U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2008, 09:29 PM

110 posts, read 280,912 times

Advertisements

Here's a thread for all you bakers and cooks out there. I just baked my normally awesome chocolate chip/peanut butter chip cookies, except, they weren't so awesome. In fact they were disgusting. I had to throw them out, and I couldn't even get them off the pan. One pan is still soaking in the kitchen sink to get the "cookies" off. The sugar carmelized into a giant melded mass of ick. What happened? Does the altitude mess with anyone's baking, or am I just losing my flour-thumb?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2008, 11:38 PM

11,715 posts, read 38,768,291 times
High Altitude Baking

First link that came up in Google. Looks like a good place to start.

Old 10-11-2008, 10:12 AM

2,957 posts, read 7,994,381 times
The altutude shouldn't affect the mixture, just the baking time. I haven't had a problem yet since i've moved from Ohio.

Old 10-11-2008, 10:47 AM

24,373 posts, read 45,217,150 times
Cookies usually turn out okay here. However, my Zojorushi bread machine that did so well at sea level baked bread that could've been used for landscape pavers. I did all the tweaks in the users manual for high altitude as well as the Colorado Extension Service but NOTHING would make that machine produce my favorite "al dente whole wheat" bread. So I sold on ebay to a gal in PA who says it makes great bread. Now, I get whole wheat from Great Harvest Bread Co near Soopers at Woodmen/Academy.

Old 10-11-2008, 03:58 PM

3,135 posts, read 11,015,350 times
If you read the back of a box of Brownies, it will usually have you add more ingrediants for high altitude and adjust the temperature/time. This is all I bake, so I'm sorry I can't help you lol

Google is your friend

http://www.ochef.com/327.htm

Old 10-12-2008, 07:11 AM

51 posts, read 162,612 times
This may have answered my own question on why all my recipes taste yucky here in cos versus in MA or MI where I previously moved from. I can't cook a meal to save my life! I just thought it took longer to cook and I didn't realize the altitude affected the ingredients..... sigh.... I need a high altitude cook book now

Old 10-12-2008, 07:15 AM
Status: "No, I don’t want an app for that." (set 25 days ago)

45,384 posts, read 56,708,947 times
Did you accidentally buy some of that sugar that has a filler in it? That was the culprit when this happened to me.

Old 10-12-2008, 07:28 AM

3,645 posts, read 10,533,671 times
I found some of the same problems when baking my usual menagerie of Christmas cookies last year. They were flat and hard. Yuk! I have been playing with various high altitude tips all year, so I can be ready. The link someone posted is a link to buy a cookbook - eventually, I may break down and buy it, but until then the tips that have helped (though not completely solved the problems)

Use high altitude flour
Turn the temp on your oven up 15 degrees.
after measuring out the sugar, remove a TBSP or two

Good luck!

The problems baking cookies and breads in high altitude stem from issues with the lack of air density, cooking temperatures and use of baking soda and/or powder.

Old 10-12-2008, 07:35 AM

1,312 posts, read 7,568,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redsoxgurl View Post
This may have answered my own question on why all my recipes taste yucky here in cos versus in MA or MI where I previously moved from. I can't cook a meal to save my life! I just thought it took longer to cook and I didn't realize the altitude affected the ingredients..... sigh.... I need a high altitude cook book now
Other than baking, your normal recipes should be fine.

I've been making recipes that are not labeled "high altitude" all of my adult life. In fact, I can't think of anytime a recipe of mine failed that I got from a friend in Houston or Florida or Mass. I suck at baking so I don't even try it but normal cooking (not a science like baking) always turns out well.

Old 10-12-2008, 07:38 AM

51 posts, read 162,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by COflower View Post
Other than baking, your normal recipes should be fine.

I've been making recipes that are not labeled "high altitude" all of my adult life. In fact, I can't think of anytime a recipe of mine failed that I got from a friend in Houston or Florida or Mass. I suck at baking so I don't even try it but normal cooking (not a science like baking) always turns out well.

hmmm... then maybe I lost my touch lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs