U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-25-2007, 01:47 PM

2 posts, read 14,659 times

Advertisements

My boyfriend and I are from Northampton, MA. We have lived here our whole lives, and we are absolutley sick of western mass, and the northeast all together. We are thinking about moving to Denver or Boulder. I love the fact that CO has sunny skies, and that the seasons go in the same pattern as in new england. I know Boulder and Denver are pretty close together, but based on what I want in a place to live which I will describe, I'm trying to figure out which would be better for Us. We want to live in a place where there is an active bustling city life if you want it, but an escape away from people, into nature when you want it too. I need to be able to get out and go swimming or hiking sometimes, but we also need to be able to choose from a variety of things to do if We're bored, day or night. We don't want to live with the type of hyper-liberal people around here (prententious, fake-friendly, and look down at you if you're not filthy rich and highly educated, or aren't doing yoga, driving a volvo, and eating organic). We considered Seattle briefly, but I was there once and its very rainy, and the holier than thou attitude was very much the same as it is here. Polotically speaking, (since I've heard this is an issue in moving to CO) We're mostly apathetic. I have democratic opinions on only 2 subjects, and the few polotical comments he's made have been half democrat half conservative. The other thing I'm wondering about is how many lakes, ponds, rivers, and etc are in the near vacinity of Both Boulder and Denver. I love the water, Though not so much the ocean, so it works out that CO is landlocked. And input is appreciated. Thanks!!

Last edited by katier; 06-25-2007 at 02:06 PM..
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2007, 02:01 PM

2,755 posts, read 12,141,554 times
I've lived in both Denver and Boulder, so hopefully I'll give you an idea. For the record, I like both places, and I tend to give the nod to Denver only because it's a lot more affordable than Boulder.

Unfortunately, a lot of people will accuse Boulder of the type of pseudo-liberal orthodoxy that you're describing in New England. I think that's a little bit overdone, but there may be grain of truth to that complaint. It is true that, from my perspective, Boulder has moved away from its hippie roots and embraced its yuppie side of late: think exchanging the organic co-op for the Whole Foods and I think you'll get my drift. Part of it is the fact that Boulder is expensive, and the counterculture elements can't afford to live there anymore.

Denver (the city), on the other hand, is somewhat liberal politically but much more in a live-and-let-live sort of way, in my opinion. The Chamber-of-Commerce Republicans even seem to be pretty happy in "liberal" Denver, so I think you'd be happy in Denver no matter what your political stripes are. Denver is much more genuinely diverse than Boulder (which is almost entirely WASP, despite its liberal reputation), and it has a much more varied "scene" here.

Denver does also have many more urban issues than Boulder, with its spotty school system (DPS) as compared to Boulder's uniformly excellent one (BVSD), as well as more urban grit, poverty, and crime, as one would expect with a city six times Boulder's size. I think one reason why Boulder continues to be popular is that it offers a lot of urban amenities with some of the suburban characteristics of lower crime and "better" school districts. Living in Denver, however, I can tell you that issues of poverty and crime in Denver are far less serious than most other cities its size.

Old 06-25-2007, 02:11 PM

2 posts, read 14,659 times
Thank You, you gave me the exact type of information I was looking for!

Old 06-25-2007, 02:21 PM

153 posts, read 177,685 times
My sister just moved to Seattle, near Pullayup, and she seems to be happy there, she's not close to the city-she's in a neighborhood that is for sportsman-they park their boats on their lawns, etc..not a lot of culture there-I prefer Denver to Seattle's downtown and we are considering the move to Golden to be close to a city with restaurants, shopping, concerts,
but be in a small community where we can hike, fish, cycle since we have
young boys (who hate the Opera).
We have a friend who is building in Golden, it's a small community not far
from Denver when you have the urge to do the big city. We are heading up
next week, so I will let you know what the people are like. I think Colorado is more on the conservative side.
I still don't know what is up with liberal/volvo driving/organic eating vegans..
We are more conservative, but eat that way (don't drive Volvo's though!)
There is way too much of that here in Albuquerque, which we are trying to get away from!

Old 06-26-2007, 07:07 PM

338 posts, read 931,720 times
I lived in Denver twice in the 90s and absolutely loved it as it remains one of my favorite cities, maybe my favorite large city. And unlike places like Boston and San Fran which claim to be open-minded but in reality are very intolerant and really just huge echo-chambers, there is enough balance in Denver for openness, tolerance, and active dialog.
Boulder is much more like the other crowd which talks diversity, but would actively boycott a Wal-Mart because it doesn't want the underclass A-A & Hispanic crowd in the area shopping and driving thru its neighborhoods.

Old 06-26-2007, 11:22 PM

90,377 posts, read 109,042,267 times
Everyone has commented on the politics of the two cities, mostly accurately, I think. There are some sincere liberals in Boulder, IMO.

However, no one has commented on the water question. Colorado, including Denver and Boulder, is not a water-sports/recreation mecca. The only recreational bodies of water in Boulder to speak of, are the Boulder Resevoir, which has swimming (brrr!) in the summer, plus canoeing and sailing; and Boulder Creek where some people go tubing in the spring and early summer. Denver has a few city parks with lakes where you can sail a boat, but none, to my knowledge, where you can swim. There are a couple of state parks in the metro area that having swimming areas (Cherry Creek and Chatfield Resevoirs). The water in these resevoirs is COLD! Boulder has an outdoor ice skating rink in the winter, as does Louisville, which is nearby. Metro Denver is a semi-arid region, meaning it gets little rain. Rivers? Streams? Not so much.

Last edited by Katarina Witt; 06-26-2007 at 11:23 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 06-27-2007, 07:56 AM

338 posts, read 931,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittnurse70 View Post
However, no one has commented on the water question. Colorado, including Denver and Boulder, is not a water-sports/recreation mecca. The only recreational bodies of water in Boulder to speak of, are the Boulder Resevoir, which has swimming (brrr!) in the summer, plus canoeing and sailing; and Boulder Creek where some people go tubing in the spring and early summer. Denver has a few city parks with lakes where you can sail a boat, but none, to my knowledge, where you can swim. There are a couple of state parks in the metro area that having swimming areas (Cherry Creek and Chatfield Resevoirs). The water in these resevoirs is COLD! Boulder has an outdoor ice skating rink in the winter, as does Louisville, which is nearby. Metro Denver is a semi-arid region, meaning it gets little rain. Rivers? Streams? Not so much.
If one wants aquatic recreational opportunities, they probably should head to the South or the Florida peninsula. Denver is anything but a warm-weather climate, but I wouldn't exactly call it a cold-weather climate either.
The 2 times I lived in Denver, we had multiple snows in September and I don't mean dusters. We had 2 to 3 inches shortly after Labor Day, but in Denver systems blew thru, snow melted, and you can even have some comfortable weather with lots of sunshine in the winter months. Its a dry climate with very low humidity, while certainly not desert country like the southwest (Arizona, NM, SoCal). In other words, they don't have swamp coolers on the roofs as in the southwest.
Contract this with a place like Mass which has horrible winters as I understand it. I have not lived there, but my wife and her first husband did, and she said it was the kind of winter where snow gets on the ground and stays until April and there is little winter sunshine. And sloppy, wet snow !
I would think someone coming from Mass to Denver (or Boulder) would think they died and gone to heaven given the climate in Colorado is better, cost of living is better, and people aren't so narrow-minded. However I can't speak to the current employment opportunities in Denver, which can of course always make or break the deal ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado