Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2009, 01:56 PM

19 posts, read 55,162 times

Advertisements

Ahhh, finally I made it to Colorado Springs, actually that was Sunday Night the 11th of January. I went through hell coming here from Pennsylvania. I got stranded in Kansas Turnpike (West I-70) because of my fuel pump. It was crazy, I stood in a little town that nobody seems to know. However, after that incident happened for like 3 days, I got back on the road and made it here. So far things are alright. Remember when I was aking about the air quality? Well its good for me. The only thing I notice for the first 4 to 5 days, my nose hurted. Like I had to sneeze but it felt like it was stuck. Annoying feeling I will say. So its been about roughly four weeks on sunday I have been living here. I like what i seen. But still so much more to see. Bad part now, I sold my car so now Im car-less. Not for long, I have another car coming for me. I entered Ft. Carson, is nice, it was my second time entering a military base. My family is not here yet unfornately. Still looking for work. Now its harder because I have no car and where I live for the moment Im around nothing. Just let me say this, it takes 3 buses to get into Colorado Springs. I still havent explore the night life here nor the outside adventures. I would love to go snow tubing soon. Oh, another thing, my calves has been hurting me ever since I came here. Could it be again because Im in High Altitude?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2009, 02:10 PM

3,135 posts, read 11,890,380 times
What part of town are you staying at? I never had nose/calves issues and I'm 8500'. Keep drinking water. They say it can take a few months for some people to get adjusted to the altitude, gotta build up those red blood cells!

Old 01-30-2009, 02:15 PM

1,225 posts, read 4,921,563 times
Quote:
Oh, another thing, my calves has been hurting me ever since I came here. Could it be again because Im in High Altitude?
Make sure you drink lots of water. It will help with the lack of oxygen, dehydration, and getting rid of latic acid formation.
btw> welcome to CO.

Old 01-30-2009, 02:15 PM

Im staying in Fountain right now.

Old 01-30-2009, 03:22 PM

26,212 posts, read 49,031,855 times
Welcome to Colorado! Glad to see you back here telling us all about it.

That "stuck" feeling in your nose is due to dryness. I refer to that sensation as the feeling of having a golf ball stuck up in there. All you need is humidity in the home and be sure to get bottle of nasal saline spray at any drug store or supermarket. That will keep your nose in good shape as you acclimate and it will loosen any junk that might be clogging you up.

Never heard of altitude causing sore calves. Probably due to standing on concrete waiting for the bus.

Old 01-30-2009, 03:33 PM

31 posts, read 67,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kellynda Flores View Post
Ahhh, finally I made it to Colorado Springs, actually that was Sunday Night the 11th of January. I went through hell coming here from Pennsylvania. I got stranded in Kansas Turnpike (West I-70) because of my fuel pump. It was crazy, I stood in a little town that nobody seems to know. However, after that incident happened for like 3 days, I got back on the road and made it here. So far things are alright. Remember when I was aking about the air quality? Well its good for me. The only thing I notice for the first 4 to 5 days, my nose hurted. Like I had to sneeze but it felt like it was stuck. Annoying feeling I will say. So its been about roughly four weeks on sunday I have been living here. I like what i seen. But still so much more to see. Bad part now, I sold my car so now Im car-less. Not for long, I have another car coming for me. I entered Ft. Carson, is nice, it was my second time entering a military base. My family is not here yet unfornately. Still looking for work. Now its harder because I have no car and where I live for the moment Im around nothing. Just let me say this, it takes 3 buses to get into Colorado Springs. I still havent explore the night life here nor the outside adventures. I would love to go snow tubing soon. Oh, another thing, my calves has been hurting me ever since I came here. Could it be again because Im in High Altitude?

Better get your legs checked out for DVT's ..... Blood clot formation can form during long trips. I would take this seriously, as this can be life threatening. God Bless

Old 01-30-2009, 07:35 PM

128 posts, read 437,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vfrpilot View Post
Make sure you drink lots of water. It will help with the lack of oxygen, dehydration, and getting rid of latic acid formation.
btw> welcome to CO.
Bananas are also good source of potassium which is also good for ridding lactic acid from your muscles. I'm fairly susceptible to foot cramps at night but since I began eating a banana every morning it's not nearly as bad, quite controllable actually.

Old 01-31-2009, 01:48 AM

188 posts, read 933,686 times
When I first came here, I had sore calves, too. After being here awhile you get used to walking up and down slopes a lot, but when you come from a place where the landscape is flat like I did, you don't have the muscles built up in your calves for walking on slopes and you are a little sore at first. If your calves are swollen and warm and red, get checked for DVT, but otherwise you are probably adapting to going up and down hill a lot.

Old 01-31-2009, 07:21 AM

565 posts, read 1,847,651 times
You arrived at the worst time for nose dryness - winter! Sounds like you are doing fairly well if you havn't had any nosebleeds.

Your calves may be due to the sudden 'no car' issue! Have you said hi to your unit/husband's unit yet? There are likely people willing to help out getting around until you get your other car. In Germany it is common that families with the military loan each other cars temporarily while a car is being shipped from the States.

Old 02-04-2009, 05:25 PM

Im getting the car from my dad, which he lives in Boston. Oh gosh, I dont know yet how we going to bring his car over. I know for sure I wont be making another drive. And my dad work as a driver in boston, so I know he wont make the drive either. So what we was thinking is to get the car here ship, like put it in a truck trailer and the truck drives it down here. Honestly it would be cheaper if I fly down to boston and drive back. Shipping the car is at least $1,000. So its tough. My boyfriend is already here, thank god. I have a car to use now but its hard because I dislike the way he drives. Sometime I be thinking, that he thinks he still driving an army vehicle and the only person on the road (he was in the army and went overseas to the war).My nose pain went away so thats good. And as for my calves, the pain went away too. Thank you for your suggestions of how to treat those pains. The weather has been beautiful here. I went to Garden o the Gods yeaterday, oh its beautiful, it reminds me of New Hamsphire. Next, Im trying to go to Seven Falls, Canon City Bridge over the Big Mountains, Cheyenne Zoo, The Caves. And still I want to go snow tubing. Oh next week I will be making a big trip, first go to New Mexico for a dance competition and the next day drive up to Denver for another dance competition, so Im excited Im getting to see all these wonderful places in the mid-west coast.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs