Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you believe that all vehicles should abide by Colorado and county noise laws, and that these shou
Yes, most definitely! 9 90.00%
What, I can't hear you. Besides which, what are you going to do, why bother? 1 10.00%
No way dude, I like being a hoon. 0 0%
Voters: 10. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2010, 09:32 PM

2,253 posts, read 6,959,600 times

Advertisements

It has come to my attention, for some time now, that many motorists in Colorado are anti-social. This judged not from all their other misdeeds, but just from all the needless racket they willfully force everyone else to endure. Spend any time near a road in the country, in town, just about anywhere, and this will be more than obvious: that it is entirely possible for a motor vehicle to run and pass by with little noise, hardly noticed, while others are 'adjusted' by their owners to make as much noise as possible, or at least get away with. Which turns out be quite a lot.

You might also be surprised to learn that such practices are also illegal. "Because noise often has an adverse effect on human beings physiologically and psychologically,"[1] Colorado has laws mandating allowable noise levels. In residential areas that allowed is 55dba during the day, 50dba at night. However, for some reason motor vehicles are granted far greater leeway, and although it varies the general maximum is 86dba. Counties can set their own statutes, with one such as Larimer allowing 80dba, 86dba for vehicles with a gross weight exceeding (GVWR) 10,000 pounds.[2]

I am informed by law enforcement that something like 90-95% of motorcycles in Larimer County have modified mufflers which may well be in violation of the law. Colorado statute 25-12-107, which pertains specifically to motorcycles, allows jurisdictions to prohibit vehicles which exceed certain noise levels. This varies depending on speed and year of the vehicle, but the maximum under any circumstance is 90dba.[3]

This can vary by jurisdiction, but I am also informed that such miscreants are viewed by law enforcement as a nuisance, thus not worthy of their time which they would prefer to devote elsewhere. That not only do they not check for such things, they ignore it, and even if stopping a motorcyclist for speeding, will not also check for infractions in noise. Moreover, that even if they did, that the penalties are so low that the offender can continue repeating this to their heart's content.

So, how about it? Would you enjoy a relatively quiet town and home? That any excessive noise should be looked at askance, if not prohibited, since quite possibly against the law. Or hoons run free, because who really cares, anyway?

1) 'Noise Ordinances,' Colorado Judicial Branch
Colorado State Judicial Branch - Courts - Youth and the Law - List of Laws

2) 'Section 8. Motor Vehicle Maximum Sound Levels On Public Rights Of Way,' Larimer County
97-03 Noise Levels

3) 'Colorado Revised Statues Pertaining To Motorcycles,' Riders for Justice
Colorado Motorcycle Laws
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2010, 10:27 PM

9,846 posts, read 22,580,892 times
The only time I have run across excessive noise on Colorado roads is trucks running their jake brakes in the mountains. Other than that I don't find anything unusual.

Old 10-01-2010, 10:01 AM

4,306 posts, read 13,424,047 times
I have never noticed this problem except when I use my horn to tell some idiot he/she is veering in to my lane
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado