Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2010, 03:13 PM
SYS

339 posts, read 1,168,048 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by esanjays View Post
There are no really good authentic Chinese restaurants in COS. We drive to the dim sum places and restaurants in Denver. I've tried PF Changs, Silverpond & Empire Buffet. Pretty much Americanized Chinese food.
I agree. There's no authentic Chinese food in COS. All pretty much "Panda Express" with Silver Pond being one of the better ones in town. Ate once at PF Chang, and that was more than enough! They think throwing in a heap of salt and soy sauce into your food is going to make it a Chinese food.... Had to drink about a gallon of water to neutralize so much salt out my system...

When I was living in Berkeley, CA, I used to patronize the Oakland Chinatown for real authentic Chinese food rather than the S.F. Chinatown. Even between those two nearby cities, the food is quite different. In fact, all menus in the Oakland Chinese restaurants are written in Chinese with no English translation! I only went there with my then Chinese-American girlfriend. No forks, either, only chopsticks or your fingers.

The Chinatown in Boston had some great restaurants, too. The Chinese seafood restaurant there was my favorite. People were always found lined up outside the restaurant for dinner even as early as 4 p.m. All the food looked so unfamiliar that I had to just look around and ordered what someone else was having that looked really interesting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2010, 01:18 PM

17 posts, read 55,481 times
The best Chinese food we've found is at Chopsticks asian bistro. Excellent Chinese food! Very nice decor, white tablecloths, great wait help. They are just off of 115. You will find many, many repeat customers! Friendly owners as well. We just LOVE this place!! Save your time and money and stop going to all those chain restaurants. ugh!

Their info:
120 East Cheyenne Mountain Boulevard
Colorado Springs, CO 80906-3718
(719) 579-9111

Here is their website: Chopsticks Asian Bistro for Dining in Colorado Springs

After you find Chopsticks, return another time and go to Walter's Bistro. Another fine dining establishment!

Enjoy!!

Old 06-27-2010, 09:01 PM

26,116 posts, read 48,720,528 times
Today we tried the Dragon Wok and found it good enough to go back. My standard reference meal is Shrimp Fried Rice and their's is the best I've had since we moved here 5 years ago. Lots of plump, bright orange shrimp with very good flavor, and lots of it. Wife liked her General Tsu's chicken.

It almost counts as a hole in the wall kind of place, tiny front area with only 3 or 4 tables, else it's all kitchen. Located on Union, a step north of Woodmen, in a strip mall that faces Gold's Gym (which used to be a Safeway). Extensive menu. Delivery w/in 3 miles.

A neighbor recommends the Mandarin Bistro, on Briargate Blvd, just below Chapel Hills Drive. A tiny storefront place that also says it prepares Thai food. Anyone been there?
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 06-27-2010, 10:09 PM

55 posts, read 119,882 times
Default hk food

i've got hk heritage and i do not waste my money on chinese food in this town.

i save the money in a pot and head to denver.

star kitchen for dim sum/dinner
hk bbq for noodles, porridge, cheap dinner
jj's or star kitchen for midnight chinese food cravings
pacific ocean market for groceries, bbq pig, roast pig
viet hoa for groceries
celestial bakery for chinese bakery items

and the best part all in one general area around s. federal, w. alameda, w. mississippi roads. the area is also big for Vietnamese cuisine, but i do not drive that far for Viet. foods.

Old 06-27-2010, 10:17 PM

70 posts, read 226,654 times
My wife's cooking, she's Asian.

Old 06-27-2010, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vfrpilot View Post
I've been to rural mainland China and I'll take 'Americanized Chinese food' anyday over 'Chinesed Chinese food'. I was never so hungry for a Big Mac and Mexican food. And I'm Asian.

sounds like you're missing out. most authentic chinese food in america is not ruralized chinese food, but instead cuisine from the densest city in the world. but don't worry there's mcdoo's and your Big Mac if you ever goto hk.

Old 06-28-2010, 11:21 AM

50,169 posts, read 23,808,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SYS View Post
I agree. There's no authentic Chinese food in COS.
Glad to hear there's no authentic Chinese food in COS!

I lived in Thailand for a year, and had some not so fun experiences with authentic Chinese food -- chicken beaks and combs and feet mixed right into the stir fry. No thank you!

I also knew someone who backpacked through parts of interior China. Each night he would order three Chinese dishes at wherever he was eating. Out of the three dishes he would usually find one edible.

Thank goodness for Americanized Chinese food!

Old 06-28-2010, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Glad to hear there's no authentic Chinese food in COS!

I lived in Thailand for a year, and had some not so fun experiences with authentic Chinese food -- chicken beaks and combs and feet mixed right into the stir fry. No thank you!

I also knew someone who backpacked through parts of interior China. Each night he would order three Chinese dishes at wherever he was eating. Out of the three dishes he would usually find one edible.

Thank goodness for Americanized Chinese food!

i dont' see what the problem is with having choice though. i don't see why you hating so much on it. first of all, we don't just eat beaks and bones; there is legitimately amazing stuff that people that are naive with your attitude will never experience. second of all, even if you didn't like it isn't it okay to encourage diversity of food and restaurants even if you're not a customer? wouldn't an ideal place be where you can get both americanized and the real deal?

Old 06-28-2010, 01:11 PM

50,169 posts, read 23,808,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by echo98 View Post
i dont' see what the problem is with having choice though. i don't see why you hating so much on it. first of all, we don't just eat beaks and bones; there is legitimately amazing stuff that people that are naive with your attitude will never experience. second of all, even if you didn't like it isn't it okay to encourage diversity of food and restaurants even if you're not a customer? wouldn't an ideal place be where you can get both americanized and the real deal?
Don't be silly. If you want beaks and combs and chicken claws in your stir fry, you're welcome to it. Munch your way to heaven. If you want cobra meat in your stir fry, you're welcome to it. If you want deep fried cockroaches as a snack, you're welcome to it. But just as you state your opinion of how you would like Chinese food to be, I'm saying how I like Chinese food to be. Most Americans who say they want "authentic" Chinese (or Thai) food, really have no idea what authentic Chinese (or Thai) food really is. I've eaten in expensive, moderate, and low class Thai restaurants in Bangkok and provincial capitals. And I've eaten on the street in Thai hamlets that don't even have a formal restaurant. And trust me, most Americans don't want "authentic" Thai food. I've been in wet markets in Thailand. And trust me, most Americans don't want "authentic" Thai meats that have hung out in the heat for hours or days. There's a wonderful Thai beef dish that "authentically" lays out in the hot sun for hours; I've seen dogs walking by and licking the beef that is then served to customers...that's authentic! Do you use a refrigerator and freezer in your house? Well, I've been in authentic Asian restaurants where they don't.

Thailand has one of the highest rates of bacterial food poisoning in the world. I guess that's authentic, however. Cipro and related antibiotics are over the counter in Thailand...and they're hot sellers...for food poisoning. One day I bought some pork and decided it had spoiled. My Thai flat mate said, "We'll give it to the maid." Now, that's authentic.

So I guess the question is what do you mean by "authentic". If you mean in terms of ingredients...okay. If you mean in terms of food hygiene in the third world...well, that's part of being authentic, and no thank you. But I don't see anyone in Albertsons asking for chicken beaks, claws, and combs.

Old 06-28-2010, 01:31 PM

26,116 posts, read 48,720,528 times
I understand what Phetaroi is saying, and agree that I don't want too much "authenticity" in the foreign dishes I eat. That goes for some domestic dishes as well, like the chitterlings (aka chitlins) that many black Americans used to eat and some still do. Nor do I care for eating tripe, which the Mexicans refer to as Menudo, etc.

I hope that nobody misunderstands any comments; no one is 'bashing' other nations and their cultures, we simply enjoy our versions.

Now, lets get back to Chinese eateries here in COLO SPGS.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs