having family in the area as well as throughout CO..we have time to look etc...

yes, backing to a park would be ideal...you sure you don't want to sell?? lol

So if I can't find what I want (I'm picky...I really don't want to redo another house!!) in D20 what other school districts would you recommend? 12 and 49?

Also....what's the blackforest area like? is it out in the wind tunnel area? I see place with more trees & larger lots etc... what school district is it?

Thanks for your help and timely responses!!

I may just have to buy a lot and build...but I hate to do that as I feel there is enough building going on EVERYWHERE in the US!!!

Old 03-06-2007, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5stones View Post
renting always sounds like agood plan but it also means just throwing money down the drain! The tax break for us to much to ignore. We are probablably going to lose money on our house here we bought 1-1/2 years ago. But if we had rented we still would have lost way more money.

If hubby get the job we get a house finding trip for 2 weeks. plus having family in the area as well as throughout CO..we have time to look etc...

yes, backing to a park would be ideal...you sure you don't want to sell?? lol

So if I can't find what I want (I'm picky...I really don't want to redo another house!!) in D20 what other school districts would you recommend? 12 and 49?

Also....what's the blackforest area like? is it out in the wind tunnel area? I see place with more trees & larger lots etc... what school district is it?

Thanks for your help and timely responses!!

I may just have to buy a lot and build...but I hate to do that as I feel there is enough building going on EVERYWHERE in the US!!!
Houses here are inflating at a slow rate, I'd guess about 3% per year max. I'm also picky, but a new house will cost you about 50% more per square foot than an older house. I personally don't like the Black Forest because I feel claustrophobic sitting in the middle of a lot of trees. I prefer big views. But I've noticed that many East Coast immigrants like it because it reminds them of home.

Black Forest is D20, D38, and D49 depending on location. Its not more windy, it's just colder and wetter; that's why there are trees. Also, many areas in BF have older, unkempt houses. Newer ones are beyond what you want to pay.

Old 03-06-2007, 10:39 AM

26,212 posts, read 49,038,592 times
Default 5 stones...

....welcome to city-data....from another escapee from NOVA...

D20 schools are generally available to anyone in zip codes:
80921 Gleneagles (south of Baptist Road)
80920 Briargate
80908 South of Baptist Road
80819 West of US Air Force Academy (USAFA)
80840 USAFA
80841 USAFA Cadet Boxes
80919 South of USAFA, Woodmen-Rockrimmon area, some GotG area
Primary zips to search on are 80920, 80908 and 80919. I prefer realtor.com for searching, great easy tools.

My second choice in schools would be D38, or zip codes:
80132 Palmer Lake, Monument, Woodmoor, most areas north of Baptist Rd
80908 If north of Baptist Road (considerable area)
80920 If north of Baptist Road (very small area)

Third choice is D12, on south side of town, great schools too, but a bit pricey
80906 Broadmoor area

It's entirely possible to find a great place during a 2-week house hunting trip, but I'd recommend you use a realtor. I'm not one, but do believe they will help you greatly.

s/mike

Old 03-06-2007, 11:14 AM

2,756 posts, read 12,975,932 times
Mike,

I think that the D-20 boundary is mostly at or near Dublin, meaning that there are a number of neighborhoods in 80918 also in D-20.

Old 03-06-2007, 01:18 PM

137 posts, read 774,476 times
Default Black Forest

Welive in Black Forest on 5 acres and love it. We hardly get any wind where we are because of the trees. We are on the west side of the forest near Monument.
For under $500K you should be able to find something with a garage in back and on a treed 1/2 acre lot. If you can't find something just like what you want you might consider building a custom home. You can do somthing for under $500 depending how big and what features.
John Laing homes builds some with garages in the back. They are usually on smaller lots though.
Welcome back home!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs