Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-08-2011, 12:05 AM

2,221 posts, read 5,290,257 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josseppie View Post
Many people do think McDonalds is a good place to eat.

That would help explain why 19.8% of Coloradoans are now obese, and with nearly one out of five Coloradoans falling into lard-a** territory, we're leading the pack as the *least* fat state in the nation.

It's sad that 15 years ago not a single state was over 20%, and now all but one is, and we're within rounding distance ourselves.

The movie "Super Size Me" illustrated just how good a place to eat it is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josseppie View Post
I am confused. I am told that Pueblo has not grown much and that is not good for the economy of the city then once regional planners say it is suppose to grow I am told that is not good either. What is it?
Yes you are. Lack of growth is widely perceived as not good for a city when planners are fixated on new development as the economic engine of the community. For decades we have been watching developers build new urban sprawl, and we still have no good answers as to what we're going to do with the older vacated properties that are left behind. Those rotting urban cores are everywhere...and the faster the growth, the worse the inner-city blight.

Old 07-08-2011, 06:42 AM

122 posts, read 209,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob from down south View Post
It's sad that 15 years ago not a single state was over 20%, and now all but one is, and we're within rounding distance ourselves.
Only 15 years ago? Americans have been eating terrible food and living sedentary lifestyles for a lot longer than that. I wonder what could have suddenly caused a third of this country to swell up like balloons?

Old 07-08-2011, 08:01 AM

14,129 posts, read 31,251,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antares45 View Post
Only 15 years ago? Americans have been eating terrible food and living sedentary lifestyles for a lot longer than that. I wonder what could have suddenly caused a third of this country to swell up like balloons?
Pizza delivery.

Old 07-08-2011, 08:18 AM

7,841 posts, read 18,997,570 times
CAVA1990 wrote:
Pizza delivery.
Don't blame the obesity epidemic on pizza! I eat lots of pizza and I'm still fit and trim at age 62......BUT, I walk over 20,000 steps a day ( as recorded on a pedometer ), and I spend another 30 to 40 minutes a day doing pullups, push-ups, dips, lunges, etc. It's not the pizza, but rather a lack of physical activity.

Old 07-08-2011, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicWizard View Post
CAVA1990 wrote:
Pizza delivery.
Don't blame the obesity epidemic on pizza! I eat lots of pizza and I'm still fit and trim at age 62......BUT, I walk over 20,000 steps a day ( as recorded on a pedometer ), and I spend another 30 to 40 minutes a day doing pullups, push-ups, dips, lunges, etc. It's not the pizza, but rather a lack of physical activity.
Okay Mr. Be-Like-Jack (LaLanne). How about pizza delivery to the couch-ridden?

Old 07-08-2011, 08:52 AM

1,108 posts, read 3,321,255 times
Historically Colorado’s economy has always been centered on the Front Range.
After 1970 there was a study influx of folks mainly from the Midwest, Texas and California.
After 1990 this shifted to folks coming in from around the globe.

Prior to the tech boom of the 90s Colorado’s economy was often characterized as “Colorado has suburban Chicago’s cost of living and Louisiana’s wages. This changed somewhat during the tech boom.
The current downturn has hit Colorado same as other states. Denver was particular bad with the mortgage mess.

Colorado tends to be characterized by under employment rather than unemployment. Folks are working but for very little money. There is a small group that does very well. You never know you might turn to be one of them.

My family lived in Montrose and I went to and graduated from college (Mesa State) in Grand Junction. Point being I know of what I speak.

Old 07-08-2011, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Charles_ View Post
There is a small group that does very well. You never know you might turn to be one of them
That seems to be a common delusion nowadays. Nobody wants to tax the rich because they have these unrealistic pie-in-the-sky notions that someday they'll be one of those lucky few. This was fed by the phony boom experienced in the mid-2000s. I believe Karl Rove figured that out some time ago.

Old 07-08-2011, 10:13 AM

122 posts, read 209,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
That seems to be a common delusion nowadays. Nobody wants to tax the rich because they have these unrealistic pie-in-the-sky notions that someday they'll be one of those lucky few. This was fed by the phony boom experienced in the mid-2000s. I believe Karl Rove figured that out some time ago.
Or maybe it's just the American Dream. People always get into debates as to what the "American Dream" is and how it's changed over the years, but it really just boils down to this: Someday, things will be better than they are now, and often it happens without people even realizing it.

Such optimism against all odds is one of the unique traits of Americans, regardless of their heritage, be it Hispanic, English, German, Japanese, etc. You think the original settlers who came to Colorado during the Pike's Peak Gold Rush preoccupied themselves with thoughts like "It's going to be such a hard life out here. What if I don't find any gold?" while they were crossing the Great Plains?

My general philosophy on money comes from Forrest Gump: "Momma always said there's only so much money a man needs, and the rest is just for showing off." Based on what I've read about CO's economy so far, it seems to me that anyone with a similar views on finances would do quite well in that state.

Old 07-08-2011, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antares45 View Post
Such optimism against all odds is one of the unique traits of Americans, regardless of their heritage, be it Hispanic, English, German, Japanese, etc. You think the original settlers who came to Colorado during the Pike's Peak Gold Rush preoccupied themselves with thoughts like "It's going to be such a hard life out here. What if I don't find any gold?" while they were crossing the Great Plains?
I'm sure they did and a lot more went home broke with their tails between their legs than stayed to enjoy their riches. This mindset is why lotteries are so popular.

Old 07-08-2011, 10:29 AM

7,841 posts, read 18,997,570 times
Antares wrote:
Someday, things will be better than they are now, and often it happens without people even realizing it.
HOPE! We're are sold a steady diet of HOPE, and like fools...we buy into it. Someday never comes. One slick politician based an entire campaign on HOPE without defining what he actually meant by HOPE. Brilliant! He played on our human frivolity and he won the election.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado