Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-24-2009, 11:52 PM

175 posts, read 439,271 times

Advertisements

Are most people in the 22-30 year old range that moved from other areas fairly happy in the Colorado Springs area? Especially after moving from somewhere else???? Please be totally honest. I'm a 26 year old and have lived here for 4 months.

I know wherever you go there's the bad but I'm just wondering what others think about this particular age range. Suggestions are definately welcome, especially for nearby cities and such.

For jobs as well, do most people in this age with degrees get good jobs?

I like the Springs but I just want honest opinions from single people in this particular age range. Or from people older or younger that know from experience from others.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2009, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderbomb82 View Post
Are most people in the 22-30 year old range that moved from other areas fairly happy in the Colorado Springs area? Especially after moving from somewhere else???? Please be totally honest. I'm a 26 year old and have lived here for 4 months.

I know wherever you go there's the bad but I'm just wondering what others think about this particular age range. Suggestions are definately welcome, especially for nearby cities and such.

For jobs as well, do most people in this age with degrees get good jobs?

I like the Springs but I just want honest opinions from single people in this particular age range. Or from people older or younger that know from experience from others.
Well anybody?? have comments????

Old 05-26-2009, 12:12 AM

2,756 posts, read 12,976,875 times
Well, CS is known for being more of a family town. Overall, it's pretty suburban for a city its size, though there are some more unique areas particularly on the west side of town. It's also known for being kind of difficult in the employment side of things except for the military/defense industries. But, it does have its redeeming qualities, particularly for those who are active and into outdoor sports.

If you're finding CS a bit dull, let's just say that Denver is just an hour away. While truly big-city people may even find Denver a bit on the sleepy side, I think for most single people Denver has more than enough to divert you on your weekends.

Old 05-26-2009, 12:25 AM

2 posts, read 4,169 times
Ive lived here with my fiance for just over a year now. I moved from a suburb of Orlando but grew up in Vancouver. I'm 28.
At first, I really liked it here. It seemed to have all the amenities of a first-tier city. But over this past year, we have noticed that this city is really an over-grown small town. Downtown (if you can call it that) is boring. 2 malls. Same old chain restaurants. Little/no nightlife. When there is an event, like frontier days, its like the whole city goes to it. I was joking earlier saying that it's "something to do day".
This city is really only geared towards 2 things: The military and families. Not that I have a problem with that, but we don't fall into either catagory.
As far as jobs go...don't hold your breathe. Defense and IT are the only big sectors here. And those that have those jobs don;t tend to leave them very often.
We went to downtown Denver today and fell in love with it. There was a random street exhibit on the 16th street mall. It wasnice. Not packed like it would be here, but well attended and enjoyable. As soon as our lease is up, we'll be living there.

Hope this helped.
See ya in Denver

Old 05-26-2009, 11:25 PM

Ya I'm maybe thinking Denver.

Old 05-27-2009, 02:34 AM

2,756 posts, read 12,976,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderbomb82 View Post
Ya I'm maybe thinking Denver.
I live in Denver. I'm happy here, but I would point out that Colorado Springs has some good things going for it. For example, are you into climbing? Live on the west side of town and you can almost fall out of bed into great areas for climbing. In Denver? Well, Eldorado Springs is fantastic, but it will take you almost an hour to get there from Denver (it's actually closer to Boulder). In fact you have to go about an hour outside of Denver to get anywhere good.

Colorado Springs is just closer to the mountains than Denver is, and once you're there it's a lot less crowded. That's the plus. Of course this doesn't apply for downhill/resort style skiing, but other than that it's great.

Old 05-27-2009, 05:54 AM

51 posts, read 171,839 times
I am 35 but I am going to offer my opinion. I moved here from another area and I think that COS is a great place... for wildlife, outdoor activities and families. The bars here are okay but they are either a really young crowd (21 ish) or older crowd (40's). There are way too many chains and not a lot of "unique" places and the ones that are cool and different are more expensive. There are no nightclubs that are considered a real club (I can't actually think of ANY off the top of my head, but I am sure there are one or two ? ) I wish there was more cultural activities, not just territory days, which I found out is about 4 times a year but called something different each time. I have been here for 9 months and I haven't seen any fairs or festivals

As I said, I am in my 30's but a young 35. I am married, my daughter is in college and no other children. I am finding that women from 25-35 are married with young ones at home and their idea of fun isn't fun (for me at least), there are tons of children geared activities but that is all I am invited to. I work from home and the only thing I know about the job market is that my husband/daughter were laid off and found another job within a week. They are not "professional jobs", but they are jobs, so I don't see the whole "it's hard to find a job thing". It depends on what you want to do career wise.

As for going out, unless it's out to eat, there isn't a whole lot to do. There's "geeks who drink" which is cool but we are having problems finding places to go that aren't outdoor driven like skiing or hiking. It's a fantastic place to live for the military or families or outdoor enthusiasts. Check out the independent (newspaper) for things like film festivals, there was one about a month ago, but I personally wouldn't recommend someone your age staying in COS. I would go to Denver! If I hadn't gotten married, I never would have stayed here.

Old 05-27-2009, 07:58 AM

229 posts, read 750,788 times
I lived there as a single person in that age range and loved it (I'm back in Denver now). COS is way better for access to outdoor activities. Denver is obviously better for a bigger city life. I wouldn't say Denver is better - its more what you are into. Although downtown Colorado Springs is a little sleepy, I kinda grew fond of places like Jack Quinns and Phantom Canyon. The Ritz was ok for a brief period of my life.

Just don't expect Denver to be the land of non-chain bars/restaurants - everything that has success spawns another. Every city seems to be flooded with chains, that's just America. Wynkoop Brewery and Phantom Canyon are both enjoyable places - they're not a chain like TGI Fridays, but they're a chain.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs