Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2010, 10:23 PM

1,629 posts, read 2,629,273 times

Advertisements

I'm looking for some advice.

I decided to go to the DMV today to finally get a CO drivers license. Little did I know that there is up to a 30 day waiting period between the time you go in for a license and the time one is actually mailed to you. Most states issue you a permanent license on spot, but I guess Colorado DMVs haven't yet adopted that basic technology.

I need to travel by plane in about 9 days, but my drivers license was the only "official" identification I had. They punched a hole in my old license, but handed it back to me, along with some shoddy piece of paper that is supposed to serve as my temporary drivers license until I receive my permanent one in the mail.

Does anyone have any advice on where to quickly attain official identification for my trip? I know there is a slight possiblility my official drivers license will arrive in time, but I don't want to sit on pins and needles waiting.

Thanks for the help.

Last edited by new2colo; 10-08-2010 at 10:48 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2010, 10:32 PM

3,555 posts, read 7,849,962 times
I don't think punching the hole in the license invalidates it as an official ID. Why not call an airline and ask them?

Old 10-08-2010, 10:40 PM

5,610 posts, read 23,310,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by new2colo View Post
Most states issue you a permanent license on spot, but I guess Colorado DMVs haven't yet adopted that basic technology.
Wrong. Most states are now imposing a waiting period and mailing your ID, and in the meantime hole-punching your old one and giving you a temporary piece of paper. And that includes Nevada, btw (I became a NV resident last year when I lived in Reno, same exact procedure as here in CO when I had to re-become a CO resident this year). And they might say "up to 30 days," but typically you can expect to receive your new ID a week later. It has to do with keeping in compliance with new federal requirements for IDs.

Old 10-08-2010, 10:48 PM

1,629 posts, read 2,629,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgod View Post
I don't think punching the hole in the license invalidates it as an official ID. Why not call an airline and ask them?
I will do that. Thanks for the advice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegaspilgrim View Post
Wrong. Most states are now imposing a waiting period and mailing your ID, and in the meantime hole-punching your old one and giving you a temporary piece of paper. And that includes Nevada, btw (I became a NV resident last year when I lived in Reno, same exact procedure as here in CO when I had to re-become a CO resident this year). And they might say "up to 30 days," but typically you can expect to receive your new ID a week later. It has to do with keeping in compliance with new federal requirements for IDs.
I was unaware that most states are now imposing a waiting period. I have lived in several states and have never had to wait more than 5 minutes for a nice, laminated license.

That's not the issue here though. The issue is that I need ID. Hopefully my license will arrive in time for my trip.

Old 10-08-2010, 10:53 PM

3,563 posts, read 5,377,574 times
Standard practice the MOMENT those planes hit those towers: Pack A Passport

Old 10-08-2010, 11:06 PM

2,394 posts, read 5,000,636 times
I thought that was weird about CO too, I came from FL and you get both your license on the spot at the DMV and when you purchase a car at a dealership you get your plate on the spot too. Here they give you some silly temp tag and you have to wait (haven't even gotten mine in 1 month yet) to get some paperwork before you can go to the tag office and get a plate.

Seems like the DMV/Tag here are years behind in comparison

Old 10-08-2010, 11:42 PM

948 posts, read 1,386,266 times
I had the same issue a few years ago.
Call some of these smaller towns and see if they can get you taken care of sooner. I used the one in Frisco
CO - Colorado DMV Locations

Old 10-09-2010, 12:01 AM

17,815 posts, read 25,637,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snikt View Post
I thought that was weird about CO too, I came from FL and you get both your license on the spot at the DMV and when you purchase a car at a dealership you get your plate on the spot too. Here they give you some silly temp tag and you have to wait (haven't even gotten mine in 1 month yet) to get some paperwork before you can go to the tag office and get a plate.

Seems like the DMV/Tag here are years behind in comparison
And that is why FL is a free for all on the roads. Anyone moving there is handed a DL with no testing.

It also leads the nation in uninsured drivers. Maybe because in most states you must have proof of insurance before getting the plates.

I prefer some checking, testing, and waiting periods.

Old 10-09-2010, 06:34 AM

14,129 posts, read 31,253,676 times
If you're really worried about it you could go get a passport expedited to you. You don't have to have a driver's license to fly. Find the post office near you that handles passports and they should be able to take care of it for you. You'll have to lay out some coin but it'll be good for several years.

Old 10-09-2010, 07:56 AM

50,809 posts, read 24,321,239 times
Even if your license arrives in time, don't "rest assured" that it will be right. In July when my drivers license finally arrived in the mail I opened it, all the written data was correct...with someone else's photo! Of course, there was good news...I looked 30 years younger! :-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado