Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2009, 09:13 PM

18 posts, read 40,197 times

Advertisements

Thanks for all the great advice. I think you have to have lived in So. Cal to know what I'm talking about. I'm hoping that Colorado doesn't turn into So. Cal in the next ten years. Wherever I turn more and more things are in Spanish or other languages for that matter!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2009, 09:50 PM

7 posts, read 25,779 times
Yea, as all said- the weather isnt a big issue. If you have a decent car- its something you will get used to fast. Monument will get more snow- but no more than Castle Rock. You most likely wont find an acre for that cheap in the springs- and Castle Rock is a drive if you work in the springs. Monument is nice if you dont mind the drive.

Old 02-15-2009, 04:26 PM
kjd

5 posts, read 20,728 times
I'm a San Diego native that moved to Colorado Springs in the summer of 2007. Believe me I know exactly why you want to get out of So Cal. The quality of life is much better here in so many areas. Especially if you have a family. If you're single and like alot of night life maybe not so. If you're looking for a beautiful place to live, slower life style, generally nice people, this is the place. Coming from So Cal. you will notice the slower paced life fairly quickly.

Old 02-17-2009, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjd View Post
I'm a San Diego native that moved to Colorado Springs in the summer of 2007. Believe me I know exactly why you want to get out of So Cal. The quality of life is much better here in so many areas. Especially if you have a family. If you're single and like alot of night life maybe not so. If you're looking for a beautiful place to live, slower life style, generally nice people, this is the place. Coming from So Cal. you will notice the slower paced life fairly quickly.
I'm sure hoping that's the case. We can't wait to live in a place where you're not stuck in traffic at any given time of the day. I'm sure it won't take long to get used to the cold, it's the driving in the snow that I'm concerned about. Although I'm sure it doesn't take long to get used to that either.

Old 02-17-2009, 11:34 AM

2,140 posts, read 6,466,691 times
Well, considering Cali and Colorado were part of the Viceroyalty of New Spain, spanish is not to be unexpected!

Old 02-17-2009, 02:11 PM

2,437 posts, read 8,181,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vbuck View Post
I'm sure hoping that's the case. We can't wait to live in a place where you're not stuck in traffic at any given time of the day. I'm sure it won't take long to get used to the cold, it's the driving in the snow that I'm concerned about. Although I'm sure it doesn't take long to get used to that either.
I think you'll find the area to your liking in many ways. But, you should know that COS has some pretty bad traffic around rush hour, especially with road work going on in several spots these days. It is often bumper-to-bumper even stop and go trying to get in and out of springs at peak hours. However, as soon as I get north of Briargate Pkwy. I've not had any serious problems with traffic and it is much more relaxing to drive. Academy Boulevard, on the other hand, is almost always a mess and it rivals El Camino, PCH or any other urban highways I've driven in CA.

That said... I'll bet that those who love Springs proper will disagree, so you should probably come out and visit before moving and judge for yourself.

Old 02-17-2009, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by treedonkey View Post
I think you'll find the area to your liking in many ways. But, you should know that COS has some pretty bad traffic around rush hour, especially with road work going on in several spots these days. It is often bumper-to-bumper even stop and go trying to get in and out of springs at peak hours. However, as soon as I get north of Briargate Pkwy. I've not had any serious problems with traffic and it is much more relaxing to drive. Academy Boulevard, on the other hand, is almost always a mess and it rivals El Camino, PCH or any other urban highways I've driven in CA.

That said... I'll bet that those who love Springs proper will disagree, so you should probably come out and visit before moving and judge for yourself.
Thanks for the info. We're making a trip out there in April so hopefully we will get a good idea of what it's like.

Old 02-17-2009, 05:27 PM

2,437 posts, read 8,181,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vbuck View Post
Thanks for the info. We're making a trip out there in April so hopefully we will get a good idea of what it's like.
Good idea. I came out here 9 times from NorCA over the course of 18 months before we actually moved, just to be sure it's what we wanted. You might not be able to travel out here that often, but in any case I suggest this:

Don't come out and just vacation the whole time, since vacations are far from reality. Try to find some tasks that will emulate some of the more mundane things like: driving to the store, buying groceries, trying to get across town at rush hour, and so on... And then make some time for recreation after 'work' or on the 'weekend'... whatever your actual lifestyle would allow.

When I came out, I tried to do landscaping and other chores all day with my family here, which involved many of those things. I have penty of chores here if you need some suggestions.

Old 02-18-2009, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by treedonkey View Post
Good idea. I came out here 9 times from NorCA over the course of 18 months before we actually moved, just to be sure it's what we wanted. You might not be able to travel out here that often, but in any case I suggest this:

Don't come out and just vacation the whole time, since vacations are far from reality. Try to find some tasks that will emulate some of the more mundane things like: driving to the store, buying groceries, trying to get across town at rush hour, and so on... And then make some time for recreation after 'work' or on the 'weekend'... whatever your actual lifestyle would allow.

When I came out, I tried to do landscaping and other chores all day with my family here, which involved many of those things. I have penty of chores here if you need some suggestions.
Thanks for the advice. We plan on spending 3 days there and then visiting family in Northern CO a few more days. We plan on looking at houses and really checking out the area.

Old 02-19-2009, 06:40 AM

5 posts, read 13,661 times
Monument is going to offer high speed internet in most places. What I have found is that if you have a south facing house (especially driveway) that gets plenty of sunshine the snow is not as much of an issue. In the summertime it is beautiful because the temperatures tend to be at least 10 degrees cooler. You also might consider Gleneagle because it "borders" Monument but you are not quite up to the Palmer Divide which is the range where the storms tend to catch and stay.

I believe that Castle Rock tends to be a little bit more expensive because you are getting closer to Denver.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs