Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-15-2010, 12:37 PM

39 posts, read 167,106 times

Advertisements

I'm looking for some opinions/advice on the UCCS ALP program for those that are familiar.

I hold a BA from CU (graduated in '09) but no teacher's license. I LOVED CU- will I like UCCS?I'm currently working as a paraprofressional for a school district in ND, so I'm working with students. I figure instead of wasting my BA and working as a para (which doesn't require a BA), I may as well be working as a teacher!

Will pursuing an alternative license get me a job? I keep reading how 100 applicants apply for every teaching job.

I only ask because I'm getting ready to send off all of my forms and the whole thing (testing, license, grad school app, etc) costs so much $ I don't have. If my chances of getting hired on by a school district are slim I don't want to spend all that money this summer.

I'm happy with and would probably prefer working for Title 1 schools.
My content/endorsement area is secondary Social Studies. What are the prospects for ALP jobs in the field?

Also, do ALP teachers recieve benefits? I know they get salary but I would really need benefits as well.

Thanks for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2010, 01:11 PM

6,822 posts, read 10,510,104 times
A lot of teachers today become one through alternative licensure and the UCCS program is very good.
The job market is competitive but what will you be teaching? - that can make a huge difference.

It definitely makes more sense in the long run than working as a para. I think anyone working full time gets benefits, ALP or not. But the catch about ALP is you have to get someone to hire you before they will admit you into some programs.

If you are getting a master's degree in education, you wouldn't be doing alternative licensure, you can get a straight-up license. You could work as a para in the mean time and scout out schools.

Old 05-15-2010, 08:29 PM

Thanks otowi. My degree is in International Affairs so I would be looking for secondary social studies jobs.

I think your latter idea will be my fall back plan if I don't get an ALP job- at least as a para I'm staying in the field. I'm happy to hear the UCCS program is good. I kind of get a weird vibe from UCCS. It doesn't 'feel' like a college to me the way CU boulder did. But their program does seem to make the most sense (CU Boulder 's involves 2 years of full time education before teaching).

Old 05-15-2010, 08:38 PM

You would have a hard time finding a social studies job. That is a field in which not many teachers are required in comparison to how many are potentially qualified and looking for the jobs. UCCS feels different because Boulder is a larger school where most students move to the area and live on campus or nearby, etc., while UCCS is a commuter school and more people live off campus and may be a wider variety of ages, proportionately speaking, as well.

Old 05-16-2010, 08:00 PM

Darn. I wonder why they even offer secondary alternative licensing through UCCS if it's so hard to find jobs. :/ I have no doubt they'll give the jobs to the traditional, experienced teachers if there are so few jobs for so many applicants. It's frustrating!

Old 05-17-2010, 06:23 AM

It's hard in general, not just for ALP. ALP is a respectable program and lots of people get jobs that way. But experienced teachers are getting jobs before the newbies right now as long as they're good teachers, then newbies next. Newbies are getting jobs, too - I just said that in social studies there has long (as in for decades) been more people with the qualifications than there are jobs. You could still get a job, you just might have to be flexible and patient.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs