Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2009, 09:39 PM

69 posts, read 239,477 times

Advertisements

I have a potential job offer at a facility with an address of 2200ish Academy Place. Does anyone know that area?
Basically I am looking for info on this part of CS: safety, proximity to downtown, near bus route, in a bike friendly area, in a crappy part of town... Anything that would give me a better idea of whether I can live nearby. I don't drive so that is a huge factor. I have been to CS but only for a quick afternoon trip. I am a single 32 year old health care professional. I realize the social scene is not that of Denver but I figure it is easy enough to spend weekends in Denver and see what kind of trouble I can get into.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2009, 10:03 PM

6,807 posts, read 10,456,505 times
It is probably 5-7 miles from downtown, near a bus route, not a great area of town but if you are used to anything urban you'd probably find it okay. If you're not used to anything urban then I'd say you might not like it.

Old 08-07-2009, 10:12 PM

26,149 posts, read 48,824,756 times
Not bad. Gets a bit worse further south of there. Gets a bit nicer the further north you go. All in all, as a place to work it's fine. A good 4 miles from downtown area. Others will have to chime in on the bike-able nature, but I'd say it's iffy at best unless you're accomplished at sharing BUSY streets with cars. Not sure how you'd get to Denver and back on weekends w/o driving, hard to do, unless you take a late Friday FREX bus to Denver and an early Monday FREX bus back from Denver (2 hour trip each way).

Bus schedules and routes are found here. Line 25 runs north/south on Academy Blvd, the main drag and line 12 runs from east/west from downtown to about where the job is. Many buses here let you take your bike with you on the buses.

Though bus service isn't that great, between it and your bike you should be able to live in many parts of town.

I say Fear Not, take the job and come on out.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Last edited by Mike from back east; 08-08-2009 at 09:05 AM..

Old 08-07-2009, 10:31 PM

oh yeah i didn't realize that the FREX doesn't go on the weekends. Well that kinda takes the wind out my sails a bit. Maybe I can convince my employer to schedule me late on Monday morning, haha.

Old 08-11-2009, 09:57 AM

Mike,
Would you say the downtown area is safe and probably the best place for a single 30 year old guy to live? I did drive through with a friend and it seemed pretty nice, not run down or anything...

If anyone has any info on cycling from downtown to other areas that would be great too.

Thanks

Old 08-11-2009, 11:13 AM

It's safe, mostly minor stuff. Lots of cycling here.

Search on CRIME , CYCLING or other keywords to find the threads, or check the index of key threads.

Old 08-13-2009, 06:51 AM

565 posts, read 1,843,485 times
Pretty good location for opportunities to bike to work - look at google maps satellite view.

Just to the North-West about a 1/4 mile is Palmer Park with tons of trails to give you connections to a fair amount of locations around the park.

Just too the South about a 1/4 mile is a trail off of Constitution that you can go West all the way to I-25 (about 4 miles) or East all the way to Powers (Splits away from Constitution Road on the South for most of the way to Powers about 2 miles total). At I-25 there is the Santa-Fe trail going North-South that has underpasses at almost every road.

There is also a North-South trail running just to the East of Academy Place behind the neighborhoods. It keeps going North for about 2 miles to N. Carefree Circle and South for about 1.5 miles to Platte Avenue.

Old 08-13-2009, 10:21 AM

Thanks that is great info. I have low vision so driving is not an option. So, if I view apartments downtown, are there grocery stores and/or gyms nearby. If not, I can shoot for another area. This is tougher than I thought. Denver would be easy since public transport is great, but that is not in the cards for me. Thanks for everything!

Old 08-13-2009, 05:08 PM

6,807 posts, read 10,456,505 times
I can't think of a grocery store downtown. But there is a big YMCA right in the middle of it. If you are willing to ride a bike for groceries, there are grocery stores within 5 miles of downtown in pretty much all directions.

Old 08-13-2009, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by otowi View Post
I can't think of a grocery store downtown. But there is a big YMCA right in the middle of it. If you are willing to ride a bike for groceries, there are grocery stores within 5 miles of downtown in pretty much all directions.
There is a COSTCO going in on N. Nevada, above Fillmore, in the area now being heavily re-developed. Of course, biking home with a gallon jar of Mayo and case of green beans put a cyclist into a class above the norm.

EDIT: Hey now, there is a Safeway, on Wahsatch at Jackson St, 2 blocks east of St Francis-Penrose Hospital, and that is VERY close to downtown. It's in a 50-year old strip mall that cannot be seen from Nevada.

SECOND EDIT: I was down that way the other night, there are bike paths all over the place and Wahsatch is wide and slow moving enough to be safe for cyclists.

Last edited by Mike from back east; 08-15-2009 at 09:54 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs