Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2010, 11:00 PM

21 posts, read 88,209 times

Advertisements

Hi Guys,

I'm doing some planning and was considering getting a gas credit card before my friend and I move to Co this February.

We both own Range Rovers and typically takes 24 gallons to fill up of High grade gas which normally leaves us $75 per truck. I hate using my debt card (Regions) because it will refuse gas station transactions after multiple stops during the day and I think a gas card would be the best alternative method since I will be coming all the way from Alabama.

I only use Cheveron fuel and the problem is, on the way up, the last cheveron station is in Mississippi so it would be useless to get a gas card for Cheveron if I cannot use it all the way to my destination.

In Alabama our most common are Mobil, Texaco, Cheveron, Race Track and Shell.

So the question is...What are the major or most seen gas stations you see in Colorado? Preferably around Co Springs and Denver areas?

Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2010, 11:07 PM

9,846 posts, read 22,667,129 times
Conoco is the big player.

Almost all the gas sold in Colorado, regardless of the brand name like Shell for instance, comes from the Conoco refinery in Commerce City.

Old 09-29-2010, 06:47 AM

12,858 posts, read 16,861,175 times
Actually around here either City Market, King Soopers or Safeway. You get discounts from buying groceries there. And Shell and Conoco is the biguns also.

Old 09-29-2010, 08:45 AM

8,317 posts, read 29,461,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post
Conoco is the big player.

Almost all the gas sold in Colorado, regardless of the brand name like Shell for instance, comes from the Conoco refinery in Commerce City.
Or Frontier in Cheyenne, Wyoming. Or Western Refining in Farmington, New Mexico. Or Sinclair out of Rawlins, Wyoming or Duceshne, Utah. Etc. Whose "flag" is flying on the gas station, as you note, makes no real difference in whose refinery the fuel actually comes from.

As to what card to get, the best bet is just to get one of the major credit cards (Visa, Mastercard, Discover, etc.) from an issuer that gives a discount (cash back) for using their card for fuel purchases. The one I use for just that purpose gives a 5% discount for fuel purchases.

Oh, to the OP, using premium fuel, you'll be lucky to buy 25 gallons for $75 in a lot of places in Colorado. You'll be paying more than that many places right now--and I predict paying way, way more than that not too far in the future. You'd better love those gas guzzling pigs, because they're gonna cost you plenty to feed.

Old 09-29-2010, 08:59 AM

2,756 posts, read 12,971,439 times
As mentioned, Conoco by far is the leader in regular gas stations. The second one is Shell, which is also served by most of the Circle-K convenience stores. Diamond Shamrock is also pretty popular, along with the Citgo gas you find at many 7-11s and other convenience stores. Occasionally you also see Total. Mobil, Exxon, Chevron, Texaco, Amoco, BP, and other national chains are not very common here, especially in Metro Denver. In fact some of them don't exist at all -- for example I don't think I've ever seen a Mobil or Chevron in Metro Denver anywhere, though I could be wrong.

Grocery Stores Gas pumps are very popular and generally cheaper but you will need their discount cards to properly use them. (I don't believe they have credit cards). Coming here, it would be a good idea to get a discount card since you'll likely be shopping at one of the two major grocery stores here: Safeway or King Soopers/City Market. (King Soopers/City Market are members of the Kroger stores so other Kroger stores cards like Kroger, Fry's, and others will work fine, Safeway also has regional names like Randal's).

Old 09-29-2010, 08:29 PM

3,158 posts, read 6,120,115 times
The biggest player is Conoco. There a quite a few Diamond Shamrock, and some Shell and Sinclair stations around as well.

As for the others, Chevron, Total, Amoco, Mobil, Exxon, and BP all used to have presences in Denver, but they sold out to the others who are left.

Old 10-09-2010, 11:50 AM

21 posts, read 88,209 times
Thanks for the suggestions, in that a case I probably will get a credit card for back up, i'm just concerned that I will get a low limit and reach it pretty fast.

Old 10-10-2010, 10:23 AM

363 posts, read 1,042,979 times
Conoco, but you don't need hi-test (premium) gas at those elevations. We used 91 instead of 93 on the beemer.

Old 10-10-2010, 11:38 AM

11,554 posts, read 53,149,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plainsman48 View Post
Conoco, but you don't need hi-test (premium) gas at those elevations. We used 91 instead of 93 on the beemer.
91 octane is commonly sold as the "premium" gas in the high altitude region ... the gas suppliers take advantage of the derating for the area. You'll still need to buy the "premium" gas for your RRovers in Denver. You will not find 93 octane gas at the pumps here.

"regular gas" here is 85 octane, mid-range is 87.

All of the supermarket retailers will accept any of the major credit cards. It helps to shop there and build up the "points" which allow you up to 10 cents per gallon discount on so many gallons of gasoline. I've even done this in SLC, when I was enroute to clients ... bought the minimum amount of supplies for my road travels and qualified to fill up my vehicle at 10 cents per gallon discount, and used a 3% rebate credit card for the purchase.

Old 10-12-2010, 07:25 PM

363 posts, read 1,042,979 times
Actually regular is 81, 82 & 83 octane, mid grade (a mix of reg and prem) is 85, 86 & 87 and high test is 89 & 91
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado