Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2012, 10:04 PM

2,957 posts, read 8,375,512 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
I say, since everyone is so "if they can't afford to live here, let em go elsewhere"...how about we all subsidize just one last bus ride for the poor. A greyhound bus ticket, one way, to anywhere but here. Then all o' them filthy poor and old and disabled folks you don't want as your budget-sucking neighbors can get outta here and we can renovate their low-rent apartments into luxury condos. Live it up!!
I'd contribute to that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2012, 02:21 PM

930 posts, read 1,654,391 times
The most compelling fact about FREX for me was that Denver has never pitched in to sustain the program. Why should they care if people go up to Denver from the Springs? For that reason it always bugged me.

Old 06-21-2012, 02:56 PM

727 posts, read 1,366,058 times
Back in NoVA, when I was commuting about the same distance to DC, there were basically five options (six, if you consider slugging, i.e., lining up at pickup points to catch a free ride with single drivers to allow use of the HOV lanes): 1) drive yourself; 2) carpool; 3) commercial van pool; 4) commercial bus; 5) commuter train.

At that time, about four years ago, the cost was roughly the same for each method: about $200 or so a month, give or take. I opted for the vanpool. For 6-7 people, the $200/each covered the van payment, the gas and maintenance, insurance, etc., as well as profit for the van owner.

To my knowledge, the bus service was purely a commercial venture, with no municipal ownership or subsidies. Since they were in business for many years, presumably they made enough profit to get by without outside assistance.

The commuter train was a conventional rail line (not special built light rail). The various municipalities and counties on the line were expected to kick in some subsidy to pay for parking lots, stations, and the service itself. Some did; some didn't, and it was a source of a lot of acrimony, similar to what I've noted on this thread re:FREX. The difference here is that the rail line carried thousands of patrons each day (the trains were standing room only on every run). They really did take a lot of cars off the roads which, if you weren't on the road by 5:00AM, you were going to be in horrible stop and go traffic for 25 miles or so.

When I moved here, and learned about the FREX line, I was astounded at the taxpayer subsidy cost vs actual ridership numbers. It simply doesn't add up, especially when other municipalities on the line don't ante up anything to help defray the costs. Plus, unlike municipal buses, I recently read that the average income of a FREX rider is $72K/year (though I'm sure there are some whose income is much less, which means some have lots more). Bottom line, as it currently exists, it is completely unsustainable and can't even be justified by any objective measure. The only alternative I see is to privatize it and charge riders enough to cover the costs and profit for the operator. On this issue (God forgive me), I actually agree with Bob.

Old 06-23-2012, 07:30 AM

2,646 posts, read 1,845,592 times
Here is an article, you may have seen in the CS Independent.

Last edited by Mike from back east; 06-23-2012 at 11:53 AM.. Reason: Fixing broken link.

Old 08-20-2012, 07:46 AM

Default FREX (Front Range Express)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
The Mayor just killed FREX, that bus service will end at the end of August.
Just knowing that we had an alternate way on I-25, was great. I was hoping the mayor would have a change of heart; guess not. Will CDOT come up with a plan, take over FREX?

Thanks to the great bus drivers!!! You will be missed!!!!

Old 09-03-2012, 06:26 AM

Default FREX (Front Range Express)

FREX gone for now.

Old 12-13-2012, 09:55 PM

44 posts, read 100,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Postal View Post
Let's caveat this with people who chose to live 10+ miles away without being able to provide for a means to get there.

My guess is that the effect would be barely, if at all, noticeable. Rarely do a see a bus with more than 1 or 2 people on it. Not trying to start a slap fight here, just an observation.

Rarely do you see a bus with more than one or two people on it? Do you actually ride the bus?

Old 12-13-2012, 10:00 PM

44 posts, read 100,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanek9freak View Post
Colorado Springs is a conservative, "Take care of yourself" type city, and I'm grateful for the lack of government intrusion.

Yeah and you conservatives whine and complain when they have to cut something in the city that affects YOU because there isn't enough money.

Old 12-15-2012, 10:47 AM

3,490 posts, read 6,098,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanek9freak View Post
I'd contribute to that.
Sadly, I'd contribute to this also. Not because I'm a mean person, but because economically it would make sense for the city.

Frex died because it wasn't providing a service that could pay for itself. If someone threatens to leave, so be it.

Old 12-28-2012, 04:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurtsman View Post

Frex died because it wasn't providing a service that could pay for itself. If someone threatens to leave, so be it.
FREX was so great! Really think it could have made a huge difference, if the route would have included Pueblo and Ft Collins. The buses were an alternative to driving and road rage. What's up with leaders making choices that do not make sense. IMHO. (Also, it created jobs and more.)

Thought the contract was to be through 2013; what happened to that? Used to love to park my car and jump on board FREX! Greatly missed. The drivers were great; I just sat back and relaxed and was in Denver in no time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs