Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2010, 07:10 AM

1 posts, read 2,789 times

Advertisements

Could any of you kind Colorado-ians ;-) give me a good take on the weather? I'm a healthy 50 yr old single woman who really likes living on the outskirts of towns (or smaller towns) I've been living in Virginia last 14 yrs (so there has been some snow here (this year a record I had 4 feet in my yard)and grew up in Missouri (so more snow) both of which have high humidity and wet winters...How cold is cold there? Dry cold seems different, but I've not lived in a dry winter climate for long stretches? How long a stretch on the average is the worst of winter? How cold is REALLY COLD? Can anyone share a "average" heating bill for a 2,000 sq ft house with average insulation? (yes, I'm looking into pellet stoves and passive wind/solar means as well), It seems that a/c isn't really a consideration (yeah!) is this true? How are the groceries out there? Is there much organic produce available? Any gardeners out there? I'm looking to do a substantial garden and canning if the growing season cooperates (I don't rule out a greenhouse either), And last, the drive...If I trade in my mini cooper and get a real 4-wheel drive hybrid, will I be able to drive out to Colorado Springs if I end up working there? Many thanks for your patience and time on this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2010, 07:57 AM

69 posts, read 223,560 times
I live in Woodland Park so maybe I can help.

For gardening info, check out: www.wpharvestcenter.org | -- high altitude gardening . Bottom line is, it's tough, the growing season is very short. Without a greenhouse, you'll need to start plants indoors. I had a lot of luck growing peas and green beans last year, but the tomatoes, carrots, cucumbers, and green peppers I planted didn't work out.

For general city info, you can check out WoodlandParkLife.

It rarely feels cold here...it can stay below freezing for weeks on end, but doesn't feel cold unless it's in the single digits or below. Lately it's been in the 10-20 degree range in the mornings, and I'm out walking my dog in a fleece, light jacket over that, and light gloves; no hat needed.

I'm not quite certain of our heating bill, but we have a gas furnace with the thermostat set to 62, anything above that we use a pellet stove for. We go through about 100 bags of pellets a year ($5/bag). The house gets full sun on its south wall during the day, and this makes a huge difference...on a sunny day, the pellet stove won't be needed, but on a cloudy cold day, it might be running most of the day.

The road between Woodland Park and Colorado Springs is very well maintained during winter, your mini cooper could handle that fine. You might need four wheel drive at times to drive that last little bit to your house, depending on where you buy. Otherwise, a front wheel drive car (preferably with dedicated winter snow tires) can get you where you need to go.

As for how long winter can last, I have a fun rear wheel drive sports car, and usually around the first of December I park it for good in the garage and it doesn't come out again until May. December can be decent, usually just a little cold but not too much snow, same with January and February. March/April we get lots of snow though we also get warmer days (40s, 50s) mixed in. It can even snow in May or June. Temperatures don't usually dip below zero, but it does happen now and then.

One more thing, yes, it's true that AC just isn't needed here. Keep a window or two open and you're fine, it doesn't usually get that hot.

Old 03-26-2010, 10:22 AM

26,212 posts, read 49,031,855 times
Sparky, hello and welcome to City Data.

We left the DC area (NoVA) in 2005 to get away from the climate, costs, crowding and gridlock. We have NO regrets!

Weather in this area is DRY, and that's a huge difference compared to back east. Due to very low humidity, the heat and cold do not penetrate the way it does elsewhere. Having lived in the Baltimore-DC area for 57 years, my current definition of "really cold" is zero or less, temps that are almost unheard of in the DC area. Yes, it gets down to zero here, and up in WP you'll see -10 a time or two almost every winter, but its not a problem.

Come on out and explore.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 03-26-2010, 11:22 AM

2,437 posts, read 8,182,861 times
Woodland Park
PROS
* Right on the Hwy 24 corridor which will take you into some relly beautiful, but less crowded, areas of the high country in no more than an two-hour drive.
* Possible to commute to COS for work from there (though not at all advisable, IMO).
* Scenic, with lots of local hiking, mountain biking and other outdoors things to do, right from the edge of town.
* Nice little downtown with some good eateries and shops.

CONS
* It's become way too overdeveloped in recent years and it poised to get much worse... It seems like everyone who comes to this forum looking for a 'quiet', 'outdoorsy' mountain lifestyle within driving distance of a city is instructed to go to Woodland Park, so to me, that does not bode well for its future at all.
* Not cheap at all, at least not for a place that's not in a city AND not near any country resort areas.
* It's downtown is decent, but it doesn't have a very distinct personality of its own since it's mainly of a mix of small, locally owned shops and places like WalMart and BrakesPlus.
* There can be some horrid traffic through town on a nice summer weekend as hundreds of thousands of front-rangers and other tourists try to get in or out of the high country through there.

Old 03-26-2010, 01:52 PM

553 posts, read 1,635,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by treedonkey View Post
Woodland Park
PROS
And the Donut Mill. Don't forget the Donut Mill.

Old 03-26-2010, 02:29 PM

3,135 posts, read 11,889,319 times
Our gas bill last month was $140 and we keep our house at 70 during the nights and 63 at night and during the day when we aren't here. It was rather cold last month. We also run our gas fireplace several hours a night. In the summer the gas bill is under $30. House is 2600sq ft and built in mid 80's.

Old 03-26-2010, 02:59 PM

69 posts, read 223,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by treedonkey View Post
CONS
* It's become way too overdeveloped in recent years and it poised to get much worse... It seems like everyone who comes to this forum looking for a 'quiet', 'outdoorsy' mountain lifestyle within driving distance of a city is instructed to go to Woodland Park, so to me, that does not bode well for its future at all.
I disagree with that. This town has very little buildable land left, it's mostly surrounded by national forest. I do expect the area around Wal-Mart to be built out with businesses, and there are still some residential lots to be built. Golf course will get more units added, too. However, this town will never suffer the 'sprawl' and overbuilding that occurs in so many other places. I believe we're expecting to someday grow to around 13,000 people but not much more than that.

Old 03-26-2010, 03:01 PM

From what I've been told, WP's growth is limited due to the amount of water taps available.

There are only 90 allotted for 2010.

Old 03-26-2010, 03:16 PM

2,437 posts, read 8,182,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt314159 View Post
I disagree with that. This town has very little buildable land left, it's mostly surrounded by national forest. I do expect the area around Wal-Mart to be built out with businesses, and there are still some residential lots to be built. Golf course will get more units added, too. However, this town will never suffer the 'sprawl' and overbuilding that occurs in so many other places. I believe we're expecting to someday grow to around 13,000 people but not much more than that.
You're right. WP is hardly a candidate for endless sprawl. I was thinking of growth in terms of density... Apartments, Condos, etc. and in expense, and not so much in area. What's the population there now? 13k seems like a huge amount to me for a mountain town, but then I live in a town of only 2k and still wish I could afford my own 40-acre spread.

Old 03-26-2010, 03:27 PM

WP is around 7,600 in population.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs