Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-27-2009, 12:25 PM

46 posts, read 164,988 times

Advertisements

My family is planning an RV driving trip in April.. It will go until we dont want to drive anymore (at least until june)...
We will be flying into Denver and we will be going to utah and arizona as well. We want to check out neighborhoods that we might be moving to (in colorado).

What things should we look for and where can we go to talk to people to get to know the area in the following places??

Where are some good places to Park this RV and be able to get out, walk around and enjoy Colorado...

What roads should we AVOID in mid April... which roads are closed for the season???

Outside Denver suggestions... (towns smaller than 15K)
fort collins
loveland
longmount
boulder
brighton
Parker
Castle Rock
Idaho Springs
Evergreen

Outside Colorado Springs (any other suggestions are fine too...)
Woodland Park
Palmer Lake
Black Forest
Broadmoor
Monument
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2009, 12:51 PM

2,886 posts, read 7,134,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA****4 View Post
. . .

Outside Denver suggestions... (towns smaller than 15K)
fort collins
loveland
longmount
boulder
brighton
Parker
Castle Rock
Idaho Springs
Evergreen. . .
FYI, of the cities/towns outside Denver you listed here, only Idaho Springs and Evergreen have populations smaller than 15000, and Boulder, Longmont, and Ft. Collins, for example, are all closer, more or less, to 100,000. . .

Old 07-29-2009, 05:01 AM

Thank you for that information.... I have all the populations listed already & I am not planning on moving INTO those locations but possibly a half hour outside of those cities so that I can be within reach of them but still have a country-feel. My post was just to get some suggestions as to which places to spend a lot of time in and which ones to by-pass. We have a lot of time in the RV but I dont want to check out places that just aren't worth checking out......
Does anyone have any PRO'S and CON'S about these places?

Thanks
Amanda from NY

Old 07-29-2009, 08:04 AM

1,938 posts, read 7,125,173 times
On the northern end of Denver, there is definitely country living in Greely and small towns like Johnston and Miliken. BUT, they are truly country living there and it smells like country living from all the farms. Loveland is near these areas so you will drive by these towns as you head to Loveland. Boulder's area is outrageously priced!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Idaho Springs is a small drive by town that is in the mountain, like Manitou. There isn't any acreage...its all mountain/rock. And due to its location (skiing) if you find a small little place expect to pay big bucks.
The areas you mentioned in your Denver selection is surprising because you mentioned in an earlier post that Falcon was out. Why would you choose those other areas and not look in Falcon?? They are the same. Anything on the foothills of the mountains is going to get more wind than as if you were butted up against the mountain. Just about everything you mentioned in the Denver is exactly what Falcon and other towns in COS is like (Fountain, Monument, Black Forest but with lots of evergreen trees, etc.) I really think you should look out in Falcon/Peyton too. I think it will fit your price and desires. But its just my humble opinion.

Keep in mind, the farther away from the mountains you get, the less expensive places become. Acreage with farms are typically out east. Mountain living with acreage comes a price because its what every American wants. If you want to venture out a good hour from the city, than your prices also drop (that's because no one wants to commute more than an hour to work). Also try using Real Estate, Homes for Sale & Real Estate Values - Zillow to look at homes/property around the entire state.

Old 08-04-2009, 09:01 AM

120 posts, read 371,641 times
Check out Falcon. It's about 12 miles east of Colorado Springs. Farther east has a number of small farm tracts (40 acres or less, zoned for horses). Woodmen Hills is the largest development and includes the commercial area (grocery, retail shops, banks, fast food, restaurants, hair/nail salons). Wal-Mart sits next to Woodmen Hills. Housing in all price ranges is available. Woodmen Hills has two rec centers, each with a pool. They have exercise equipment, programs and activities for kids. Open space trails run through the middle of it. We love it hear. We have 1/2 acre lot and great neighbors.

Old 08-21-2009, 11:01 AM

Thanks for all the information.
I think I've got it more narrowed down. I've been fed tons of information on
Palmer Lake
Black Forest
Monument

I'm still wondering if people can give me more information on these places....
Idaho Springs
Evergreen

Falcon
(from what I've heard its more windy and dusty in falcon compared to places closer to the hills... but then again it makes sense that they'd be just the same beacause the wind is coming down off the mountains....)

Tell me more about falcon area please and I'll start looking that up on google.

Old 08-21-2009, 05:37 PM

120 posts, read 371,641 times
Default Falcon

Falcon is an unincorporated area consisting of several planned communities -- Woodmen Hills is the largest and most developed. The commercial center of Falcon is part of Woodmen Hills. There is a shopping center anchored by Safeway grocery. The center has the usual shops -- pizza, nails, hair cut etc. South of that center are more shops--Walgreen's, Wal-Mart, car wash, several banks, a credit union, restaurants, and fast food places. A golf course is 10 minutes up the road. Woodmen Hills has two recreation centers with 3 pools (one is for little kids). They offer fitness programs, weight rooms, yoga and youth sports programs. The nice part about this area is that it as a rural feel because most of the lots are 1/2 acre or more and all the fencing is split rail. So it's easy to feel like you're out in the country, but shopping and services are within walking distance. Great school district. Fire ISO rating is 6, the same as in town. I'm not sure what else you would like to know, but please ask. I'll be happy to share what I know.

Old 08-22-2009, 06:46 AM

1,938 posts, read 7,125,173 times
Falcon has a combination of both residential neighborhoods with lots as small as .6 of an acre and then homes that sit on acreage. My gfs house is on 5 acres and I had a student whose home was on almost 10 acres. Lots of horses out there. More opportunities to get mtn views compared to in town. More snow days out there compared to other school districts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs