Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-20-2010, 01:36 PM

5,089 posts, read 15,403,299 times

Advertisements

Why would we be concerned with providing free tuition with the overpaid athletic departments, payment for sports programs and stadiums. In addition we pay for the free ride and lax academic oversight that athletes get at colleges. I do not agree that over hyped sports programs belong at a university. Football has nothing to do with a quality education and takes away funds from the real purpose of a university.

Livecontent
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2010, 01:47 PM

Josseppie writes:

"...in fact the Hasan School of Business is ranked among the best business schools in the country..."

Bull, bull, bull. Get outta here. This just part of a number of second, third, and forth tier schools that offer business degrees. Many of those degrees, especially MBAs at these schools, have dubious educational knowledge and lack value in the marketplace. I can understand the value of hard core business courses, like statistics and accounting but some of these programs are just a paper degree. In addition, there is just too many of these substandard programs pumping out graduates and now at an accelerated pace--there is no job market. These are easy programs for colleges to fund--all you need is a room and some underpaid temp adjunct "professor". Now, with online--you do not even need the room or the library or the campus. Ah, but you need space to build the football stadium.

Years ago, when I started college in the 1960s, there was a movement to stop the educational degrees for business programs because they were not considered true education in the Arts and Sciences. Maybe that was the extreme idea but we gone too far by giving degrees for these nonsense majors.

Livecontent

Old 06-20-2010, 02:42 PM

299 posts, read 903,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by livecontent View Post
Josseppie writes:

"...in fact the Hasan School of Business is ranked among the best business schools in the country..."

Bull, bull, bull. Get outta here. This just part of a number of second, third, and forth tier schools that offer business degrees. Many of those degrees, especially MBAs at these schools, have dubious educational knowledge and lack value in the marketplace. I can understand the value of hard core business courses, like statistics and accounting but some of these programs are just a paper degree. In addition, there is just too many of these substandard programs pumping out graduates and now at an accelerated pace--there is no job market. These are easy programs for colleges to fund--all you need is a room and some underpaid temp adjunct "professor". Now, with online--you do not even need the room or the library or the campus. Ah, but you need space to build the football stadium.

Years ago, when I started college in the 1960s, there was a movement to stop the educational degrees for business programs because they were not considered true education in the Arts and Sciences. Maybe that was the extreme idea but we gone too far by giving degrees for these nonsense majors.

Livecontent
The Hasan School of Business likes to sell itself on the fact that that it has the AACSB accreditation. Supposedly, this means that they are ranked in the top 15% of all business schools in the world.

IMO, all this accreditation does is allow HSB to have slightly higher tuition than some of the other schools at the university. It also adds about $300 in onerous fees to every business student's bill every semester. The technology and quality of instruction are right in line with what every other department at the university has, and the admission standards for HSB are no different than any of the other schools. The only thing that HSB has on the rest of the university is the fact that their building is newer and more well-maintained than any other building on the campus.

I agree that a degree in business is not as valuable as people make it seem to be. I started off as a business major, but chose to change my major to mass communications and just minor in business because in the mass comm department, we're able to learn some hands-on technical skills like audio/video production, web design and graphic design that will make ourselves more marketable when looking for a job.

I have learned some valuable things in some of my quantitative business classes as well, namely in accounting, finance and economics. Some of the qualitative classes that teach us all of these different theories about management and marketing, however, are a waste of time. My grandpa (who owned a very successful small business) once told me that book smarts don't make a successful businessman, street smarts make a successful businessman. When you look at the world today, that is very hard to argue.

Old 06-20-2010, 07:54 PM

138 posts, read 339,794 times
The problem with higher out of state tutiton rates is that it'll cause some of those students to reconsider their options. Those students are a source of major funding for some colleges in Colorado and if they lose those students they'll have to jack up rates for everyone else.

Old 06-20-2010, 09:34 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostontopueblo View Post
The problem with higher out of state tutiton rates is that it'll cause some of those students to reconsider their options. Those students are a source of major funding for some colleges in Colorado and if they lose those students they'll have to jack up rates for everyone else.
It doesn't seem to discourage too many from going to CU-Boulder from out of state. I don't believe the out of state portion of their students has declined. It's still somewhat less than many private colleges.

Old 06-21-2010, 12:33 AM

12,262 posts, read 24,461,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostontopueblo View Post
Colorado State University Pueblo has a program that if out of state students stay in the residence halls they get reduced tuition. If I remember right it can be as much as 6,000 dollars a year.

Old 06-21-2010, 12:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by livecontent View Post
Why would we be concerned with providing free tuition with the overpaid athletic departments, payment for sports programs and stadiums. In addition we pay for the free ride and lax academic oversight that athletes get at colleges. I do not agree that over hyped sports programs belong at a university. Football has nothing to do with a quality education and takes away funds from the real purpose of a university.

Livecontent
Like it or not sports programs bring in more money to a university in the form of donations then the school spends on top of that having a great sports program is a major draw for perspective students as having sports including a football stadium on campus helps create a sense of community that most students like while in college. In the case of CSU Pueblo the cost to start the football program and build the new stadium was all paid for by donations.

Old 06-21-2010, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josseppie View Post
Like it or not sports programs bring in more money to a university in the form of donations then the school spends on top of that having a great sports program is a major draw for perspective students as having sports including a football stadium on campus helps create a sense of community that most students like while in college. In the case of CSU Pueblo the cost to start the football program and build the new stadium was all paid for by donations.
This is just more bull. The function of a university is teaching academics. It is not a circus to satisfy the drooling "intelligence" of the community or of the student body.

The funds generated are exaggerated from this activity and the donations are just a cover up. They do not cover the full expenses of these programs and the immense salaries and budgets over years.

So, you got donations for a stadium?? Big deal--why do you not cover the whole cost of the program, the budgets, the maintenance of the stadium, the tuition for the players, the tutoring to teach them to learn, the summer camps, the recruiting trips, and the huge salaries for the coaches...but no, we are not going to do that...we donated for the stadium.
DA...keeping drooling that Bull.

This activity is not needed for a sense of community. The universities should not bring in students whose main function is to be "paid gladiators" and many times do not satisfy entrance requirements. College athletics do not bring in the students you need to develop an excellent college environment. It makes no difference to the perspective students who values education over the Bull.

The idea of college athletics is to develop the whole person from the whole student body--not a select few.

Football, Basketball etc. is not going to turn Colorado State University at Pueblo into a first rate school--no matter how much you blow the Bull. It is all about academics, that is what you teach and what you learn.

Livecontent

Old 06-21-2010, 12:19 PM

^

I guess you and I have a fundamental difference on what the mission is of a university. While I agree its main focus is to educate people universities, IMO, also need to provide recreation and develop a sense of community in a safe environment as for most of the students this is their first time away from home. For years CSU Pueblo did a good job of educating people but lacked in the other areas and that was one reason the school never grew. Now that they are doing a better job of providing a campus life and have great recreation events including concerts and sporting events more and more people are choosing CSU Pueblo and that is why they should get to 10,000 students in the next few years then approach 20,000 students in the coming years.

Old 06-21-2010, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josseppie View Post
^

I guess you and I have a fundamental difference on what the mission is of a university. While I agree its main focus is to educate people universities, IMO, also need to provide recreation and develop a sense of community in a safe environment as for most of the students this is their first time away from home. For years CSU Pueblo did a good job of educating people but lacked in the other areas and that was one reason the school never grew. Now that they are doing a better job of providing a campus life and have great recreation events including concerts and sporting events more and more people are choosing CSU Pueblo and that is why they should get to 10,000 students in the next few years then approach 20,000 students in the coming years.
We do have a difference in opinions. Your opinion seems to be the loud minority. My opinion is the silent majority. However, in this case, the minority will rule, as it does in many colleges and life. For our society seems to accept the domination of paid spectator sporting events. A college is just a microcosm of the real world and the real world worships these sports.

Quality of a College Institution is not measured by the size of the enrollment. Quality is still a measure of academics and that must be the first and foremost goal. Pueblo will put their money into sports first, and it may get to be a big loud cheering school; but it will never be an excellent school of silent scholars, who do make the big difference in society.

Livecontent
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado