Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2009, 11:30 AM

2,800 posts, read 9,984,063 times

Advertisements

We're thinking of making a trip to CS during spring break. We're planning on taking our two youngest children (8 and 14) with us to see what CS has to offer.
I was wondering what sights or fun spots we should take them to see while there? Are there any amusement parks open at that time? Any indoor swimming pools? Skiing? Lakes to see?

Just hoping to get some feedback on where to take the kids to "impress" them with the area. lol

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2009, 11:39 AM

26,111 posts, read 48,696,623 times
The first 7 posts in this thread have good ideas:
- //www.city-data.com/forum/color...ings-kids.html

Indoor pools can be found at most YMCA's.
Nearest skiing is Monarch Mountain.
Denver has a TON of fine museums and the 1.5 mile long 16th Street Pedestrian Mall, which young people will love.

Old 01-31-2009, 11:54 AM

50 posts, read 164,919 times
My company does an internet travel guide map but I'm sorry the one for Colorado isn't ready yet. But I did check with some our research and came up with a few things that are open year round that would interest small children and adults.
Cave of the Winds - it is of course a cave tour and you can pick from three tours and time elements. It is open daily from 10:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Cave's natural temp is 54 degrees so dress warmly.
Cheyenne Mountain Zoo - 4250 Cheyenne Mountain Zoo Rd. 719-633-9925 This zoo has a shuttle you can ride on instead of climbing steep stairs. They even have a 1920's carousel for the kids ($2 a ride). Open 9-5 daily

Arcade Amusements, Inc. - 930 Manitou Ave. 719-686-9815 (in Manitou Springs) has some really unique amusement games and kiddie rides too. State of the art video games. 11-7 p.m.

The is a Fine Arts Center - Pro Rodeo Hall of Fame & American Cowboy Museum. A good place to check too would be with the Colorado Springs Visitors Bureau 719-635-7506 and the Maniou Springs Chamber of Commerce 719-685-5089.

Give TravelInfoMap another year and we will have Colorado finished. Hope I have been of some help here. Have a good time.
Betty

Old 01-31-2009, 11:54 AM
Bub

235 posts, read 379,154 times
Our "kid" visitors to the area LOVE Cripple Creek's Mollie Kathleen Mine, Narrow Gauge Railroad, and the BIG BIG Trucks out by Victor's Mine....but generally NOT the COG Rail road, too much time penned up I think. Also, The Junior Ranger progams at Florissant Fossil Beds www.nps.gov/flfo and the kids crafts place in Old Colorado City, it is on the North? end under Telly's Greek restaurant, can't recall the name, I dont know if Mike got Manitou Ciff Dwellings either-lots of crawling around there if the weather is good.

Also, Fort Carson has some great stuff at the main gate that most boys LOVE to climb on (Lots of TANKS).

And if you venture to Royal Gorge Bridge, PLAN to stay at MT Princeton Hot Springs...You will thank me...even if the water slide isnt open yet for the season.

Old 01-31-2009, 12:13 PM

Anyone that visits COLO SPGS and is here for a Sunday, owes themselves a trip to the 5-star, world-renowned Broadmoor Resort and Conference Center for their Sunday Brunch. LINK: 5 Star Hotels & Luxury Resorts in Colorado | The Broadmoor | Golf Luxury Spa Vacations

Under DINING you get info on the Brunch. An acre of food. Live music. Chocolate fountain. Words can't describe. Walk the grounds, around the lake. Not snobby or stuffy, casual clothes okay (no sweat suits). All parking by valet. Just drive up to the door and enjoy.

One of the MUST DO things in this town. Make reservations and go.

Old 01-31-2009, 12:55 PM

454 posts, read 1,218,461 times
Another pretty cool place we take our daughter to if we are off during the week is the
The Navigators

3820 N 30TH St Ste A
Colorado Springs, CO 80904 .

We go there on a picnic for some family time. And we don't have anything to do with religiously just it is like a hidden wilderness to us. Shhhhh don't tell anyone though. lol

Old 01-31-2009, 12:56 PM

140 posts, read 438,846 times
The Zoo here is AMAZING! Definately put that on your list to take the kids. IMO, it is supererior to every zoo I have ever been to including the Henry Doorly Zoo in Omaha and the National Zoo in Washington DC. Highly recommended!

For natural setting (free), also check out Helen Hunt Falls. It's a favorite of friends of mine when they come in town. Very beautiful falls and hiking trail and really close to the City without any cost.

Also favorites of mine are Manitou Springs, Garden of the Gods & Mr. Biggs (fav of the kids).

Old 01-31-2009, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toxicavenger View Post
Another pretty cool place we take our daughter to if we are off during the week is the
The Navigators

3820 N 30TH St Ste A
Colorado Springs, CO 80904 .

We go there on a picnic for some family time. And we don't have anything to do with religiously just it is like a hidden wilderness to us. Shhhhh don't tell anyone though. lol
Yes! A very interesting place. There is gated security, but we got in by showing our license and signing in. IMO, this place is the small-scale version of the Biltmore Estate in Ashville, NC, same premise, a huge stand-alone estate with that raises it's own food. Well worth an hour or so to visit, and its right up the street from Garden of the Gods.

Old 01-31-2009, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CS-Urbanist View Post
The Zoo here is AMAZING! Definately put that on your list to take the kids. IMO, it is supererior to every zoo I have ever been to including the Henry Doorly Zoo in Omaha and the National Zoo in Washington DC. Highly recommended!

For natural setting (free), also check out Helen Hunt Falls. It's a favorite of friends of mine when they come in town. Very beautiful falls and hiking trail and really close to the City without any cost.

Also favorites of mine are Manitou Springs, Garden of the Gods & Mr. Biggs (fav of the kids).
The zoo is great, their giraffe program is quite famous. There's a new ski-lift ride to the top of the zoo with a great view of the city below. There is also a road that goes way up the side of the mountain to the Will Rogers Shrine and I think that's free as part of zoo admission.

Feed the giraffes: //www.city-data.com/picfilesc/picc19255.php

Old 01-31-2009, 01:23 PM

454 posts, read 1,218,461 times
The only issue with the Navigators is due to there limited staff (since it is volunteers) they aren't open on the weekends. And they said when they were it got over crowded and alot of people didn't treat the property the way they should have. We do visit Helen Hunt alot along Bear Creek Park. But the ZOO is the BEST place to take your kids too. They will love it. It does have some weird weather being on the mountain so brings coats even if it is sunny.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs