Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2009, 03:34 PM

38 posts, read 186,320 times

Advertisements

Haha, too funny! Thanks for the heads up Mike
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2009, 04:18 PM

26,212 posts, read 49,044,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barshney View Post
Haha, too funny! Thanks for the heads up Mike
So, just WHAT do rabbits really taste like?

Old 02-01-2009, 05:28 PM

I can't honestly say, as I've never had them myself. My husband is the one that is wild about them. I'm just trying to find fresh rabbit as a surprise for him He had it growing up in Germany, and he gets this dreamy look in his eyes whenever he talks about it. He says it's similar to chicken, but with a much richer flavor, with hints of pork and duck. Hard to explain I suppose, it just tastes like rabbit.

Old 02-01-2009, 11:06 PM

12,262 posts, read 24,461,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
So, just WHAT do rabbits really taste like?
Chicken

Old 02-01-2009, 11:50 PM

5,089 posts, read 15,403,299 times
The best quickest way to find game meat is to look at this directory from the Colorado Department of Agriculture. Many of these are wholesale supplier but many will sell you direct. However, even if they do not, they certainly can direct you to a local market where the products they sell, are available retail.

Food and Ag Directory - Colorado Department of Agriculture (http://www.ag.state.co.us/FoodAgDirectory/ - broken link)

Search on the Product category and there will be a drop down menu that will list "rabbit meat" or any other game meat available. You will find many suppliers.

Be aware that all meat sold in wholesale to restaurants or retail must be inspected and the processing facilities. "Wild Game" is a misnomer because all wild game served at restaurants or at retail are farmed raised. You cannot serve wild game to the public. The only wild meat that is sold retail or served to the public in a restaurant are many categories of seafood, not all.

Exceptions are that game can be processed for private consumption. If you take the kill to a processor, that processor must be licensed to process the meat for your own consumption.

In addition, game may be served at a private event as in a private club. Years ago I worked an event in NYC where game that was killed on a Safari in Africa was prepared, but it was served at a private event of the organization. That was legal then; I do not know about the present laws.

In essence all meat sold must be inspected. Individuals producer can only sell meat to the public, if it is so inspected. When, I first came to Colorado, there were people who killed deer and would show up at my hotel kitchen door and want to sell the product----that is not legal.

Livecontent

Old 02-02-2009, 12:00 AM

Well, I meant "wild game" in that the meats are more unusual to find, not "wild game" like I want to buy it off the back of a truck. I suppose I wasn't very clear about this. I don't really want animals that are hunted, I wanted these meats but from a place where they are farmed, so there is some control about quality, feed, disease, etc.

Thanks livecontent, this link looks like it will connect me to exactly what I need! I appreciate you helping me. Mmmm it looks like hubby will be very happy, very soon

And Mike, hey, I haven't had it Just trying to make my hubby happy. If/when we make I'll try to remember to tell you how it tastes, so I can give you more info. I just can't speak from personal experience. My husband and I are foodies, so if he's nuts for it, it must be nicer than just plain ol' chicken. I imagine it's like saying what rattlesnake tastes like, "oh, it's like fish and chicken." Which is sort of is....but it's also it's own thing, if that makes sense. I'm excited for a new culinary experiment!

Old 02-02-2009, 11:24 AM

2,756 posts, read 12,976,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barshney View Post
Well, I meant "wild game" in that the meats are more unusual to find, not "wild game" like I want to buy it off the back of a truck. I suppose I wasn't very clear about this. I don't really want animals that are hunted, I wanted these meats but from a place where they are farmed, so there is some control about quality, feed, disease, etc.
Wild game is by definition not farmed. I'm not sure if it's possible to obtain venison, elk, etc from a source that's farmed -- but even if you could, what would be the point? Meat from farm-raised animals will lack the health benefits that wild game provides, even if it is organically-raised.

Old 02-02-2009, 12:43 PM

5,089 posts, read 15,403,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tfox View Post
Wild game is by definition not farmed. I'm not sure if it's possible to obtain venison, elk, etc from a source that's farmed -- but even if you could, what would be the point? Meat from farm-raised animals will lack the health benefits that wild game provides, even if it is organically-raised.
With respect tfox, you are very wrong. When you go into any restaurant all those "wild" animal meat is farmed raised. It has been done for many years in this country and I can assure you, in Europe, for many generations.

You need only go to the Colorado Department of Agriculture website as I mentioned in my previous post:

Food and Ag Directory - Colorado Department of Agriculture (http://www.ag.state.co.us/FoodAgDirectory/ - broken link)

and this directory is only for Colorado

and you will find sources, for example, elk:
Home Page

This is one subject I know because I have bought, prepared many "wild" animals in many years, here in the US and Europe. In European cuisine, especially Germany, there are many species of Venison, for example, that are available for service. I have been to many food shows and all have vendors selling all kinds of wild meat from traditional venison, elk, buffalo etc. to some of the newer fads such as ostrich, alligator etc.

As far as real wild meat being healthier---how?? Are you talking about lean--the farm raised meats are just as lean and most forage on large expanse of land and have variable diets that still give it that gamy flavor. Is this essence or flavor any different??? from real wild??? some would say yes, some would say no.

I think it depends on the type of animal and the diet. However, real wild diet cannot be controlled and the extreme gamy flavor would not be acceptable to most people. I can tell you that from real experience of tasting and preparing African "Safari Meat", yes very interesting...healthy, I would not say that.

That is why many older classical recipes for game have steps of preparation and marination, to reduce the gamy taste. Also it was traditional for wild fowl to hang the birds until they got "high" which means they began to decay--that would improve the flavor, tenderize the meat. Of course, that method of preparation for public sale is verboten forbidden. In Europe, I have had an opportunity to taste a preparation, this way, and it is again, interesting...

I am not talking about dry aged beef, in this previous paragraph, that is not the same issue.

From my experience, I can tell you this about real wild meat that it contains many lesions, cancerous tumors, intestinal worms and other parasites, pus filled infections etc. that must be removed before preparation---not all the meat, all the time, but prevalent that you have to be aware. The farm raised "wild" animals are so treated to have less of these problems. That is the basis of the federal regulations for prohibition of these products offered for sale to the public.
Unless you consider these problems healthy.

I am not saying I know it all, because most of all that I have learned, experienced, saw, I have forgotten; cannot remember, and of course with age should come the knowledge that what you think you know may not be correct; but as we age we get stubborn and sometimes create truths that were not there--we lie.

Livecontent
Alumnus, The Culinary Institute of America

Last edited by livecontent; 02-02-2009 at 01:22 PM..

Old 02-03-2009, 09:25 PM

1,938 posts, read 7,125,710 times
Store and Meat Plant
2901 N. El Paso, Colorado Springs 80907
Retail Hours: Monday-Friday 8 a.m.-6 p.m.
Saturday 8 a.m.-5 p.m. Closed Sunday
(719) 473-2306 or 1-866-866-6328
www.ranchfoodsdirect.com

You might try these guys. Its a whole in the wall local butcher who only sells local/CO grown meat. I recall seeing more than your typical beef and pork..but don't remember what exactly. Very good quality of meat.

Old 02-03-2009, 11:00 PM

Thanks froggin. It doesn't look like they have rabbit or venison or goose, but I'm also a big fan of beef, lamb, etc. Thanks for the help!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs