Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-03-2009, 09:09 PM

1 posts, read 5,317 times

Advertisements

Most of the real estate search engines do not include an option for finding home that have in-law quarters/additional apartment etc.

I really need to be able to search for homes with this criteria. Do you have any ideas for Real Estate search engines?

Target area: Colorado Springs, CO (D-20 schools)

Thank you in advance for your ideas!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2009, 08:19 AM

140 posts, read 441,036 times
Newer homes are going to be difficult to find with in-law quarters above garages or carriage homes, especially in D-20 since this is predominantly new homes in D-20. There are a lot of homes around downtown (pre World War II) that have this option but they are either going to need a lot of work, or will cost a lot of money. Otherwise you can find homes with "granny flats" or "in-law quarters" in Spring Creek, which is a new neighborhood (still being developed) south of downtown. Google Maps Falkirk Street for exact location.

I wish there were more options out there with in-law quarters, however Colorado Springs hasn't advanced that far yet with their market. Denver has lots of such opportunities.

Old 01-04-2009, 08:43 AM

1,836 posts, read 3,166,868 times
I don't know specifically of any search engines where you could search for in-law quarters. Perhaps contact a real estate agent in the D20 area - they may be able to find places for you. You might have luck in the Black Forest area (part of it is D20) - more custom homes there that in the regular developments.

Old 01-04-2009, 12:32 PM

1,938 posts, read 7,125,173 times
Yea, I would recommend getting in touch with a realtor and asking him/her. They will use the ppar.com website where they can see more details. Good luck!

Old 01-05-2009, 02:32 PM

648 posts, read 2,940,561 times
Everybody is right, they are not real common here. But you can take a rancher and make it so the upstairs has a kitchen and laundry and the downstairs has it too. My in-laws did that and it worked out great! Brooke

Old 01-05-2009, 08:55 PM

3,644 posts, read 10,939,818 times
I recently did a home search on the MLS. While looking, I did see a home with a mother-in-law suite. It was either area code 80923 or 80920 (the only two area codes I searched in). I'm sure a realtor would be able to point you to it right away.

Old 01-06-2009, 12:59 PM

454 posts, read 1,224,959 times
I have found some in the past over on the Westside of town. Usually it is older homes that have this option avaliable.

Old 01-06-2009, 01:36 PM

26,212 posts, read 49,038,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bashep View Post
Everybody is right, they are not real common here. But you can take a rancher and make it so the upstairs has a kitchen and laundry and the downstairs has it too. My in-laws did that and it worked out great! Brooke
We have such a rancher, they do exist. Our downstairs has 2br/1ba, huge family room area, and a full bar with sink, bar fridge, and dishwasher. All it needs is a cook top and a real fridge. Some ranchers may also have a separate entrance. Mostly though, in-law suites will be in older homes that have been altered. Maybe a duplex might work where the inlaws have the other half?

Old 01-07-2009, 02:26 AM

565 posts, read 1,847,760 times
There are several areas in D20 that have new townhomes and duplexes/triplexes. With new construction, you are more likely to find two adjacent attached properties that are available.

A lot of new homes have basements with bar areas in addition to bedroom/bath. Add an electric cooktop and you have a full living area. (bar areas usually have a sink and sometimes a dishwasher as well)

You might also want to check out Parkwood at Wolf Ranch. They are higher end narrow lot homes with rear entry garages. Two homes are not actually attached but nearly so! Very nice old European architecture also.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs