Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2009, 01:02 PM

18 posts, read 45,742 times

Advertisements

I have been applying for job in Colorado Springs. I've even had an interview, but it seems companies are not wanting to hire unless I have plans to move.

I have been very honest and upfront and told them I am a single mom and would like to have have employment before moving, but had a company inform me they wouldn't do that for someone seeking and Administrative Assistant type of position.

I don't know what else I can do .... Any suggestions?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2009, 01:08 PM

6,824 posts, read 10,520,613 times
You don't have to tell them this stuff. If they offer the job, will you move? That's all they need to know!

Old 07-17-2009, 01:08 PM

1,938 posts, read 7,125,710 times
So many are looking for the same type of work, keep hunting!

Old 07-17-2009, 01:18 PM

Yeah, I keep on applying... I guess I could just tell them I plan on relocating.. and hope they don't say, well contact us once you are settled.. That wouldn't be cool.

Old 07-20-2009, 03:19 PM

Hmmm.. I got yet another reply stating they only hire locals.. I'm not discouraged, yet would I be totally insane to just move up there...? I don't like taking chances, but if companies are only going to hire locals, then I could be applying for a very long time.... I want to do the right thing, the logic thing, but want to move too... What would you do?

Old 07-20-2009, 03:31 PM

6,824 posts, read 10,520,613 times
Can you use a friend's address for the purpose of the resume - I don't see why they need to know anything about your residential status at all unless it would truly affect your ability to accept and/or do the job you are hired for.

Old 07-20-2009, 03:55 PM

26,214 posts, read 49,044,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldfields View Post
Hmmm.. I got yet another reply stating they only hire locals.. I'm not discouraged, yet would I be totally insane to just move up there...? I don't like taking chances, but if companies are only going to hire locals, then I could be applying for a very long time.... I want to do the right thing, the logic thing, but want to move too... What would you do?
Ain't no such thing as "fighting fair" in this world, so get yourself a cell phone number with area code 719 for COLO SPGS. Pay NO attention to people who tell you this is "not ethical." Hah! I've heard so many horror stories about how people are treated by their employers that all I can say is "do whatever works" and get that job. You need to "look local" then get up here for an interview.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 07-20-2009, 07:02 PM

52 posts, read 167,022 times
Default I'm with Mike

I agree with Mike. Get yourself a cell phone with a colorado # and if you can a post office box would probably help too. If you fully intend to move there if you get the job then it's not a lie anyways. You just need a chance!

Old 07-20-2009, 07:40 PM

5,610 posts, read 23,310,736 times
You could try that, but I don't think just a phone number is going to fool anyone. You need a local address--and a real address-- not a P.O. Box. It would be better to have a local address and a long distance phone number than a local phone number but out of state address. Especially in a place like Colorado Springs where you have people constantly moving in and out from all over the country.

What part of NM do you live in? I'm trying to move to Albuquerque myself, without too much luck so far... maybe we could swap phones & addresses.

Old 07-21-2009, 03:40 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,198,807 times
Do whatever it takes to get a job. The employment situation will only get worse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs