Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2010, 11:03 AM

553 posts, read 1,632,496 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by skog74 View Post
Does anybody who lives in Colorado Springs have any information regarding the water industry there?
Colorado Springs Utilities is the local water company. Colorado Springs Utilities. There's a new project ready to start that will involve the construction of a new water line from the Pueblo Reservoir to COS. Don't know if that fits your certification, but it should create some jobe in the not-too-distant future. Good luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2010, 06:20 PM

4 posts, read 30,667 times
Hoping to move to Colorado from Florida by May 2012 before if I can. I just got a 4x4 Jeep Grand Cherokee because everyone says I need 4wd out there. Probably better to have anyway since I have never lived in snow. Does anybody have any ideas about Gunnison, Colorado Springs, or Loveland? I work in the motorcycle/atv/dirtbike industry (clerical work) but would work in Walmart if I had too.

Old 08-23-2010, 06:24 PM

26,162 posts, read 48,881,878 times
Gunnison is a small, remote town with about the coldest winters in the lower 48 states. I doubt if there's much there in the way of jobs.

COLO SPGS has it's share of your dealers as does the Denver metro area.

IMO, either are a fine place, wherever you find work, there you are.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 08-23-2010, 09:55 PM

16,433 posts, read 22,154,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
wherever you find work, there you are.
Amen to that. If you have a job, hold on to it for dear life. Don't leave just hoping for something better over the blue horizon.

Old 08-29-2010, 09:09 PM

69 posts, read 239,619 times
A general response since many questions have come up about the Springs:
This is a beautiful place to be, lots of outdoors activity such as trails and scenery. I have been here for almost a year now. Great place to raise a family, nice people, low cost of living, decently slow pace compared to other cities. But, I wouldn't recommend it if you are single. I am an decent, educated guy with lots to offer. But it seems that most people are married or otherwise involved. The military presence is enormous. Personally I like working with the military families. But go downtown on a saturday night and you are competing with unending amounts of guys, military or otherwise. People in general are conservative. In my area, there are lots of fundamentalist Christians, and they are not shy about giving you the fourth degree if you are not a religious person. I am a live and let live person, but don't like people trying to push their beliefs on me.
I have had a blast here, and it isn't tough to meet people. But overall, you won't be in a hopping singles scene and it takes more work to enter the dating scene here. Age is a factor, divorced people seem to be plentiful, and I have met many people in their 40s and 50s that are single here. I guess being 33 puts me right in that age bracket where most people are raising kids and I am; 1. too old for the younger college girls and 2. too young for the older "cougars" (no offense).
So for any single people out there looking to move here, check out Denver if you can do the more urban environment. The nice thing is that there are parks and green spaces in Denver, kinda takes the sting out of city life in my opinion.

Old 08-29-2010, 09:48 PM

87 posts, read 219,392 times
SallySue,
Mike is right, Gunnison get's reeeally cold, and has deep snow too.
But if you like trout fishing... ohhh that's a great spot!
And deer hunting, as well as mountain biking etc.

It's got it's share of jobs, the airport there is always looking for Inspectors.
Same for the U.S.P.S. they always need rural carriers, it's one of the large towns in that area, it's notl ike it's remote.

But as with anywhere, jobs don't fall out of the sky, I bet there's at least 7-10 applicants , sometimes even 50 for jobs in the Springs.
It depends on you field,obviously in nursing you can work anywhere on the face of the planet.
But if you are a curator in Ancient Chinese History,that narrows the field a lot.

Old 12-09-2015, 09:11 PM

457 posts, read 643,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josseppie View Post
SKOG you asked:

"Can you please help me in my decision process? Is Colorado Springs the way to go? What about Pueblo, Boulder, Fort Collins, or any other city?"

Personally if I were you I would consider Pueblo. It is located 30 minues south of Colorado Springs and has a lot going on with new devlopments and is the business and shoping hub of the region.

Personally since Pueblo has a higher percentage of BROWN people, which is to MY liking and I know I'm not alone (after all I share the opinion of 150,000 "Puebloans") it's more comfortable. But if one were white, conservative, racist, and from the South, then The Springs might feel more "comfortable" because apparently they'd be around 419,000 of "their own kind." I know that 419,000 people can't ALL be bat-crap racist but maybe I've just gotten unlucky every single time I've been there!!

Yo! Is This Racist? | Colorado Springs is on the verge of burning down....

Old 12-09-2015, 11:23 PM

5,686 posts, read 4,120,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by penny1969 View Post

Personally since Pueblo has a higher percentage of BROWN people, which is to MY liking and I know I'm not alone (after all I share the opinion of 150,000 "Puebloans") it's more comfortable. But if one were white, conservative, racist, and from the South, then The Springs might feel more "comfortable" because apparently they'd be around 419,000 of "their own kind." I know that 419,000 people can't ALL be bat-crap racist but maybe I've just gotten unlucky every single time I've been there!!

You are responding to a comment that was made almost seven years ago.

Old 12-10-2015, 07:33 AM

1,778 posts, read 2,873,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by penny1969 View Post

Plus, yo, the post above is about as racist as it gets.

Old 12-11-2015, 11:56 AM

573 posts, read 1,449,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skog74 View Post
I have lived in California my whole life. I am 34 years old, married, and have two children....2 and 7 months old. My wife and I have lived in the San Joaquin Valley our entire lives and are sick and tired of it . We want to move BADLY, and definitely want to move to a different state. I've done a lot of research on Oregon, Idaho, and Colorado. I had my mind set on Oregon for the longest time, but decided the rain and cloudy weather would get to us. After a lot of research I've decided that Colorado Springs sounds like a great place to live and raise a family. I hear you get 4 full seasons (awesome) and it's pretty conservative (which we are). The thing about living in the San Joaquin Valley is the air quality is one of the worst in the country, the gangs are getting worse, only about 9 inches of rain a year, and the summers are HOT!! A couple of years ago we broke a record....18 straight days of 105 or higher. Fresno, which is 45 minutes north of us, got up to 118 during that span. We hardly have a spring or fall. It will go from 70 degrees to 90 in about two weeks and then summer is hear to stay. One more thing....I'm not trying to sound racist, but the whites are a minority now. We have so many non english-speaking hispanics in this area. A lot of the gangs we have are hispanic and asian. We want to get away so badly . I want to raise my kids in a better area. Can you please help me in my decision process? Is Colorado Springs the way to go? What about Pueblo, Boulder, Fort Collins, or any other city? I REALLY appreciate the help. We've never been to Colorado but it sounds amazing. We don't need a lot of rain....just more than 9 inches a year, and the average high in the summer of high 80's sounds wonderful to me. I'm sorry I'm rambling as so scatterbrained. THANK YOU AGAIN FOR HELPING!!
Lived in Oregon for 30 years and it does not get that much rain and the sun shines. Washington--western gets a lot of rain and is gloomy. I left there because of an increase in drugs, crime, and gangs. So good choice to not go there. I love it here. As far as where to live, that just depends on your needs and wants at this stage of your life. Springs area fits us to a T and we are very happy we moved here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs