U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-06-2010, 02:35 PM

7 posts, read 26,169 times

Advertisements

Hello....
I have done a very little research about Grand Junction and the area, but what I really need to know and what concerns me most is the school districts. I have a 4th grader and a 1st grader....what schools are better? Which to absolutely avoid? They are in private schools now due to our school system here in S. Louisiana. Also, homes and where we should live. Absolutely shouldn't live....we would like some acreage, maybe 3 or 4 acres. Husbnad will work in grand junction but could drive 30 or so minutes if necessary to work from home. Can anyone lead me in the right direction?
Thanks a million in advance..
Michelle
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2010, 04:08 PM

14 posts, read 61,373 times
Welcome! My family and I just moved to Grand Junction too, just a few weeks ago. Though I in no way consider myself an expert in the area, I'll do what I can in the way of advice.

As far as schools go, there used to be a really great website that offered a searchable accountability report. I had previously bookmarked it but now the link doesn't work. I found this link which might offer some help: http://www.cde.state.co.us/cdeassess/documents/SAR/ratings.htm

Basically, from what I've seen online, the best elementary schools are Orchard Avenue, Appleton, New Emerson, Winggate (Redlands), and Scenic (Redlands). I've also heard that Lincoln Orchard Mesa is a good school (which is the one my daughter will likely be attending). As far as choosing what school you want your children to attend without living within the boundary, the school district does offer a "School of Choice" program but the dates for that program have already come and gone for this coming school year. And they do not budge when you try to enroll your child after these dates. Believe me, I've tried.

Here's the link for the districts website: http://www.mesa.k12.co.us/index.cfm

As far as private schools go, I think they are mostly faith-based programs. I would actually be interested to hear more information about any recommended private schools. I've checked out Landmark Baptist's school program. It seems like a great program with very high academic performance but I was a little put off by the small size of the school (50 kids or less from Pre-K to 12) and by the lack of outdoor space (no grass or playground).

As far as where to live, there are good and bad places anywhere you go, but I've been told to avoid Clifton (and the schools therein). My husband and I have the same desire to own some acreage. We've driven around quite a bit and we've narrowed our searchable area down to Palisade, Orchard Mesa, and East Orchard Mesa. We like East Orchard Mesa and Palisade the best because they really have the country feel we're looking for and the orchards and vineyards in the area are absolutely gorgeous!

My husband works in Parachute, which is just east of Junction, so we've bascially ruled out Fruita and the Redlands although I've heard they are nice places to live as well. And I've heard the schools in both are top notch.

We've made the choice to rent for a year in order to check out the area and make the best possible choice for our family. I hope your search goes well!

Old 07-06-2010, 04:46 PM

1,963 posts, read 4,713,098 times
To be honest, the schools aren`t that great academically. The better schools are in the Redlands area. I would avoid the Clifton area and certain parts of Orchard Mesa. The better areas are Fruita,Palisade, Redlands, North GJ. There is Mac and Loma which are rural.

Old 07-07-2010, 12:37 PM

3,296 posts, read 9,117,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lweedop View Post

Basically, from what I've seen online, the best elementary schools are Orchard Avenue, Appleton, New Emerson, Winggate (Redlands), and Scenic (Redlands). I've also heard that Lincoln Orchard Mesa is a good school (which is the one my daughter will likely be attending). As far as choosing what school you want your children to attend without living within the boundary, the school district does offer a "School of Choice" program but the dates for that program have already come and gone for this coming school year. And they do not budge when you try to enroll your child after these dates. Believe me, I've tried.

Here's the link for the districts website: http://www.mesa.k12.co.us/index.cfm

As far as private schools go, I think they are mostly faith-based programs. I would actually be interested to hear more information about any recommended private schools. I've checked out Landmark Baptist's school program. It seems like a great program with very high academic performance but I was a little put off by the small size of the school (50 kids or less from Pre-K to 12) and by the lack of outdoor space (no grass or playground).

As far as where to live, there are good and bad places anywhere you go, but I've been told to avoid Clifton (and the schools therein).

We've made the choice to rent for a year in order to check out the area and make the best possible choice for our family. I hope your search goes well!
Great information! I taught elementary school in Grand Junction a few years ago, and as a new teacher I was working at one of the schools to avoid. The biggest problems with the schools in Clifton and the close surrounding area, were the behavior issues and lack of parental involvement. Take a look at the accountability reports and it will give you an idea. While low test scores don't necessarily mean the school is bad, it gives you an idea that something is going on. I would avoid these elementary schools: Clifton, Chatfield, Rocky Mountain, Pear Park and Fruitvale. Of course, these are going to be schools that are closer in the area of town that you might want to live due to your husband's employment situation. They aren't entirely bad schools, but kids do have to deal with more in those schools. I had students with very foul mouths, students that brought condoms to school (3rd grader), a student threw a bullet at me (3rd grader), and numerous kids that had full blow ups in class. It was really hard for the other students to learn.

Old 07-07-2010, 07:43 PM

23 posts, read 93,725 times
Well, I have lived here far too long, have three kids in the school system, and also work for the school district. The truth is, there are good and bad teachers and good and bad kids anywhere. My oldest two went to Clifton Elementary their whole grade school years and they learned great, I LOVED the teachers and they had no problems with middle school or high school. I know Clifton ranks low, but there could be lots of reasons for that. I never had a problem with that school. That said, a lot of the Clifton area is not the place to live. Believe it or not, I used school of choice for my kids to go to Clifton. LOL Anyway, my youngest is now in Fruitvale. It has been ok there. Again, I think it just depends on the teacher, and teachers come and go and move around via the district.
My best friend had her children in one of the Christian/private schools and had HORRIBLE experiences with them as well. You can talk to lots of people, but unfortunately, it really just comes down to your own likes, dislikes and your children's experiences, at least in this area.
There are some nice homes and neighborhoods throughout the valley. We live in Fruitvale, on a dead end street and it is always quiet and has been for the 5 years we have lived here. I would stay out of Clifton ( there are nice neighborhoods there too, just harder to find) and Riverside area. Around Colorado, Ute and Pitkin are not so good either, but these are downtown and do not have property. I grew up in Loma and it is very "farm like" and rural out there, but it IS a good drive to town. My sister lives in Fruita. Fruita has experienced HUGE growth in the last few years, but is still small, and has a lot of rural qualities, and still have farms and property..BUT property prices out in Fruita will be high. The "Redlands" area is also very nice, but again, you will pay a lot more for a home and acreage.
I suggest google maps, street view to get a "feel" for certain areas, if you haven't used it already. This is how I fell in love with MO, and then when I went to Mo, it was better than I even thought via street view. LOL Good luck.

Old 07-10-2010, 05:14 PM

6,288 posts, read 10,792,669 times
Most people who ask the questions you're asking, tend to favor living in Grand Junction off Patterson Road between 31 road and 12th street, downtown around 6th and Walnut, the Fruitvale area, or the Redlands. You can also find the acreage and nice homes out in the 26 road/H road area.

Old 07-16-2010, 07:06 PM

1 posts, read 3,885 times
I am a mother of two girls 9 & 11 and we live in the Clifton area. True, there are places to avoid in Clifton but not all places in Clifton are bad. Around 29 Road-7th street in Grand Junction has became a higher crime rate then Clifton in the past couple of years. It seems that more families are moving to Clifton rather than Grand Junction because the cost of living is lower and with the state of the economy families are looking to save money. It seems that closer to Palisade, but still in Clifton, are where the nicer communities are and more family oriented communities. I do not recommend Clifton Elementary School. We travel 30 minutes across town, one way, for our girls to attend a tuition free charter school. My oldest daughter was a victim of a bully and sustained many injuries and the school refused to punish the child because she had a poor home life. We pulled our girls out of that school immediately. Once placed in the charter school we found out that our oldest was two grade levels behind and was never told that at Clifton, she was just pushed through.

I would recommend looking into the two Charter schools in Grand Junction, they are both tuition free and teach K-highschool, I think one is 10th grade and one is 12th grade. The names of the schools are Independence Academy and Caprock Academy.

As for employment, jobs seem to be scarce around here. I have known highly skilled people unemployed for over two years and have been pounding the pavement hard looking for jobs, your husband may have to travel to work or hopefully he will get lucky.

Old 07-27-2010, 09:38 PM

1 posts, read 3,727 times
Default Schools

Hello, I am glad you are considering the Grand Junction area it is a nice place. All of the schools are in the same District, however the location of the school does make a big difference in the Grand Valley.

Academically I would say the best schools are in Fruita and on the Redlands. I would stay away from Clifton, it is cheaper but it is not incorporated and has a lot of problems with crime.

If you want land with water you probably need to look North and West of Grand Junction. Fruita is a great area as well as North and North West Grand Junction.

Redlands is a nice area but there are no canals so there isn't irrigation water. Some would say that the kids that go to the schools on the Redlands are stuck up. Currently the kids that go to Redlands Middle School end up at Fruita Monument High School. I would probably stay away from Central and Palisade High Schools, but then they were our rivals since I went to Fruita. There just seems to be more crime on the East end of the valley.

Good searching.

Old 07-27-2010, 10:04 PM

1,331 posts, read 4,807,495 times
My son went to Central in GJ for his 9th and 10th grade.He played football and also golf. He came back to Canon City, CO for his 11th and 12th (senior) year. He played football in Canon City AND was on the tennis team ( we have our own personal tennis court in our back yard) both years. He is now stationed in Hawaii and is a cryptologist in the Navy.
My point is this....................One can be anything AND do anything one wants!! It doesn't matter where you live,...it matters if you and your loved ones support you and also if your family(however separated) also suppports you. After that, you are on your own and anything you do or decide to do is YOURS and yours alone!!!
Go where you want to be...live where you feel comfortable....your family will adjust and be happy. If you can pay your bills and be as stress free as you can, you will strive AND so will your children and loved ones!!
Anything else is a bonus!!

Old 07-29-2010, 02:18 PM

8 posts, read 24,643 times
I moved to Grand Junction (Grand Valley region) recently, having lived in large metro areas as well as college towns. My initial impressions of the region are positive as the people are generally friendly, certainly more hospitable than Denver.
Everyone warns to stay away from Clifton; it’s the Aurora (0r Oakland) of the area. People also say live north of NORTH. “North” is the east-west dividing avenue, similar to Hampden in Denver Metro. For seeing the beauty of the valley I prefer neighborhoods north of Patterson (AKA “F” road) out by the airport near Horizon drive exit off I-70. It’s higher elevation and thus one can see the full geology of the valley, Colorado Monument on the south, Book Cliffs on the north, Grand Mesa on the east. Let’s face it, if you are in a neighborhood near downtown Grand Junction you will have tree canopies which block the panoramic views. For all you can see, you might as well be in any neighborhood in Detroit or Des Moines.
This is the whitest city in Colorado other than Fort Collins. I mean by skin color. I personally like a bit more diversity but it is what it is.
The Mullet and Farah-Fawcett haircuts are still in style unless you live in the Redlands area or Fruita. Fruita, AKA Mayberry, has some nice hair salons judging by the attractive hair cuts there.
There is a peculiar aspect of this region that I have not seen before which is that many property owners trash their yards with anything and everything that comes through their hands. You pass through neighborhoods and see what looks like a gigantic yard sale – or a sheriff eviction – and find out that “it’s been like that for 20 years.” Why people don’t have more self respect for their dwelling spaces is beyond me but I see this everywhere in the region.
Schools, I don’t know much about here, but the overall appearance of the residents here is not exactly Highlands Ranch or Marin County, sorry to say. Can’t say these people are well off judging by appearances.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado