Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2009, 10:24 AM

7,184 posts, read 9,315,042 times

Advertisements

I try to do most repairs myself on my cars, but some repairs require using a lift so I find that I must take it somewhere.

My problem is finding a shop that is competent, honest and affordable. I find that chain shops charge about $97 per hour for labor, they use a flat rate software program that inflates the labor hours, and they charge a rate for parts which is as much as twice the cost of a part through NAPA.

Do you have any recommendations for a better deal?

I am beginning to understand why my mother in law leases a new Camry every 2 years to avoid dealing with repair shops. Her car is new, it's always under warranty, and she knows exactly how much she will pay for a car. If I can't find a reasonable car repair shop, I think I'll follow her advice.

I am so sick of being screwed by these guys!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2009, 11:54 AM

454 posts, read 1,224,862 times
So what of car do you have and what kind of work do you need done? I have had some good work done by 2 garages here so far. One is Saabaru off of Highway 24 and the other is Grays Tire Gray's Tire & Auto, Colorado Springs, CO : Reviews and maps - Yahoo! Local . But what you are talking about is they way most shops are or else they wouldn't stay in business. Almost all shops start at about 90 a hour and up. Then since they are buying the parts thru there distributor then the parts are going to be a little marked up. So good luck in your qwest and some shops will let you bring your own parts.

Old 02-15-2009, 12:48 PM

1,938 posts, read 7,124,581 times
Depending on what side of town, I use Auto Tech Plaza in Security. Have been doing so for 13 yrs. Same guys/mechanics and DH used to be a mechanic (not there) so we go way back.

Old 02-16-2009, 01:01 AM

565 posts, read 1,847,651 times
The combined repair shop for all the Phil Long dealerships does a very good job - did one of my vehicles once. Can't remember the exact name but it has "Phil Long" in it.

Old 02-16-2009, 09:59 AM

121 posts, read 452,403 times
I have found "Tire World" to be a very honest shop. It's a local company; they have several locations throughout town. I've gone to the one on Centennial for about 10 years.

Contrary to what their name would make you think; they are a full service shop. I don't know what their labor charge is off the top of my head, but one thing I do know is they won't recommend work that isn't necessary.

Old 02-16-2009, 11:12 AM

641 posts, read 2,276,559 times
I recently had some work done on my truck. I took it to Bennet's Auto, off Platte and Circle. They did a great job, honest work, and charge half the labor that typical shops do.

I was a bit skeptical at first, but they did everything they said they would and it was a good experience.

They're always running specials on their labor rates and that makes it very worth it.

Bennett Enterprises Inc. Auto Repair 2735 E Platte Place Colo. Springs, Co. 80909 719-575-9097.

Dealerships are a rip off.....the labor rates and parts are super high.

Old 02-17-2009, 02:06 AM

565 posts, read 1,847,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terytee View Post
Dealerships are a rip off.....the labor rates and parts are super high.
Dealerships usually do not do body repair. They contract out or have a separate independent business.

If you are talking about diagnostics and component replacement, then that is typically done at the dealership and is high cost.

Here is the Phil Long Collision Repair Center website (the place I referenced earlier but couldn't remember the full name): http://www.phillongbodyshop.com/ It is owned by Phil Long and Phil Long does also own dealerships but it does not belong to any dealership.

Old 02-17-2009, 08:26 AM

Before you get your car worked on any where you shoudl check with BBB to see if there has been issues with them. Red Nolan is a really Auto Body repair and so is Saabaru. I did have a car I bought from Bennetts awhile back and they do treat you good.

Old 02-17-2009, 12:38 PM

7,184 posts, read 9,315,042 times
Thank you for the recommendations. I think I want to find an independent shop where the owner has been in business for several years and had developed satisfied customers. I'll look into the recommended sites.

Old 02-17-2009, 10:06 PM

So what kind of work are you talking about? Auto Body or a repair shop?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision67 View Post
Thank you for the recommendations. I think I want to find an independent shop where the owner has been in business for several years and had developed satisfied customers. I'll look into the recommended sites.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs