Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2009, 09:46 PM

1,319 posts, read 4,241,506 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
So what. Phoenix nearly tripled in the same time period too, from 580k to 1.6M.
Dont get me started on Phoenix; I grew up there.
Phoenix is huge(land wise), the population is evenly spread out and traffic is only starting to get bad in a few spots.
Even so, Phoenix was a great place for a kid to grow up in the 60's and 70's.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2009, 10:15 PM

2,756 posts, read 12,972,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Rankin View Post
My opinion is that over time, it's inevitable that COS and DEN will grow together. If I was COS, I would start planning now to try and keep that from happening. If they took steps to limit development in the most northern portions of El Paso country, it may slow the process, and also provide for a [small] buffer.
They will grow closer together, but fortunately they will not grow together. Now that the Greenland Ranch property is open space, combined with the open space on spruce mountain -- there's not much more development that can be done in southern Douglas County, thank goodness. The small town of Larkspur may be able to grow slightly, but it also is constrained. Far to the east of I-25 there will be additional growth, in Elbert County. Castle Rock, too, will be able to build some more subdivisions to the extent that it can. But Douglas County is mostly done with rapid growth, I think, at least between County Line Road and the Southern extremities of Castle Rock.

Unfortunately, El Paso County hasn't taken any similar steps -- development has already encroached up to the county line, more's the pity on that. And, there's likely much more development to be done in that area.

Old 08-17-2009, 08:55 AM

2,140 posts, read 6,466,691 times
^^^ Good point! There will always be a bit of a buffer!

Old 08-17-2009, 09:12 AM

565 posts, read 1,847,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BennyPhoenix View Post
I travel to Colorado Springs about every year. I just got back from there and the growth seems to be accelerating. Traffic in some places was as bad as any I've seen in Los Angeles.
In 20 years is the area going to be overpopulated, congested, and smoggy like Denver?
I have never seen traffic in Colorado Springs like bad traffic in Los Angeles. I HAVE seen the "bad" traffic in Colorado Springs when there is an accident on the highway comparable to the best/fastest rush hour traffic in Los Angeles.

Old 08-17-2009, 09:16 AM

565 posts, read 1,847,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tfox View Post
They will grow closer together, but fortunately they will not grow together. Now that the Greenland Ranch property is open space, combined with the open space on spruce mountain -- there's not much more development that can be done in southern Douglas County, thank goodness. The small town of Larkspur may be able to grow slightly, but it also is constrained. Far to the east of I-25 there will be additional growth, in Elbert County. Castle Rock, too, will be able to build some more subdivisions to the extent that it can. But Douglas County is mostly done with rapid growth, I think, at least between County Line Road and the Southern extremities of Castle Rock.

Unfortunately, El Paso County hasn't taken any similar steps -- development has already encroached up to the county line, more's the pity on that. And, there's likely much more development to be done in that area.
Fort Carson makes a huge buffer between Pueblo and Colorado Springs. The land East of Ft. Carson is very flat and bland and there is a bottleneck created by the CS Airport and Ft. Carson. Development has always been very slow in that area compared to Northern Colorado Springs.

Planners have estimated that in 10-20 years the Woodman road and Powers intersection/overpass will be the new "center" of Colorado Springs with population spread evenly on all sides.

Old 08-17-2009, 02:18 PM

12,262 posts, read 24,452,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reginhild View Post
Fort Carson makes a huge buffer between Pueblo and Colorado Springs. The land East of Ft. Carson is very flat and bland and there is a bottleneck created by the CS Airport and Ft. Carson. Development has always been very slow in that area compared to Northern Colorado Springs.

Planners have estimated that in 10-20 years the Woodman road and Powers intersection/overpass will be the new "center" of Colorado Springs with population spread evenly on all sides.
Fort Carson is only a buffer on the west side. Not the east and the airport has no affect on that. Have you heard of Pueblo Springs Ranch? It will bring Pueblo to the El Paso County line and Fountain already is annexed down to the race track. Its up in the air as to who will annex the land south of there, Fountain or Pueblo but it could go in either direction. Either way I predict that in the next decade Pueblo and Colorado Springs are one big city.

Old 08-17-2009, 04:45 PM

6,813 posts, read 10,510,104 times
Water is an issue that may prevent expansion between Pueblo and the Springs.

Old 08-17-2009, 05:15 PM

12,262 posts, read 24,452,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otowi View Post
Water is an issue that may prevent expansion between Pueblo and the Springs.
I do not know Fountain's water situation but Pueblo has more then enough and once we annex the land it will being the city of Pueblo right to the El Paso county line. I have even heard that in time Pueblo will extend into El Paso county as it makes more sense for the developments south of the race track to let Pueblo annex them because Pueblo does have more water and resources then Fountain.

Old 08-17-2009, 08:00 PM

1,627 posts, read 4,217,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josseppie View Post
Fort Carson is only a buffer on the west side. Not the east and the airport has no affect on that. Have you heard of Pueblo Springs Ranch? It will bring Pueblo to the El Paso County line and Fountain already is annexed down to the race track. Its up in the air as to who will annex the land south of there, Fountain or Pueblo but it could go in either direction. Either way I predict that in the next decade Pueblo and Colorado Springs are one big city.
Ick. I hope not. In California, the Inland Empire is made up of a sea of cookie cutter houses, industrial warehouses and low density (typically corporate driven) commercial blocks. There is scarcely any "green" space (it is Mojave Desert out there), and there are a good number of people who live there and commute into Los Angeles...probably not even a majority, but enough to back up I-10 every morning and evening for several hours (anywhere from 3PM to 9PM is a bad time to be on the highway.)

That is exactly what I would see happening if the two cities merged together by gobbling up the land in between. I'd rather they grew up and in than sprawling out. Even then, what's the benefit of constantly growing in population? Why not just work on quality over quantity? Personally, I'm willing to pay more taxes to live in a city that's well managed with a higher quality of life than one where the only way I could afford to live is to buy a home on the outskirts of town and commute in every day...and even that's often an *illusion* of being less expensive because it doesn't take into account the cost of distance and maintaining a larger home.

I'll never see the point of everyone moving to the edge of the city for it's low costs and great views when it only attracts more people to move into the ring outside of THEM, spoiling their property values and their view...and that's just the cosmetic aspect of it. We American's have not excelled at living responsibly.

I hope Springs and Pueblo can continue to improve what makes their cities attractive without sacrificing the things around them that make their cities attractive.

Old 08-17-2009, 08:07 PM

1,627 posts, read 4,217,084 times
I just want to add, how much more interesting would it be (and maybe this is just a personal opinion that many disagree with) to hop on a train and cruise down the Front Range to do business or pleasure in one of the other small but well developed cities. There would be beautiful open western range and mountains to see in between, and then great cities with their own unique character and contributions to Colorado's culture, community and economy at each stop. (Not to mention the added benefit to the region from Cheyenne to El Paso if such a thing came to pass.)

I don't want Denver to become L.A. or New York...I want it to be Denver. That's what I like about it. Not too big, not too small. It's got it's warts, but it's got some great things unique to it as a city. Colorado Springs residents should continue to make their city a better city (as should Pueblo) and not a bigger one.

I think sometimes it's okay to be a small city, as long as you're a good city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs