Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2010, 09:55 AM

1,742 posts, read 3,116,799 times

Advertisements

The last thing I want is to have my activites or whereabouts tracked while skiing. This is ridiculous.
Ski-pass tracking: Is it Big Brother on the slopes, or a fun Facebook app? - The Denver Post
RP
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2010, 11:14 AM

8,317 posts, read 29,473,840 times
Don't want to be tracked, don't ski. Pretty simple. It's not like it's an essential-to-life activity. I'd be more worried about the grocery chain using their discount cards to track what I buy to eat.

Old 10-21-2010, 11:31 AM

229 posts, read 750,788 times
Yeah, I don't want Vail knowing how bad a skier I am. And I don't want King Soopers knowing how many sleeves of fig newtons I eat in a week.

Old 10-21-2010, 12:44 PM

7,841 posts, read 18,999,002 times
movementarian wrote:
Yeah, I don't want Vail knowing how bad a skier I am. And I don't want King Soopers knowing how many sleeves of fig newtons I eat in a week.
Don't sweat the samll stuff. Compared to Big brother, Vail is a small time operator. Big brother probably has these idiosynchrocies of yours coded into the Big Brother database...and many more too. Big brother is likely to know what brand of underwear we wear, which pair we are wearing today, how many times we've worn that particular pair previously, and wether or not they have any stains on them.

Old 10-21-2010, 01:07 PM

2,253 posts, read 6,986,755 times
Wink But a reminder

"Federal trade regulators for years have been tracking the spread of radio-frequency technology, which increasingly is embedded in credit cards, passports, items for sale in malls and experimental driver's licenses. But the government has not set limits."
- from the 'Denver Post'

Younger generations are said not to have the same concerns with privacy as their forebears, which would be helpful, as retaining it is increasingly difficult. They might enjoy devoting as much attention to Facebook as actually skiing when on the mountain, which, from their perspective, would prove one of the positives in this development of RF technology within the ski industry. For those concerned with being tracked, as mentioned in this article, there are viable workarounds, for now.

However, people being what they are, one might question just how long the corporations who own these resorts will be able to resist the temptation to combine this acquired data with personal information, the names, phone numbers, addresses, and credit-card numbers of their customers. My guess is that they effectively will not for very long. That at first it will be an opt-in offer with perceived benefits in disclosing such information, then more the norm, and later something difficult to opt-out of or avoid.

If one might at last decide simply not to ski, that but one facet of this far larger movement. The expectation and reality of less individual privacy is a topic for another post. As far as RF tags are concerned, they are increasingly everywhere. Quite small, nearly invisible, or when incorporated in design precisely so. They can be self-powered, although more usually derive necessary energy from the signals through which their data is transferred. They are miniature computers, with the ability to do far more than merely note their wearers geographic location.

It is not so much the technology, which can have many beneficial uses as well, but how it is applied, or misused. That is determined by people, more exactly those they have allowed control over them. So look to your neighbor, your government and society, and reflect one how metaphysically advanced they are or not. Then yourself, in which all begins.

Old 10-21-2010, 01:33 PM

529 posts, read 1,325,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzlover View Post
Don't want to be tracked, don't ski. Pretty simple. It's not like it's an essential-to-life activity. I'd be more worried about the grocery chain using their discount cards to track what I buy to eat.
I'm screwed. I buy too much red meat, butter and beer. Monsanto meat that is....

Old 10-21-2010, 02:12 PM

664 posts, read 2,066,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movementarian View Post
With the Sooper Cards I have noticed that you can just ask for a new one and then never turn in our info or put down a bogus address and you'll still get the discounts. I'm not sure you can still do this but in the past I've had an 'extra' card in case I forget mine and it has no info attached to it.

Old 10-21-2010, 03:33 PM

7,841 posts, read 18,999,002 times
Ziasforever wrote:
Monsanto meat that is....
That stuff is probably radioactive and easy to track!

Old 10-21-2010, 03:40 PM

529 posts, read 1,325,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicWizard View Post
Ziasforever wrote:
Monsanto meat that is....
That stuff is probably radioactive and easy to track!
All I can say is my teeth have never been whiter! Don't know why they're falling out though.

Old 10-21-2010, 04:56 PM

18,218 posts, read 25,857,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzlover View Post
Jazzlover and Cosmic are right. I've been getting quite an education lately regarding these information data systems. Pretty creepy if you ask me. But I understand where Proveick is coming from, I do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado