U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2009, 02:52 PM

1,145 posts, read 1,332,372 times

Advertisements

I get so many Grackles that it looks like Alfred Hitchcock's "The Birds" is being reshot in my front yard, lol. And they wipe out the feeders so quickly!

Love the photo of the cat looking out the window.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2009, 02:53 PM

2,724 posts, read 6,345,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtngigi View Post
. . .
Love the photo of the cat looking out the window.
Yes, that kitty is truly in the catbird seat.

Old 10-02-2009, 02:59 PM

1,145 posts, read 1,332,372 times
My cat is so old that he just looks with disinterest at most birds - though the "invasion" of the Grackles peaked his interest a bit! I swear my yard and trees where black with them. They were having some sort of convention.

Old 10-21-2009, 07:17 PM

236 posts, read 301,406 times
Default Strange looking bird

Helping himself to some birdseed today - north east Briargate area - that's Austin Bluffs in the background.
Attached Thumbnails
Birds, Birding, and Hummingbirds-raccoon1d.jpg  

Old 12-07-2009, 11:45 AM

1 posts, read 3,027 times
I live inside El-Paso county proper- Mountain Shadows area- basically Centennial and Vindicator- right under "the scar"- you know what I"m talking about if you're local and live on the west side.

I use store-brand bird seed- I look for high-fat content for the winter months- I've also experimented with home-made Suet, but I've not used that in quite some time. I've been feeding for 6 years at my house. I use hummer feeders with home-made nectar in the summer- 4:1 ratio of water/sugar and no food coloring as my feeders are well established at this point.

Here's what I typically see: House Finches, Golden Finches, Sparrows, Scrubjays, blue jays, flickers, Juncos, Spotted towhees, red-tail hawks, peregrine falcons, I've seen ONE bald eagle, great-horned owls, grackles, magpies, rufous hummers, ruby-throated hummers, broad tailed hummers, annas hummers, alans hummers and broad-billed hummers- the hummers usually start to migrate in late august, early september. I did get some action on my feeders in mid-september, but I usually take them down the first week of september- got to it late this year. I've seen one bluebird, which is kinda rare, Chickadee's and even woodpeckers every now and then. At the moment, i have a steady flow of juncos, the usual finches and sparrows, scrubjays, bluejays and flickers. The spotted towhee was a recent sighting- first time I've seen one at my feeder in 6 years. I used to put out un-salted peanuts for the scrub jays and blue jays but the magpies somehow instantly know when I put them out and they're gone within 5 minutes, so I've stopped for now. The seed I use has lots of black-oil sunflower seeds, which is what the jays like, but they do prefer peanuts.

Happy birding!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BabyKong1608 View Post
I know I am a total nerd for doing this, but I LOVE birds and birding and birdfeeding and anything birds. I am trying to revive this post to get more information.

All of you bird lovers out there who put out feeders, etc.:

Can you tell me...

1. If you live IN the city or on the outskirts/mountain areas

2. What type of food you put out

3. What kind of birds typically come to your feeders and yards

4. And if you want, any rare birds and what types have visited you

Thanks for your input!

Old 12-07-2009, 05:59 PM

6,076 posts, read 8,278,103 times
I saw a belted kingfisher this weekend on a wire over Fountain Creek at Nevada Ave.

Old 01-12-2010, 05:01 PM

50 posts, read 199,602 times
I'm so glad to find this post. I love birdwatching. I've lived in an apt for the last two and half years where I couldn't put out a bird feeder. When we get to Colorado I will have a yard again! Anyway.. Someone mentioned seeing a bald eagle. How common are they in that area?

Old 01-12-2010, 05:19 PM

6,076 posts, read 8,278,103 times
Not very, they don't roost here, but I've seen one or two.

Old 01-13-2010, 12:52 PM

87 posts, read 233,278 times
Not to be a wet blanket (since I love birds and especially hummers) but isn't it against Colorado law to feed wild animals including birds? I think I read this somewhere else on a site that was discussing bear problems.

Old 01-13-2010, 02:18 PM

50 posts, read 199,602 times
I just looked this up. And I found this on the Colorado Dept. of Wildlife Page. It's definitely not illegal. It's only illegal to feed big game.

The Division of Wildlife supports and encourages using backyard bird feeders to supplement natural food for song birds. Be sure that the food you provide song birds is fresh and clean. Also make sure you clean the feeder periodically. Common bird foods include sunflower seed and millet. Some birds also are attracted by fresh fruit. In addition to your feeder, be sure to offer a source of water for your backyard birds, year-round if possible. Remember, if you start a bird feeding program, some bird experts suggest you continue all winter and through spring. That way those birds that become dependent on the feeder will still have a source of food.
A word of caution, however. If you live in bear country, be aware that certain bird foods, particularly hummingbird nectar, are very attractive to bruins. Put your bird foods and hummingbird feeders away if you don’t want to inadvertently create potentially dangerous conflicts with our state’s largest predator close to your home. For more information, contact your nearest Division of Wildlife office.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs