Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-23-2009, 12:30 PM

2,437 posts, read 8,181,500 times

Advertisements

I just went to the CM Zoo in COS for the first time this past Saturday. I went expecting something like: A petting zoo with a some goats, a couple mangy Coyotes or Foxes, and maybe an insect house or something. But I was very pleasantly surprised and how nice and well-cared-for it was. It was one of the nicest zoos I've ever been to: right up there with San Diego, SF and Milwaukee Zoos, all of which I've been to several times.

The enclosures were very well designed -- clean, safe and seemed to be fairly pleasant for the animals. One can safely get very close to many of the animals, including Giraffes, Mtn. Lions, Moose and many others. The new Rocky Mtn. Visit is incredible, and the Mtn. Lion Exhibit is the best! Of course, CMZ is not one of the bigger zoos you'll ever see, but what it lacks in size it more than makes up for with that beautiful, unique Mountainside setting.

The only drawback there was the parking, which was also a zoo. They really need to run some shuttles in there or something.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2009, 03:09 PM

553 posts, read 1,635,554 times
I made my first visit to CMZ close to 15 years ago, and the upgrades that have been done since then are terrific. It was good then; it's much better now. It's really a pleasure to pay an admission fee somewhere when you know the money is going right back into facility improvements rather than the owner's pocket.

The Denver Zoo is bigger, but I like the feel of the Cheyenne Mountain Zoo much better.

Old 03-23-2009, 06:33 PM

77 posts, read 352,314 times
Yes I will agree that the parking there is a zoo itself. We went late sunday and spent 30 mins trying to get a parking spot. I was so ready to just go home. The zoo was well worth the wait though. I wish we would have made it to the shrine but there will be plenty of time for that. Just the views alone paid for the admission. The animal exhibits were very nice but later in the day while we were there they really didnt have any events going. Next time we will plan to go early.

Old 03-23-2009, 10:04 PM

3,135 posts, read 11,886,868 times
Definitely gotta go during Christmas when they have the whole place lit up! The only zoo me and my wife have actually bought a season pass to

Old 03-23-2009, 10:16 PM

18,210 posts, read 25,843,605 times
I haven't been to the Cheyenne Mt. Zoo in many years, but grew up in the Springs as a kid. Remembered going there several times. I believe the zoo has been ranked as one of the best zoos in the United States for many years now.

Old 03-23-2009, 10:20 PM

32 posts, read 96,517 times
I had a season pass & used to volunteer there...great fun! I can't wait to get back to CoS.

Old 03-25-2009, 10:40 PM

149 posts, read 323,027 times
Great place to take the children. Buy the season pass if you plan to go more then twice in the year with two adults. I believe children under three are free.

Old 03-26-2009, 06:58 AM

3,644 posts, read 10,937,498 times
We just went the other day. We had signed the kids up for a class there. I was so disappointed. The class offered (among other things) to introduce the kids to the newborn baby animals. What it did was let them feed the giraffes (why did I pay $20 for that?!) and they made a toy for the orangutangs. Very disappointing.

In addition, after reading this thread, I really expected better. I grew up in Chicago and visit San Diego at least once a year. In comparison to say the Detroit Zoo, this one is amazing. In comparison to the 3 zoos I've gone to the most in my life (Lincoln Park, Brookfield, San Diego), this was a dismal disappointment. The Mountaineer Sky Ride was breathtaking, but there was a hole in the fabric of our seat and my entire backside got drenched (apparently the cushions underneath the vinyl were wet). Several exhibits were closed for remodeling, there were almost no "natural habitats", the stench of the monkey house kept us out of it (have they HEARD of ventilation?!), etc. Enclosed pens with hay thrown on the ground are NOT natural habitats for snakes, hippos, gorillas, etc.

It was perfect zoo weather. I wish I'd spent the $120 (admission + class for kids + lunch + souvenir for each child) on something else.

Old 03-26-2009, 04:39 PM

6,821 posts, read 10,512,019 times
Get a membership - it pays for itself many times over. And unlike virtually every other zoo in the country, the Cheyenne Mountain Zoo does not get any tax dollars.

Old 03-27-2009, 11:59 PM

454 posts, read 1,224,638 times
Yeah the zoo kicks butt. But remember to take a jacket since the weather changes all time up there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs