Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-14-2009, 07:01 PM

7 posts, read 21,328 times

Advertisements

For those of you who have horses on your property, I'm wondering how much riding you get in during the winter-time? Also, are there any good trainers around that you know of that would be willing to come to one's property for lessons? If not, are there facilities which provide lessons in the area?

We are considering Black Forest as our #1 option so far if we do relocate. So far we've only boarded-out our horses, but if we DO relocate to the COS area, we plan to have them on our property. As far as discipline, my DH is mainly into English-- Jumping, Dressage, Eventing. We also REALLY enjoy trail riding.....are there many horse-friendly trails around?

THANKS!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2009, 09:14 AM

2,140 posts, read 6,466,691 times
Unfortunately, C-D does not have a large equestrian community. I'll give you my expereinces as a boarder, I've boarded in the Black Forest area for several years.

To be honest, an indoor arena is pretty necessary for a full winter riding season, depending on how hardy you are. Depending on where you are in Black Forest, the wind can be brutal, and it does get more snow than some of the other CoS areas.

If you have a trailer there are loads of places to ride, and if you event, there are cross-country course you can train on. For easy access to trails, I'd head up to Woodland Park/Divide for National and State Forests. For Black Forest there is dirt road riding, depending on your location.

As far as BF parks: El Paso County, Colorado - Parks (http://adm.elpasoco.com/Parks/Facilities.htm - broken link)

Douglas County has some nice Open Spaces close to BF: Douglas County, Colorado | Open Space | Map and Properties

Most of the bigger name/advanced trainers do not travel to private barns.

Old 06-17-2009, 10:47 PM

1,938 posts, read 7,122,984 times
I noticed that there is a group down in Metcalf Park at the arena several nights a week riding and barrel racing. Even in the winter time because Fountain winters aren't as bad as Black Forest. I know of a couple trail riding areas. I frequently see horses riding down through Fountain and on the Sante Fe Trail. I also see horses (groups of people) riding up in Park County of County Rd. 31, by Terryall. Unfortunately, there are a lot of atvers too. This past weekend I went camping down in Saguache Park and there was only one other group there with their horses. It was postcard perfect scenery with the rolling hills of green prairies, snow capped mountains, Saguache Creek and the numerous fishing spots, pines and aspens, and miles and miles trails. You could ride to Creed, Saguache, Gunnison, Dome Lakes, Lake City, or Del Norte. It was so beautiful, peaceful, and untouched by man. It was worth the drive to spend a couple days in pure Colorado before we move.

Old 08-04-2009, 09:48 AM

120 posts, read 371,511 times
Check out the Latigo Equestrian Center. It's in the Falcon/Black Forest area and has an indoor riding area.

Old 08-04-2009, 09:59 AM

2,437 posts, read 8,180,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lalahartma View Post
As far as BF parks: El Paso County, Colorado - Parks (http://adm.elpasoco.com/Parks/Facilities.htm - broken link)
Just know that the El Paso County trail rules state that equestrians must scrape their horse dung piles to the side of the trail so that others don't have to leap over them or ride through them.

El Paso County, Colorado - Parks
"It shall be unlawful for any person to allow any animal over which he or she is responsible for to defecate upon any park property without such excrement being removed and disposed of by the person in control of such animal. Equestrians shall scatter horse manure off parking and/or trail areas." [See C.R.S. 18-4-
511; C.R.S. 33-10-102(10); C.R.S. 25-13-105(1)(L)]

Old 08-04-2009, 11:26 AM

1,938 posts, read 7,122,984 times
I also love our rule about having horses on property...one acre per horse. With that being said, I have often seen property for sale that have .5 an acre, .3 of an acre, 1.5 acres and it is accompanied with "bring your horses!". You could only have half or a third of a horse on your land!! I thought it was funny...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs