Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2008, 08:32 PM

1,809 posts, read 3,191,080 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanek9freak View Post
whatever dude. I'll take my Jeep over anything. You'd be wishing for a CJ if you were stranded on a mountain pass. I guess if you never go to the mountains, then yes, a FWD car will do.
I take my Ford Focus into the mountains weekly to go skiing. Today I made my way up a snow covered Hoosier Pass. In December I drove across i-70 in a blizzard. I put a set of Michelin Hydroedge tires on my car back in October, I've yet to have a problem in the snow.

The only downside I see to the smaller cars is less distance between the bottom of the car and the ground. It does take less amount of snow to get stuck. But if it is snowing so bad that a car will get stuck, why be out driving in the first place?

Besides, every winter it's always the 4WD SUV's you see sitting spun out in a ditch. Any tow truck driver will tell you that SUV's are their biggest customer in the winter.

To the OP: a FWD car with good winter tires will work if you are trying to keep the cost of a car to a minimum.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2008, 04:43 AM

11 posts, read 55,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
How do the Bridgestone Blizzaks or Michelin Ice tires compare to Winterforce tires, anyone know?

Do studded tires make that much difference in ice fog or frozen rain, that is, when the ice is really thin like a glaze? I experienced this a couple of times. It seems like there would be nothing to "dig" into using studs. It seems studs would only work if the snow or ice was at least a quarter inch thick but I don't know, I have never driven with studded tires.
Studded tires are for ice. You can't drive them around when it's dry, so you have to put them on when it's icy. Chains are no more trouble to install and cost a lot less.

Old 02-11-2008, 05:30 AM

2,957 posts, read 8,375,512 times
I'm prepared to NEVER EVER get stuck. My CJ is lifted 6 inches with 35 inch tires, and a 9000lb warn winch. I also carry shovels, a pick axe, chains, straps, an emergency kit, etc. You can never be too careful out there. I can't tell you how man times i've had to rescue some dumb tourist in their CR-V that thinks they can make it over a 12000 ft pass in september. If I didn't have my jeep, i'd at LEAST drive a Subaru.

Old 02-11-2008, 07:03 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,748,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John.Bishop14 View Post
Studded tires are for ice. You can't drive them around when it's dry, so you have to put them on when it's icy. Chains are no more trouble to install and cost a lot less.
I know, but my question relates specifically to the glazed road conditions (freezing rain or ice fog), those where the layer of ice is so thin a stud wouldn't have anything to dig into. The reason I am asking is because I drove through Falcon several weeks ago about 530 AM and the road was so slick I would slide by barely touching my brakes at like 10-15 mph. I turned around an went home. Would studs have helped? I can't see how they would have.

With studded tires, would anyone do anything other than put them on for a whole season and take them off in spring? I can't imagine people would change out tires on a daily basis depending on that day's ice conditions.

Old 02-11-2008, 07:33 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,194,526 times
You can't drive studded tires on dry roads. It tears up the road and wears the studs down in no time. They are only for ice. If you want to leave them on get aggressive tread non-studded winter tires. They will wear fast and hum like a buzz saw but they won't tear up the pavement when it's dry.

Old 02-11-2008, 07:42 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,748,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
You can't drive studded tires on dry roads. It tears up the road and wears the studs down in no time. They are only for ice. If you want to leave them on get aggressive tread non-studded winter tires. They will wear fast and hum like a buzz saw but they won't tear up the pavement when it's dry.
So ice is on the roads maybe three hours a week on average on the front range. I guess that means studs don't last too long in Colorado.

Old 02-11-2008, 08:13 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,194,526 times
Colorado State Patrol (broken link)

Colorado says it's OK with them to run studded tires year round (see link), so if you don't mind the hum and wear go for it!

Last edited by Mike from back east; 02-11-2008 at 05:50 PM..

Old 02-11-2008, 04:41 PM

you'd wear them down to nothing really fast though on dry pavement. Honestly, I think they're a waste. If you're that hard up, go for tire chains

Old 02-11-2008, 09:14 PM

19 posts, read 72,101 times
Unless you live in the mountains or travel up there frequently, it won't matter what kind of car you have as long as it has decent tires on it.
winter tires might be necessary if you have a rwd car, otherwise you will be fine with a good allseason tire. Its not like cos gets that much snow anyway...

Old 02-12-2008, 05:00 AM

no no no, there's no such thing as "an all season tire" It's a comprimise tire. If you want snow traction, you need a dedicated snow tire. Trust me, i've been selling tires for over 10 years, i've seen it all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs