Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-27-2007, 12:52 AM

3 posts, read 18,724 times

Advertisements

Hello,

First off it was nice to find this site and the wealth of information on it. I got hooked into reading it for a few hours now and should probably go to sleep for work soon.

My family and I have been contemplating a move to Colorado and the Woodland Park area. As we currently live in Minnesota we are not worried about the temperatures nor the snow. Both of those look to be better in Colorado, more snow and higher average temps in the winter and lower in the summer. As I have been reading posts I have some concerns and would like some more input on those.

Firstmost is school's. We have an eight year old girl and an eleven year old girl. What is the school system like in the Woodland Park area for both elementary, middle school and high school? I have read some posts stating that the drug and suicide rates are higher in this area. I would like to hear some information on this from those of you that have children in school currently.

We are seriously considering this move however we tend to research alot before taking a step this large. Have lived in several states and are trying to find that one to finally settle down in that feels entirely like home. Hoping this may be it as I love the mountains, snowmobiling, atving, boating and fishing. I believe that it is a right move for the family but am trying to ensure it is.

Any info on the Woodland Park/Divide area would be greatly appreciated. I currently work in the IT field and do not want to commute to CS as I commute 55 miles one way right now and would like to work local if possible. Seems to be a few possibilities but not many, crossing my fingers.

Thanks.... C&A
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2007, 09:39 AM

3 posts, read 18,724 times
So after more research I am still liking the Woodland Park area the best however as the position I was hoping for is most likely gone as they made a verbal offer to someone. So the question is what is the commute like to/from Woodland Park area and Colorado Springs. I currently commute 55 miles each way resulting in about an hour and fifteen minute drive each way normally. While I don't want to do this if it will get me down there I may be willing to do it.

Also, does anyone have any opinions on Fort Collins. I have been reading about that but am not sure if I want to live on the plains versus in the mountains.

thanks again.......

Old 06-28-2007, 04:47 PM

60 posts, read 239,724 times
I think the commute from Woodland Park to CS wouldn't be too bad. We have friends in Black Forest ( they LOVE it there) and they are ten minutes from Academy Blvd. Also, you could take the FREX (broken link) bus from Monument.

Old 10-18-2007, 12:03 PM

32 posts, read 60,360 times
Hi Cadelong, have just read your post. I live in the Springs and the commute from Woodland Park to the Springs is not bad at all - takes about 15 to 20 minutes in the summer depending on where you live in Woodland Park - they keep the pass well gritted and clear during the winter - a lot of people do the commute - some have snow chains on their vehicles and other don't and our winters are great - the snow melts quickly due to the high rv rays and the warmth of the sun and blue skies during the winter months. Hope this helps. As far as schools go I have not heard about the excessive drugs and suicides at all -and believe me it would be in our daily paper if this was so.
Regards

Last edited by Mike from back east; 02-19-2011 at 10:32 AM..

Old 02-19-2011, 12:20 AM

62 posts, read 161,553 times
What did you end up doing?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado