Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-04-2021, 12:05 PM

1,455 posts, read 1,858,972 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by otowi View Post
Glad to hear of activity picking up. I think our cold/wet May has contributed to a lot of birds getting late starts to breeding season - waiting for food sources to become better, etc.
I'm happy to see them, but their numbers have definitely dwindled.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2021, 08:46 PM

6,823 posts, read 10,518,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtngigi View Post
I'm happy to see them, but their numbers have definitely dwindled.
It's so tragic. We have lost 3 billion birds from what should be here in America since the 70s, and this feels like yet another sharp decline. https://www.3billionbirds.org/

Old 06-07-2021, 08:11 AM

1,836 posts, read 3,166,398 times
This year, I have Chipping Sparrows insisting on building a nest in a small shrub in my back yard, about 1 foot off the ground. My dachshunds pulled the nest apart yesterday (there were no eggs yet), and this morning the birds are back rebuilding. I put a wire fence around the shrub for now as my dogs are fascinated with it.

Old 06-08-2021, 06:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beezle1 View Post
This year, I have Chipping Sparrows insisting on building a nest in a small shrub in my back yard, about 1 foot off the ground. My dachshunds pulled the nest apart yesterday (there were no eggs yet), and this morning the birds are back rebuilding. I put a wire fence around the shrub for now as my dogs are fascinated with it.
Thanks for trying to protect it from your dogs

Old 06-09-2021, 02:34 PM

Quote:
It's so tragic. We have lost 3 billion birds from what should be here in America since the 70s, and this feels like yet another sharp decline. https://www.3billionbirds.org/
That's hard to read.

Plastic is a biggie ... no one uses a plastic bottle over and over again for as much and as long as I do. The recycling we do barely puts a dent in the problem. In my opinion, plastic waste is not going to improve until manufacturers are forced to use packing that either replaces, or lessens the amount of plastic used.

Since (almost) every freaking thing we buy is made in China, that mandate probably wouldn't stand a chance. "Made in America" manufacturers could make some changes for the better. But that's wishful thinking.

In Manitou, we have to recycle, which is great and I'm happy to do - but seems pointless until someone addresses the bigger problem of where all that plastic is coming from in the first place.

I recently ordered (twice) a frozen seafood product from Amazon. Each 10 oz. box came packed in huge styrofoam coolers, placed within huge cardboard boxes. So I had two huge styrofoam containers to dispose of. And Amazon runs ads about how they're "going green" for the environment ... yeah, right. I won't be ordering those products again.

Old 06-12-2021, 03:49 PM

If you've never really seen our state bird, now is the time to go for a drive east of town, particularly early in the morning. I was driving in the area from Rush to Edison today and there are thousands of them out there. The males are singing, filling the air. They do something called larking, where they flying up in the air and down in a big narrow arc while singing loudly to attract a mate. The males are very dapper black with bold white wing bars.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mWq5...channel=VHSArk

Old 07-06-2021, 10:06 AM

As far as I can tell, it seems there have only been a few hummingbirds coming to my feeders. And I haven't seen a single one in the last few days. It almost seems like they've already left. Sure hope others are seeing more action at the feeders than I have this summer.

Old 07-06-2021, 10:09 AM

670 posts, read 1,052,766 times
I still have them downtown, they have been busy in my trumpet vine that is flowering. Definitely fewer than last summer though.

Old 07-06-2021, 10:11 AM

Quote:
If you've never really seen our state bird, now is the time to go for a drive east of town, particularly early in the morning. I was driving in the area from Rush to Edison today and there are thousands of them out there. The males are singing, filling the air. They do something called larking, where they flying up in the air and down in a big narrow arc while singing loudly to attract a mate. The males are very dapper black with bold white wing bars.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mWq5...channel=VHSArk
I don't know that I've ever seen one. Are they only located in specific areas, like on the eastern plains? Seems like a state bird should be everywhere and easy to spot. I've heard a few bird songs this summer that I didn't recognize. It's been a quiet bird summer around my house.

Old 07-06-2021, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarrySkiesAbove View Post
I still have them downtown, they have been busy in my trumpet vine that is flowering. Definitely fewer than last summer though.
Good to know they're around somewhere. For the most part, my yard is xeriscaped. With the little bit of planting area I have, I plan on planting perennials this fall and have been researching what flowers will attract hummingbirds.

From what I've read, trumpet vines can be invasive and overtake things. Are yours like that, or do you have some way of keeping them in check?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs