Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-22-2010, 10:20 AM

11 posts, read 14,970 times

Advertisements

Well I have lived here for about 3 weeks. Most of what I thought about Colorado was from stories and family members past experiences. The people here are the nicest I have been around. I was in the military, I was around a lot of different people! People here don't seem to care about the way you look or the car you drive. If you are nice to them, they are nice to you. No strings attached!
The only downside... my family is looking for property and everything here seems to be stuck in the boom era where "name your price and its sold" was the norm. So if anyone out here knows of someone thinking about selling or has been trying to sell 40+ acres with a small house (or no house) east/north east of the springs (an hour or so driving is ok) reply back.
Anyone wanting or thinking of moving to the area, its a great place to live, come on out and visit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2010, 10:34 AM

26,214 posts, read 49,052,722 times
Should be lots of farmettes out in the area of Peyton, Calhan, Yoder, Rush, Ellicott, etc, all within an hour of COLO SPGS.

Search on those town names in realtor.com or the Pikes Peak Realtor Assoc which list 35 places with 40+ acres, starting at 70K (which is less than some people pay for a fancy car).

KEY thing to always do a LOT of homework on when buying rural properties is the issue of WATER, which is doubly serious given all of the various water laws in the state of COLO. WELLS are very expensive too, many thousands of dollars if you have to drill one.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 05-22-2010, 07:09 PM

1,331 posts, read 5,083,746 times
IF you are not opposed to living 36 miles (or less) southwest of COS... I would suggest Canon City or Penrose. There are tons of acreage at a very reasonable price AND with irrigation water!!!! a HOME ON THE LAND IS NOT OUT OF THE QUESTION EITHER!!!! sorry about the caps.......

Old 05-27-2010, 06:35 PM

Mike, Thanks for the reply. Yeah, water from what I can tell is going to be a huge factor. I can find 40+ with a house and outbuildings for less than 80k all day... but everything is very dry. I would like to have some animals like goats, chickens, maybe a donkey, and a beefer. Hey Sheridan, thanks for the info on Canon City. I will check that out as soon as I am done here. I understand the idea of "you get what you pay for" and if I want water and green grass I better pay for it!! The thing is is that I don't care about being surrounded by beautiful home sites and being in a gated community. I left the Jones's long ago and I don't envy them. I like the peace and quiet and good soil. (Maybe I am in the wrong area huh?) Well any other thoughts out there I will try to keep up with you in my responses.
Again SheridanL and Mike thanks for your insight.

Old 06-04-2010, 10:53 PM

2,221 posts, read 5,291,770 times
And if you don't have an existing well, most of the new permits only allow indoors use of water...not even pet watering outdoors.

Old 06-07-2010, 04:07 PM

Yeah, we're trying to learn as much about the water rights and figure out the best way to do things. I did go to Penrose/Florence/Canon City this past weekend and I really like the wet mountain area south of Florence. Yeah there are all the prisons but they look pretty secure . It seems the land down there is a little more fertile. Does anyone have any input on that? I was around 10 miles south of Florence on 67. I don't want to get the wrong idea because of the early season we are in. The commute (to the springs) isn't to bad either. I am actually in school for criminal justice and it looks like I will be in the best place to get a job!! (even though working in a prison wasn't my top priority) Well any thoughts let me know. Thanks everyone.

Old 06-07-2010, 06:23 PM

6,825 posts, read 10,522,918 times
Yes, south of here from Penrose/Florence/Canon City out along the Highway 50 corridor are this part of Colorado's "banana belt" - a bit hotter and lower elevation, more likely to find fruit growing, etc. Penrose is famous for its apples, and further east, Rocky Ford is famous for its melon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs