Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2010, 03:29 PM

60 posts, read 315,420 times

Advertisements

Being a relocated New Englander via California I've had a hankering for some good ol’ fried clams. Does anyone out there have any suggestions? Here in landlocked Colorado we don’t have much of a choice of good coastal seafood. I’d even settle for some great fish and chips if I could be pointed to the best place in town, I’ve tried several places that were only mediocre.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2010, 01:10 PM

132 posts, read 673,573 times
Well, you can sometimes get fresh clams from Costco, and pick up one of those small fryers

Having spent most of my life on the East and West coasts, I feel your pain about the lack of good Fried Clams.

Old 03-08-2010, 05:02 PM

Default New England Fried Clams

I'm aware I can make them at home but my real question was if there was a restaurant that serves them nearby in COS. I remember Red Robin served them at one time and I heard Red Lobster did or still does. Maybe some place in Denver does? I don’t know any help is appreciated. Gorton’s sells them frozen at Safeway but they are made from minced clams and taste horrible. Nothing beats what you can buy fresh fried on the eastern seaboard.

Old 03-11-2010, 11:02 AM

38 posts, read 186,279 times
I don't know how good these are, as I haven't had them, but Oscar's (http://www.oscarstejonstreet.com/menu.html - broken link) serves fried oysters, as well as shrimp, po-boy's, etc. Sundays they have live music, and good beer specials. I've also had the fish and chips at Tony's and was really impressed. The fish had a nice thick crunchy batter, and was super moist and flaky inside. Hope this helps!

Old 03-12-2010, 08:12 PM

1,453 posts, read 1,856,519 times
Been here since 1979, and have never stopped missing fried clams, clam rolls, whole belly clams, etc. etc. I've never found anything here like you can get back east ... but if you ever do, please make sure you let us know!

Old 03-23-2010, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barshney View Post
I don't know how good these are, as I haven't had them, but Oscar's (http://www.oscarstejonstreet.com/menu.html - broken link) serves fried oysters, as well as shrimp, po-boy's, etc. Sundays they have live music, and good beer specials. I've also had the fish and chips at Tony's and was really impressed. The fish had a nice thick crunchy batter, and was super moist and flaky inside. Hope this helps!
Thanks for the tip "Barshney"; I've wanted to try Oscars for some time, I'll have to get down there some weekend. Now as far as fried clams I hear "Mtngigi" Yorkshire Fish n Chips in Denver on Pecos has some on the menu along side with some great looking fish n chips which I am fond of also. Another recommended fish and chips joint is GB Fish n Chips near D.U. Now said that I haven't had a chance to witness the menu myself and test the food, although it will be on my list of do's this spring. A note: GB’s serves beer where Yorkshire is dry.

Old 03-31-2010, 01:51 PM

553 posts, read 1,635,307 times
I, too, would give my eye teeth for a good clam roll. Sadly, I haven't found a local place with quality fried clams.

However, I had a wonderful bowl of garlic-steamed clams at Rocco's (Academy and Maizemand, by Steaksmith) last weekend. I don't think it's a permanent item on the menu, and I'm not really sure how often it shows up as an appetizer special, but they were delicious and plentiful.

Old 04-07-2010, 10:33 AM

Default Rocco's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maynerd View Post
I, too, would give my eye teeth for a good clam roll. Sadly, I haven't found a local place with quality fried clams.

However, I had a wonderful bowl of garlic-steamed clams at Rocco's (Academy and Maizemand, by Steaksmith) last weekend. I don't think it's a permanent item on the menu, and I'm not really sure how often it shows up as an appetizer special, but they were delicious and plentiful.
I've wanted to try Rocco's for some time I've heard they have pretty good Italian. Now, on the fried clam subject I found a place in Denver called Yorkshire Fish and Chips on Pecos off Hwy 36. I tried the fish and chips which were pretty good and a very good portion. They also have fried clams but for some reason I stuck to the fish on the trip. I plan on going up again soon to try the clams.

If you would like to see some reviews on the place you can find them on Yelp.com.

Old 04-07-2010, 01:13 PM

553 posts, read 1,635,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joebondoe View Post
I've wanted to try Rocco's for some time I've heard they have pretty good Italian.
They do. Kinda home-style Italian, not high-end stuff. Lasagna and Manicoti and such. Canolis for desert. Give it a try. I think they're much better than the Italian chain restaurants, like Macaroni Grill and Carrabas and such. Of course, I'll almost always prefer a Mom-and-Pop restaurant to a chain.

Another one to try is Paravicinnis in Old COlorado City. A little more top end than Rocco's, but also a bit pricier. Both are worth the trip.

Old 04-13-2010, 01:30 PM

1,453 posts, read 1,856,519 times
Default Fried Clams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joebondoe View Post
Being a relocated New Englander via California I've had a hankering for some good ol’ fried clams. Does anyone out there have any suggestions? Here in landlocked Colorado we don’t have much of a choice of good coastal seafood. I’d even settle for some great fish and chips if I could be pointed to the best place in town, I’ve tried several places that were only mediocre.
Also wanted to mention Paravacini's in Old Colorado City. They have a really yummy clam appetizer - small Mahogony clams steamed with herbs and garlic and olive ... haven't been in awhile, but I assume they still have them. Very tasty.

Of course it's not the same as a good clam roll, but good nonetheless.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs