Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2007, 11:32 PM

16 posts, read 88,149 times

Advertisements

I know, I know all over the place but those are the choices and we have to choose just one! Kinda hard as we have never been to ANY of them.

Here is a little background. Our family, that includes two children ages 4 and 2, live in San Diego right now and can't wait to move just based on home prices and cost of living alone. On the positive side, we love the outdoors and the cultural diversity of San Diego.

We don't mind urban living as long as it is safe and has easy access to a park(s). Nothing too rural as we don't like the feeling of being so isolated but a house on the water would be a dream come true. Schools are very important because of the kids.

What do you think?? Are they all about the same or is there a real choice to be made? Help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2007, 11:56 PM

208 posts, read 979,805 times
for me, i'd probably pick portland.

have you visited all those places? yes, there are differences.

Old 03-20-2007, 12:02 AM

16 posts, read 88,149 times
Never been to any besides portland and colorado springs airports. Thus the dilema. Just trying to get a feeling on people who have actually been, lived and possibly visited some of the others. Much better than just reading statistics on each city. (Fingers crossed!)

Old 03-20-2007, 12:06 AM

since you are from CA - i would guess you would like colorado springs or portland best... you should really visit a place before you decide to move there, can you?

Old 03-20-2007, 08:10 AM

9,986 posts, read 18,670,703 times
I lived in Portland Or 32 years, schools have some real issues and the weather isnt great. Lived in NC a year, that was a year too long. Me we are going to Co. been there a couple of times great schools, affordable houses great outdoors and loved it.

Old 03-20-2007, 08:17 AM

3,041 posts, read 11,888,220 times
going from San Diego to Portland would be hard during the rainy season. I lived in Seattle and It was a real hard adjustment. From NOV. - March the weather pretty much sucked! (yes there were a few nice days but mostly overcast and alot of rain!!) Portland is better than seattle but it is wet.
NOW...JUNE, JULY and August....fantastic!! not a more beautiful site than a clear day seeing MT Rainer just dominate the view!!

Old 03-20-2007, 09:35 AM

Location: Unlike most on CD, I'm not afraid to give my location: Milwaukee, WI.
1,789 posts, read 4,154,552 times
Default Scratch Boise from list

I would go to Boise in a heartbeat, but it sure doesn't have the cultural diversity you "love." So I'd scratch it from your list, and go with diverse Greensboro. Enjoy

Old 03-20-2007, 09:56 AM

585 posts, read 2,223,504 times
Wow. Those all seem radically different areas in terms of climate. NC gets really uncomfortable in the summer. Boise and Colo Springs is really dry, Portland is really wet, RI is fairly wet with cold winters. Might wanna figure that one out first.

Old 03-20-2007, 09:57 AM

20 posts, read 85,950 times
Default My vote is 1:GSO, 2:Colorado Spr, 3:Portland

Greensboro, NC offers trees and grassy fields, 4 distinct seasons, 3 hours to the coast, 3 hours to the mountains. The economy is stable and the cost of living is reasonable, better than comparably sized cities in the Northeast and Pacific Northest. There are lake-side communities outside of Greensboro that offer lakeside living, such as Belew's Creek. It is a good location for outdoorsy people because of the mountains, State/National Parks, and the beaches. NC offers, in my opinion of course, one of the best state university systems in the country (16 universities including UNC-Chapel Hill, UNC-Greensboro, and NC State) not to mention Wake Forest and, ugh, Duke.

Boise has a University and is very scenic (my opinion) but can be cold and brown a good bit of the year. It may feel very isolated compared to SD.

Portland is a top destination for disgruntled Californians. It has a great downtown area, plenty of culture, superior mass transit, and a green ethic. It can be very liberal; depends on what you like. It's cloudy and rainy much of the year, and gets a little snowfall on occasion which usually melts in a few days or less. Mt. Hood and the Columbia River are beautiful and challenging outdoor playgrounds.

Colorado Springs on the other hand is more conservative, much sunnier and drier, and growing. It may be a good choice for a San Diegan who likes sunshine and wants outdoor recreation. More of a high desert climate. Cost of living is quickly going up as the city grows, but still much better than SoCal. Lakeside living may be harder to find. It is family-friendly, but I don't know anything about the schools.

I don't know anything about RI, although I have visited its coastline, which is very scenic.

Greensboro public schools vary from excellent to fair, depending on the district, so research in advance. Greensboro may be the most "family-friendly" on your list, hence its #1 ranking on my list. Portland is the most urban. (just an opinion, hope it helps)

Old 03-20-2007, 12:01 PM

portland is similar to san francisco politics. it can be very green, very liberal - but not as extreme as SF. public transit, restaurants, culture, are all top notch in portland.

colorado springs is a totally different vibe and politics. it is more conservative with lots of military, but is a very nice town in its own right. have you considered the denver area?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs