U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-10-2010, 04:41 PM

6 posts, read 18,399 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone, I am new to this site and have some questions about Canon City, Colorado. In a few months I will be relocating to Canon City for a good job offer. I have read quite a few colorful posts about Canon City and still do not know what to expect. I have been trying to do research on apartment living in Canon City but apart from the names of some apartments, they have no websites and there is no information about them except for addresses and phone numbers. Could you please give me some information about good well maintained apartments in Canon City or surrounding areas that is maximum 20 min drive from Canon City/Florence area? I am single and concerned that Canon City may not be a good match for singles in their late thirties and female. What does Canon City have to offer for single people? Is the population older and married? I have also considered living in Colorado Springs but not sure if commuting every day especially in Winter is ideal. I would appreciate any advise you can give me. Thanks
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2010, 05:07 PM

18,536 posts, read 25,367,214 times
This is the Connecticut forum, so I don't think you'll find much help from us! You wanted to post in the Colorado forum.

Either way, good luck with your move.

Old 10-11-2010, 07:54 AM

29,564 posts, read 46,477,009 times
I will relocate this to the Colorado forum. JayCT, Moderator

Old 10-11-2010, 12:49 PM

5,296 posts, read 10,670,295 times
I can't answer your questions specifically, but you could start with checking out the city's website at Official Website of the City of Cañon City and the chamber of commerce at canoncity.com The chamber site has a relocation guide.

Would it be at all possible for you to visit before you make the final decision to move? It is not a big city; population is only 16,000, and it may not be a good fit for you. On the other hand, it could be a really fun experience for a couple of years.

Last edited by Dreaming of Hawaii; 10-11-2010 at 12:50 PM.. Reason: fix typo

Old 10-11-2010, 02:20 PM

486 posts, read 1,359,003 times
Your best bet for finding a decent apartment rental would be to contact a local realtor or property manager who can assist you with finding a rental from afar.

I don't know much about the rental situation in Canon City, but I did have a friend who rented in the Country Green apartments across from Walmart and she liked it there.

Old 10-12-2010, 09:57 AM

8,317 posts, read 27,096,825 times
I can't speak about the rental situation in Cañon, but as far as the social scene for you as a single 30-something female--well, like most of rural Colorado communities, there aren't a lot of single females in your age group, so expect to get asked out on dates--a lot. In most rural communities a single lady who doesn't have a lot of "issues" or "baggage" is a very sought-after commodity.

Don't set yourself up for a long and sometimes miserable (in winter, especially) commute from Colorado Springs. Cañon is a nice town--if I had to live over in that neck of the woods, it would be a top choice for me.

Old 10-12-2010, 02:11 PM

529 posts, read 1,220,938 times
Isn't Florence where one of the SuperMax prisons is located?

Old 10-12-2010, 03:03 PM

1,331 posts, read 4,696,041 times
YES..Florence is where the supermax prison is located ( better known as the "Alcatraz of the Rockies).......By the way...that is FEDERAL NOT State!! However,....even though, down the road, Canon City is not known for the Federal prisons, it is known for the STATE prisons!! Used to be 13 ...now about...hmmmmmm...9 or more. DO NOT panic!! They are all on the outskirts of town and truly pose NO THREAT!! All they do is provide a ton of jobs!! Just google DOC of Colorado to get an idea of whats available....Most of my husbands family works for DOC. They live in Colorado Springs btw..my husband used to be a Major at Territorial Prison.

I am sitting in my kitchen in Daytona Beach Shores right now (Been here 4 weeks today)....with sweeping views of the ocean and intercoastal!!! It truly is beautiful!!! BUT, it is NOT Canon City, Colorado (my fave!! And, I grew up in Denver!!)......
Try Canon City...its the bomb.
Heres my faves in order......Canon City,....Breckenridge...Evergreen....Applewood...V ail....Dillon. JMO!! Denver is NOT there, even though thats where I grew up!! Aurora (Now Centennial) is where I spent the second part of my young adult life. I loved it but, I hear parts are undesirable!!
I tend to like small towns with views that are within minutes of larger cities.....like 30 t0 45 minutes. Afterall......I know NOONE who goes to the theater, plays, HUGE restaurants, museums, etc....every week..PLEASE!!! Unless your last name is "Trump"..you have more money than me and shouldn't be looking for advice on a forum!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 10-21-2010, 06:38 PM

6 posts, read 18,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
This is the Connecticut forum, so I don't think you'll find much help from us! You wanted to post in the Colorado forum.

Either way, good luck with your move.
sorry, made a mistake. thanks

Thanks for everyone's assistance. I realized i posted on Connecticut forum instead of Colorado. You all were pretty cool about it. Thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
I will relocate this to the Colorado forum. JayCT, Moderator
thank you

Last edited by Mike from back east; 10-21-2010 at 07:10 PM..

Old 02-11-2011, 08:37 PM

5 posts, read 16,285 times
Default Don't do it

Do Not, repeat Do Not move to a prison town unless you will be working at the prisons! Is that short and to the point for you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado