Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-19-2010, 03:48 PM

5,089 posts, read 15,401,935 times

Advertisements

Josseppie,

I just spend some time look at the CSU-Pueblo website. I wanted to get more information and try to understand this University. It seems to me that the big purpose of this program is to stimulate education advancement for the Hispanic community. That is because most students are from that region and and the school is 40% Hispanic. It is already eligible for additional federal funding because of the Hispanic population.

Obviously, the program cannot restrict applicants from other areas that do qualify for the free tuition. Yet, it is a regional university and the fact of the manner is most students that will benefit will be from the southern region of the state.

I think it is an excellent idea to help our Hispanic Americans. However, it would be beneficial for the University to actively recruit more students from all over Colorado. Diversity is a not only about different ethnic groups but it is also about a mix of different people from different parts of Colorado, so students can be exposed to different values and ideas. In addition, more out of state students and foreign students would help. We would not want CSU-Pueblo to be known as that "Hispanic School". There are state schools in the Southern US, because of their region and their student body, that have a negative perception because they are predominately Black. Perceptions and Misconceptions can negatively effect graduates and programs. Sometimes lies becomes truths because enough people believe it.

Being a senior, I do not pay much attention to college programs. I am surprised by the extent of some of the technical programs that are being offered by Pueblo. The campus is more extensive than I realized.

I find your statements about the historical competition and animosity of the other areas of the state in refusing a campus at Pueblo to be somewhat exaggerated. At this stage, I think it is just a moot point and serves no purpose to continually argue the point.

Livecontent

Last edited by livecontent; 06-19-2010 at 03:59 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2010, 05:12 PM

299 posts, read 903,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by livecontent View Post

I just spend some time look at the CSU-Pueblo website. I wanted to get more information and try to understand this University. It seems to me that the big purpose of this program is to stimulate education advancement for the Hispanic community. That is because most students are from that region and and the school is 40% Hispanic. It is already eligible for additional federal funding because of the Hispanic population.
CSU-Pueblo has the HSI (Hispanic Serving Institute) status attached to it. A school can achieve this status by having and maintaining a certain percentage (I THINK 35%) of their students who are Hispanic for a given number of years. And yes, the school does take ultra-extraordinary measures to cater to Hispanic students.

A business ethics professor once told a class of mine that Colorado mandates that the faculty and staff of every state-funded school has to be ethnically representative of the student population. There are very few Hispanic professors at the university (though there are several who are Asian, African-American, European and from the Middle East). So, about 80% of the people in support positions are Hispanic. These support positions range from custodians to secretaries to financial aid and admissions counselors.

It also seems to me that priority for on-campus student jobs and work study positions always goes to Hispanic students. I qualified for work-study last year, but could not find a position, even though I had 3 interviews. Don't get me started on university-sponsored scholarship programs either...

Old 06-19-2010, 05:16 PM

12,262 posts, read 24,459,644 times
I don't work at the university so I can't say exactly what they do or do not do to recruit students. I know they are a Hispanic designated school because 20% of their students are Hispanic and that does give them some grants and that has a lot to do with Pueblo and Southern Colorado. That being said I know they actively recruit outside of southern Colorado and Colorado and attend college fairs and use mailers in areas where they have found to be the most successful. Keep in mind that it has just been in the past few years that CSU Pueblo has become the kind of school that out of state students want to attend but now that it has more and more students are looking and picking CSU Pueblo. In fact I was talking to a person who does advertising for the colleges for Comcast and he told me that since the school became CSU Pueblo and has football he has seen a increase in the students from other parts of the state who want to attend the university because they now have a Colorado State degree, close to the mountains yet have better weather in the winter. As far as out of state I know that California is one of those states CSU Pueblo recruits students, in fact, I have friends who attend the fairs out there and tell me all the time they see CSU Pueblo.

As far as Pueblo getting or not get the university early on I know at this point its strictly academic and since I like to study Pueblo I find it interesting but I understand that as of now since we do have Colorado State University - Pueblo does not mean much. What is more important is that we have a major university that, along with CU Boulder and CSU Fort Collins, could be one of the top 3 well known universities in the state in the near future and I think that will have a huge impact not only on Pueblo but southern Colorado.

Old 06-19-2010, 05:26 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goyanks57 View Post
CSU-Pueblo has the HSI (Hispanic Serving Institute) status attached to it. A school can achieve this status by having and maintaining a certain percentage (I THINK 35%) of their students who are Hispanic for a given number of years. And yes, the school does take ultra-extraordinary measures to cater to Hispanic students.

A business ethics professor once told a class of mine that Colorado mandates that the faculty and staff of every state-funded school has to be ethnically representative of the student population. There are very few Hispanic professors at the university (though there are several who are Asian, African-American, European and from the Middle East). So, about 80% of the people in support positions are Hispanic. These support positions range from custodians to secretaries to financial aid and admissions counselors.

It also seems to me that priority for on-campus student jobs and work study positions always goes to Hispanic students. I qualified for work-study last year, but could not find a position, even though I had 3 interviews. Don't get me started on university-sponsored scholarship programs either...
I'd like to see a source for that, other than your business prof. I've lived in Boulder Co., where we get a lot of news about CU in our daily paper, for 28 years, and never heard of that. Both my daughters went to school at CU (one at the HSC) and never said anything about that. My friend worked in the CU admissions office for years and never said anything about such a policy. Most of the people she worked with were white, non-Hispanic. I think you either misunderstood the prof or he didn't know what he was talking about.

Old 06-19-2010, 05:27 PM

5,610 posts, read 23,308,989 times
So how would you compare CSU Pueblo with CU Springs?

Old 06-19-2010, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegaspilgrim View Post
In my opinion the big difference between UCCS and CSU Pueblo is UCCS along with UC Denver is more of a branch of CU Boulder and has no sports programs while CSU Pueblo is a completely separate university from CSU Fort Collins with its own identity and sports teams etc. Now I am not saying that UCCS will not have a huge impact on Colorado Springs as they already are and in someway's ahead of CSU Pueblo as they have been around longer just like UC Denver has a huge impact on Denver but in the long run not having a complete separate identity along with major sports will always hold UCCS back while CSU Pueblo will not have that issue and as they get close to 20,000 students, with a football team along with other sports, it should be more nationally recognized.

In fact the schools are trying to start a local rivalry and I talked to UCCS admissions and they said its cute but will never happen because of the lack of sports and a separate identity at UCCS.

Old 06-19-2010, 06:02 PM

299 posts, read 903,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegaspilgrim View Post
UCCS has a more suburban campus than CSU-Pueblo. It is a lot closer to shopping and restaurants than CSU-Pueblo. They have more students than CSU-P, but not many more.

They compete in the RMAC and have all of the same sports programs that CSU-Pueblo has, with the exception of a football team and wrestling squad. If I had to guess, I'd say that UCCS is a bit stronger academically and a little more expensive.

Old 06-19-2010, 09:02 PM

Quote:
UCCS has a more suburban campus than CSU-Pueblo. It is a lot closer to shopping and restaurants than CSU-Pueblo. They have more students than CSU-P, but not many more.

They compete in the RMAC and have all of the same sports programs that CSU-Pueblo has, with the exception of a football team and wrestling squad. If I had to guess, I'd say that UCCS is a bit stronger academically and a little more expensive.
I agree that UCCS is in a suburban environment while CSU Pueblo is going for a urban environment. Now this is a matter of personal preference but I happen to think a urban environment where students can walk to and from school as well as work and play is much better then a suburban environment where students must drive.

This is from the urban renewal web page:

Located east of Colorado State University - Pueblo the Authority is participating with private developers to establish a high-density, pedestrian-friendly neighborhood to help serve the commercial and residential needs of the university.

The link: http://www.pueblourbanrenewal.org/thunder.html (broken link)

UCCS does not have the same class of sports as CSU Pueblo and never will especially football and like it or not that is the sport that tends to give a university national attention. IMO its only a matter of time before CSU Pueblo's football team is a power house in division 2 then later part of division 1, UCCS will never have that and again, IMO, that is a major disadvantage. For example, CSU P was able to recruit a division 1 quarterback that was one of the best and in line to win a major trophy. How many division 2 schools can say they can do that? Look at this from the Pueblo Chieftain:

Sebastian Trujillo, a 23-year-old quarterback transfer from the University of San Diego, was granted another year of eligibility. This is big on several fronts. First, the kid can flat play. He was on the watch list for the Walter Payton Award, given to the most outstanding offensive player in the Division I Football Championship Subdivision. He threw for nearly 3,000 yards and 35 touchdowns in 2008 at USD.

The link: http://www.chieftain.com/sports/loca...cc4c03286.html

Here is a picture of the Thunderbowl at CSU Pueblo.

I use this as a example because having a football stadium on campus like this helps create a sense of community for students and makes the school more attractive for potential students who are looking at different universities.

UCCS is more expensive but academically they are not stronger in fact the Hasan School of Business is ranked among the best business schools in the country and CSU Pueblo offers classes in Colorado Springs and they do quite well. Look at this from their web page:

The Hasan School of Business has expanded the opportunity for Colorado State University-Pueblo students to get a Master of Business Administration degree. For only two nights a week, students who live in or commute to Colorado Springs can take part in the internationally accredited MBA program and earn their degree in only two years.

The link: http://csupueblotoday.com/news/hassa...ess-offers-mba

Now, like I have stated, UCCS is farther along as they have been around longer so they have doctorate programs where CSU Pueblo has yet to develop them but I know they are in the process of doing that and I would not be surprised if CSU Pueblo has doctorate programs by 2015, the first being in the school of business.

Finally, last but defiantly not least, both schools mirror the towns they are in. What I mean is Pueblo is a principal city for a 20 county region in 2 states while Colorado Springs only is a principal city of the Pikes Peak region, 2 counties. So UCCS is more of a local university that serves the Pikes Peak Region where CSU Pueblo is more of a regional university that serves the entire region. So in the future you will see CSU Pueblo be much more connected to most of Colorado and other states where UCCS will be seen as a university mainly for people in the Pikes Peak Region. That is why CSU Pueblo has a program like we are talking about here to help more people get a education where UCCS does not.

Last edited by Josseppie; 06-19-2010 at 09:40 PM..

Old 06-20-2010, 12:41 AM

1,627 posts, read 4,218,209 times
Quote:
Sure, my parents could afford to pay for my education if they didn't have a mortgage and a vehicle payment and cell phones and insurance payments and DirecTV and a water bill or if we never ate out or went on family vacations, but don't we have to live a little? Isn't that why we work jobs?
Interesting. Sounds like the story of my life, just to pay for school.

Suck it up, Bucko. Plenty of sacrifices to be made for everyone. Besides, the more people are better educated, the better it is for all Americans...smarter employees, more informed customers and better employees, plus more innovation and creativity.

Free education? I'll take it. We all pay for it, but that's fine by me.

Old 06-20-2010, 09:24 AM

Talking 'Excitement & Growth' giving way to period of 'Achievement'

There was a interesting editorial in today's Pueblo Chieftain about the growth at CSU Pueblo.

We are entering a new segment of the “Excitement and Growth” period that Colorado State University-Pueblo and the Department of Athletics have had the good fortune to experience since that spring day in 2007 as the CSU System Board of Governors gave permission to President Joe Garcia to proceed with athletics expansion.

The link: http://www.chieftain.com/opinion/ideas/article_5365455c-7b44-11df-b6c7-001cc4c002e0.html

I really liked this question that was posed to the community:

What if the university’s enrollment increases to 8,000-10,000 students? Imagine if that enrollment growth, along with all the new academic programs and enhanced student life options, were to be combined with a national championship in the sport of football. What would life at CSU-Pueblo be like if all that were to occur? Exciting to think about, isn't it?

And that is just the short term goal of 10,000 students imagine the long term goal of the university being at 15,000 to 20,000 students and the kind of impact that would have not only on Pueblo but southern Colorado? That is why I am so excited about this school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado