Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2009, 12:40 PM

1,836 posts, read 3,166,868 times

Advertisements

My husband just called me from home and said there is a lot of smoke and fire smell in the area (we are on the Palmer Divide about 10 miles east of Palmer Lake). We are wondering if there is a fire in the area, or maybe just smoke drifting from the Nucla fire? Don't want to bug the fire department about it so I thought maybe someone on the forum would know something.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2009, 12:47 PM

2,437 posts, read 8,183,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beezle1 View Post
My husband just called me from home and said there is a lot of smoke and fire smell in the area (we are on the Palmer Divide about 10 miles east of Palmer Lake). We are wondering if there is a fire in the area, or maybe just smoke drifting from the Nucla fire? Don't want to bug the fire department about it so I thought maybe someone on the forum would know something.
I just opened my window and now smell it too... (from Palmer Lake lake)
I'll look into it...

update: my friend who is a volunteer fireman says he knows of no local burns and that it is likely wafting out hear from the LA area fires.

Old 08-31-2009, 12:56 PM

Found this on the KRDO website....

Guest I spoke with the Tri-Lakes Fire Dept. They advised there are no fires in the area-- That it's the the high winds carrying smoke from wild fires out of state[SIZE=2][/SIZE]
[SIZE=2][/SIZE]

Old 08-31-2009, 03:48 PM

6,824 posts, read 10,518,651 times
It's coming from California!

Old 08-31-2009, 03:55 PM

598 posts, read 1,546,793 times
I smell it here at the Academy too. Wow...if there are no burns around here, that's a lot of smoke comin' our way from California.

Old 08-31-2009, 03:56 PM

6,824 posts, read 10,518,651 times
KRDO 13 said its California and also some fires in Utah. Nuts, huh? This happened before a few years ago when they had really big fires in CA.

Old 08-31-2009, 04:29 PM

2,075 posts, read 5,122,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otowi View Post
It's coming from California!
There is a fire in western Colorado near Nucla and two in Utah. We'll be getting the CA smoke in a few days.
It has been very thick and smoky smelling here all day long.
Our winds have been from the SW.

Old 08-31-2009, 04:35 PM

Thanks everyone for the updates. I kind of freak out when we smell smoke and cannot see where its coming from, and there is nothing in the news about local fires - living in the woods, no fire hydrants, and horses and pets to evacuate!

Old 08-31-2009, 04:44 PM

2,886 posts, read 7,134,871 times
All of Colorado is apparently affected. There's a good article in the Denver Post about it:

Colorado's hazy skies courtesy of California wildfires
Quote:
The smoke over Colorado — which has made the mountains west of Denver invisible from downtown Denver — has come directly from the massive 85,000-acre wildfire in Southern California, according to the National Weather Service.

Although Denverites could barely see the gray outlines of the foothills immediately west of Golden and Lakewood this afternoon, the higher mountains had disappeared in a dirty white haze.

Norv Larson, a meteorologist with the National Weather Service in Grand Junction, said a high-pressure system on the Arizona-New Mexico border has caused an airflow that is carrying the smoke in an easterly direction.

"Looking at satellite trajectories, we can follow it all the way back to California," said Larson. "There is a long line of smoke. These fires are so large and burning so hot, they're generating their own weather and lofting smoke thousands of feet into the atmosphere."
. . .

Old 08-31-2009, 05:01 PM

2,075 posts, read 5,122,918 times
Beezle1 I can totally relate to your post. When I opened the windows this morning and smelled smoke I got that awful feeling in the pit of my stomach! I called our local fire station to check and make sure there were no fires in the area.
Thanks for the article Suzco!
Interesting that the Post says it is coming directly from California when our local news says it is not (at least not on 9news at 4:00). I think I'll believe a meteorologist with the National Weather Service. (update: later in the broadcast they are saying some is from the CA fires).
We get smoke haze just about every year from fires in CA but we usually can't SMELL it so that's got to be from the Nucla fire. I have a headache from the smell, it's been really bad today.

Last edited by Neditate; 08-31-2009 at 05:13 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs