Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2009, 11:02 AM

4,306 posts, read 13,470,946 times

Advertisements

I did it last May and really enjoyed it. I can't tell if anyone else mentioned this but you do sit in the same seat going up and down and as the train doesn't turn around, you will see the same things on both trips. But on the other hand, if you miss anything on the way up, you can see it on the way down. The guys who drive the train keep up a fun and informative running commentary and if it's a nice sunny day you'll have amazing views on all sides.

FYI: When I went they only gave us what felt like 20 minutes at the top and as you get higher it gets quite cold inside the train and it was VERY cold at the top, even in late May. You may also feel light-headed or have difficulty catching your breath up top.

There is a road up to the top but at some point it becomes just a dirt track and is very twisty. Personally, I'd rather let someone else take the strain and drive me up
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2009, 11:04 AM

2,437 posts, read 8,183,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coloradohh View Post
20yrsinbranson, you said don't go with kids? I have 2 little ones under 6 and 3 and i do plan on taking them... does the Pikes Peak Cog warn folks about this ahead of time? I have a backpack for the little guy, kind of like a hiking backpack, i can place him in there and off we go... are strollers a common thing to see on or up there? should i keep the kiddy stroller in the car? I dont plan to use it, anyone who has 2 kids knows that if you are carrying one, the other will not want to walk...
I don't know what Branson was referring to and I'm not trying to debunk his/her statement, but as far as I know the Cog Train itself is very kid-friendly and is not dangerous at all. Of course, if your children are easily frightened by heights or if they can't take the bitterly cold winds at the top, then you might want to rethink bringing them.

Old 04-28-2009, 11:10 AM

25 posts, read 126,167 times
Treedonkey, thanks that was a relief... because i will be on vacation and honestly if i cant take them up there that means i cant go either.... does anyone recall seeing strollers up there? i saw some of escape California pictures and they were very beautiful... Nice Camera! but i did not see strollers... I saw a bunch of dirt roads... up at the top.. thats a bit tuff to push a stroller on...

Old 04-28-2009, 11:19 AM

3,331 posts, read 5,956,158 times
I wish I had taken the Cog the one time I've been up the Peak. I drove it. That was I don't remember how many minutes of white knuckle terror.

Old 04-28-2009, 11:28 AM

15,852 posts, read 35,132,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by treedonkey View Post
I don't know what Branson was referring to and I'm not trying to debunk his/her statement, but as far as I know the Cog Train itself is very kid-friendly and is not dangerous at all. Of course, if your children are easily frightened by heights or if they can't take the bitterly cold winds at the top, then you might want to rethink bringing them.
I guess I wasn't clear. Sorry. The Cog realroad isn't dangerous but being up on the top of the mountain is. I mean, it's 14,000 feet, you know? There are lots of opportunities for a kid to get hurt, trust me. There were youngish kids on the railroad (well 8 or 9), and they seemed to be liking it fine. I can't imagine taking a 2 or 3 year old up there. That would be insanity.

20yrsinBranson

Old 04-28-2009, 11:34 AM

10,420 posts, read 14,601,055 times
I was five when I first rode the cog road to the summit. I thought I'd died and gone to heaven.

The area at the summit isn't all that large, so I think you can pack your children.

There is a road to the summit. It runs through much different country, so I'd recommend both trips. Years ago, there was an arrangement that allowed people to go one way by train and the other by car, but it meant that you were riding in a car with strangers unless you wanted to hire the whole vehicle.

There are a number of old railroad grades in Colorado that are now auto roads. I'd particularly recommend two. One is the Gold Camp Road, the former route of thee Short Line, running from Colorado Springs to Cripple Creek. When you leave Cripple Creek, take the Shelf Road south to US 50. It makes a great trip.

The other is Chalk Creek Canyon from Nathrop to St. Elmo, the route of the Denver, Sout Park, and Pacific. The railroad grade beyond St. Elmo is still full of ties, so it's a rough drive. It goes up to the Alpine Tunnel, which is blocked. I haven't been there in years, so I don't know if it's drivable at all beyond St. Elmo. Happily the road from Natrop to St. Elmo is excellent.

There is another way out of St. Elmo; that's Tincup Pass which is one of the highest in Colorado. It goes over to Ticup, which is in Taylor Park, a remote and beautiful mounain park. From there you would go north and cross the divide again on Cottonwood Pass and then come into Buena Vista. I haven't been over Tincup Pass in thirty years. It was in bad shape requiring either high ground clearance or a very small car. Asking locally helps, but different people have different standards of an acceptable road.

But at any rate, do take the Cog. It will be the absolute high point of your trip.

Old 04-28-2009, 11:35 AM

553 posts, read 1,635,955 times
Personally, I prefer the Auto Road up the Peak. Not only is it cheaper, but I think the views are better, and you can do things at your own pace....stop when and where you want to...stay on top for as long as you wish.

Old 04-28-2009, 11:53 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,778,277 times
The Pike's Peak Cog RR has been on our Things To Do list for years. I have watched the TV show on the Hillclimb and been very impressed. We both like mountain dirt roads. The road from Glenwood to Mongollon, NM is a blast.

For the folks that can't get to Colorado but are in the Northeast, there is the Mt. Washington Cog RR in northern NH. the mountain is not as big but is still very impressive. There is also an auto road to the top. We do intend to take it this summer.

Old 04-28-2009, 11:53 AM

2,437 posts, read 8,183,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
I guess I wasn't clear. Sorry. The Cog realroad isn't dangerous but being up on the top of the mountain is. I mean, it's 14,000 feet, you know? There are lots of opportunities for a kid to get hurt, trust me. There were youngish kids on the railroad (well 8 or 9), and they seemed to be liking it fine. I can't imagine taking a 2 or 3 year old up there. That would be insanity.

20yrsinBranson
If you asked the railroad folks this question directly, they would undoubtedly warn you about the weather, then tell you to keep a close eye on the kids and to make sure they stay in the designated areas. Some parents might consider taking a little one up there insanity, whereas others would feel just fine about it... Either way, the info posted here should be sufficient for you to make an informed decision.

Have fun, whatever you decide.

Old 04-28-2009, 12:31 PM

25 posts, read 126,167 times
Thank you all for the great replies! I think i am going to do it...I am not to worried about the older one who is 6, Im just worried about the little guy, he is 3... I guess once im there i will decide but i think i am going to go to Garden of the Gods for sure...This should be exciting... Thank you all for your replies...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs